back to article Court orders seizure of PS3 hacker's computers

A federal judge ordered prolific hacker Geohot to turn over his computers and hard drives and to stop publishing the tools used to root Sony's PlayStation 3 after finding his hack was likely a violation of US copyright law. The temporary restraining order was issued on Thursday by US District Judge Susan Illston of San …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

18 years and counting.......

....... I have not purchased anything from Sony. I purchased a Sony TV in 92 that was awful in terms of quality and reliability (was one of the top Trinitron range at the time), Received very bad service and vowed then not to buy anything else from them. Over the years, with their various underhanded actions against consumers, It has become a principle thing.

I do not give my custom to any company that operates in a similar fashion to Sony (and Apple). Of course I am sure I have purchased hardware with Sony components in but that is unavoidable.

As a techie nerd I always get asked by friends and family what I would recommend in terms of the latest gizmo's............. Sony are simply blacklisted, I do explain that some of the kit is good but also add information on the way they trade. I do not recommend Apple either, I just make sure the buyer is aware of what they getting themselves into.

I am happy to report that I have 100% success rate with Sony (as in nobody I know has bought any of their kit) and only a couple of people ended up buying Apple iPhones (but not computers).

Same old story, if more people do this, ultimately these companies will have to re-think the way they treat consumers.

MJI
Silver badge

Blacklisting - who loses?

I buy what is good, manufacturer doesn't matter.

Sony make some of the best video cameras - so when I needed a new one - what did I get? I am not going to buy something else just due to brand - that is a little silly.

I would even buy Apple of they made something I wanted and were best or good at it.

Black Helicopters

They're trying to crack down on the internets

Feds and Met close in on kids and young people assuming they've captured all the ringleaders of the recent anonymous 'retribution' activities.

Apple and Sony sue to prevent you from 1) being able to use their software/firmware in a way that they feel is not in keeping with their terms and conditions and which may harm their commercial interests in some obscure way 2) being able to spread the knowledge on the internet so that they cannot control it or prevent people from seeing and using it.

EU president makes noises about controlling the internets in some fashion to make it 'fair' for everybody and protect us all from ourselves.

Great firewalls in China and Australia are maintained to filter anything which may be harmful to us or our children.

US has public (corporate) debate on whether there should be a two tier internet.

Is it me, or is the old guard trying to crack down on the internet so that in the future, when the revolution comes, we will be powerless to twitter together a flash mob to protest about our inability to enforce our rights to use our sentient internet connected bread toasters as we damned well please?

Come to think of it, will protesting be legal by then?

FAIL

As someone above cleverly said...

Do what you want with the hardware, its yours you bought it. The software however is still the property of Sony and breaking this is against the law (and should be in my opinion).

And around games being expensive, take the movie industry as an example. The recent COD game (or MW2 i cant remember) had a similar budget to Titanic. Personal tastes aside people pay between £10-£15 to watch a film at the cinema and between £5-£20 for the DVD/Bluray is purchased when it comes out.

Now take an average price of £40 each game I think its very good value for money, in fact I would say its better value for money than watching a film. Include MP games and the value for money gets even better (if you play these).

Think what I am saying is the game industry market is growing but is still relatively small compared to the movie industry which can take advantage of economies of scale.

The whole "games are too expensive" argument is null and void, take it into the realy world and think about it for a bit.

Silver badge
FAIL

Epic fail part 2 Sony

After all the rampant homebrew on PSP hurt Sony...oh, wait, not at all. In fact, it actually HELPED their bottom line as people lined up to buy the things so they could run homebrew apps (that is the sole reason anyone I know who had a first gen PSP went that route rather than getting Game Boys of various flavors).

That said, what's the big deal? So the PS3 is cracked. Big deal. So is every other console on the planet. It would have been cracked years ago if not for the other OS option. It's no coincidence that we didn't see a softmod until after Sony removed other OS. It's simple: The Linux-on-a-toaster crowd are the ones with the skill to get homebrew on consoles. Take away their reason for cracking your console and you'll never have to worry about pirates making a softmod. That was epic fail part 1.

Fab
Alert

If dont like the PS3, then fair enough but...

If dont like the PS3, then fair enough but stop going on about how aweful it is , how you would never buy from Sony and it seems you never had anyway.

Its that simple, dont like the PS3/Sony, then shut up and go away. This has nothing to do with you!

We have all the current consoles in our household (PS3/360/Wii). I happen to prefer the PS3. I dont want to go into a bitch fest to why, but its the one I like.

I'm also quite happy that Sony is trying to keep the PS3 locked down. It means that if I play online I can play against other people that havent got a cracked copy with some rampant cheating.

I dont delude myself to thinking that Sony is doing what they are doing to benefit anything but their business but the way I see it is that NOTHING they are doing is going to me any harm. In fact, SHOCK HORROR, I'm pleased.

Benefit to me:

- No cracked game allowing online cheating

- Games can be shared between friends as they not locked down to a machine/account

- No piracy means that the PS3 is a sustainable platform for game developers

Disadvantages:

- None

If you want "Freedom", get Linux and develop away. If you want "Free", get an Xbox or PC and download pirated from the Torrents. Why the anti-Sony brigade keep bitching is beyond me .....

Flame on...

Unhappy

Money

Does anyone know how much it costs to buy a judge?

Sony does.

WTF?

Jurisdiction gone mad

So does this mean that if I use Twitter or Paypal I'm subject to the jurisdiction of the American courts, even if what I'm doing is perfectly legal where I am (the UK)?

Flame

hey Sony F-U!

I was seriously considering purchasing a PS3 to add to my entertainment system.

Wii and Xbox are out of the question already.

I won't be purchasing ANYTHING Sony anytime soon.

I've got plenty of other tech toys so I won't be hurting.

This is just the latest BS they've pulled and it's the last straw.

FAIL

latest BS

Trying to protect their platform?

Are you a cretin or something? Wouldn't you do exactly the same?

Flame

Ridiculous sense of self enitlement

When you buy a PS3 it is heavily subsidised based on the asumption that you will buy legitimate games and films for it. If you then mess around with it so that you can copy games without paying for them, it is not unreasonable to consider that a bad thing. If this guy is publicising the means to do that, then shutting him up is not a bad thing.

There have been some dubious strawman analogies thrown up in this thread, several involving car parts. Well here's a more accorate analogy -

It's like messing around with the engine management software in your car to circumvent that annoying reverse collision detection system system you don't like 'because it is your hardware' . The result is a less safe car, and in addition to voiding the warranty and your insurance you should also be liable if you reverse over someone

Just because you own a device does not mean you should have the right to alter it in a way that potentially harms others - either physically or financially. Get it into your self-righteous little heads.

Silver badge

Actually, I AM entitled.

You see, your example of backing over someone is covered by OTHER LAWS. As long as I don't mess around DIRECTLY with anyone, I should not be held criminally responsible for ANYTHING. My toys, my rules. If I wake up the neighbors with an overdriven amp, that's Disturbing the Peace. If I monkey with my well and mess up the neighbors' as well, that would likely be Criminal Negligence. If I back into someone and hurt them, that's either Criminal Negligence or Vehicular Assault, depending on the severity. But if the only person I affect is myself, then it's none of your business. Or would you like your fundamental right to property compromised further?

FAIL

Ridiculous analogy

<quote>It's like messing around with the engine management software in your car to circumvent that annoying reverse collision detection system system you don't like 'because it is your hardware' . The result is a less safe car, and in addition to voiding the warranty and your insurance you should also be liable if you reverse over someone</quote>

The only similarity between being able to run your own software on hardware that you've paid for, and what you describe above is this: *Absolutely fuck-all*

Thumb Down

Re: Ridiculous sense of self enitlement

Your subsidy argument and car analogy are both bizarre and incompetent. As an AC I take it Sony or there partners are paying you well.

Bread is frequently discounted by supermarkets. They don't get to tell their customers that they can only use it for sandwiches, and cannot use it to make toast or bread pudding.

The car analogy is Sony selling a saloon. Some time later at a routine service the Sony service centre fits a new lock on boot so that the owner cannot use it any more. The owner, wanting to carry luggage in the boot, discovers that it was not a good lock and that a readily available cheap padlock key will unlock the boot. He happily can carry luggage again and vows only to use non-Sony franchised service centres in the future. The owner tells his friends how they can regain the full use of their Sony cars.

Sony gets very angry with the owner. They ask a judge in another state to punish the owner for potentially carrying non-Sony authorized goods and giving Sony all of the owners cars, motorcycles, bicycles and transport related goods "just in case". They also demand that the owner be responsible for removing all the cheap padlock keys in the universe.

Talking of Straw Men...

"It's like messing around with the engine management software in your car to circumvent that annoying reverse collision detection system system you don't like 'because it is your hardware' . The result is a less safe car, and in addition to voiding the warranty and your insurance you should also be liable if you reverse over someone"

Ford will not care if I do something like that - they may decline to honor the warrentee, but they won't care. Likewise, as long as I inform my insurance company they can up my premiums, or decide they no longer want to cover me, but beyond that they won't give a damn.

Real world, tech example. Nexus One. When I unlocked the bootloader Google explicitly told me that if I went ahead my warrentee would be void. They did nothing to stop me. Likewise they did nothing to stop me rooting. I might have lost root with one update, but it was trivial to root again. They might not warrentee my hardware any more, but they dont care enough to stop me using their services or stop sending me OTA updates.

THAT is how its done.

MJI
Silver badge

Cars - similar to PS3 in this case

Yes you own the car, yes you can swap bits over, but the car firmware rights still belongs to the manufacturer.

Thumb Down

stupid

they can do what they like to him, its not going to stop their games getting ripped off now and its not going to stop the same happening to other peoples software in the future. still if they want to throw big bags o' cash away on lawsuits and bribes well that their prerogative, can't help thinking it would be better spent teaching their staff to do crypto better or learning from past mistakes re: pissing off the people actually capable of breaking your crypto.

also what exactly makes jailbreaking (stupid word, why did we stop just saying cracking?) the PS3 different from doing the exact same thing to the jesusphone? the dmca is such a fucking mess.

the sudden change of the judges opnion re: her jurisdiction over hotz is really is mightily suspicious too.

FAIL

Geohot is a hero

For standing up for the rights of consumers to use hardware they bought legally how they want.

If you ask me, Sony is behaving like a spoilt child by taking away our "sweeties" (Linux support, use of third party controllers which are far superior to the 6axis, third party Bluetooth controllers, use of old games, dev'r settings, etc) and deserves everything they get.

Due to Sony's stupidity and buggy firmware I am personally down nearly £220 because they broke my PS3 with their sh*tty V3.50 causing it to RSoD, and then demanded £150 to "fix" it.

Needless to say they can go and stick their firmware up their overpriced squeaking garbage disposal chutes, as I am not going to be firmware upgrading any device except to open :-)

And advising everyone I know to do the same, before they are locked out forever.

AC, because Sony are almost as bad as the MPAA for sending armies of lawyers after people.

FAIL

are you an idiot?

Sony removed Linux, OtherOS because GeoHot has using it to have the system. It wasn't the other way round like you suggest.

PS. They didn't "demand" £150 to fix your console, it was out of warranty and they offered the service, you weren't under any obligation to take them up on the offer.

Seems this thread has been invaded my 10yr olds that don't understand basic principles.

Linux

failoverflow are heros

geohot just followed their instructions on how to get the key he provided. The keys failoverflow provided already enabled linux support and homebrew, they didn't continue on to find the one geohot provided because they claimed it was only useful for piracy, but they then explained how you would go on to recover it. I imagine sony made it that way specifically so they could point out that the hack didn't have other legitimate uses.

Anonymous Coward

America=Nazi Germany

SCOny have struck gold in the land of the Nazis

as they say

the law is an ass.

I don't want to live in a country where your 'forced' to give up anything that isn't connected to the bodily harm of another. Surely I would back this up if the ps3 and computers were out killing people but these are simply civil matters that should never involve any 'force' for a mega corporation to go after joe user.

If you want to compare how stupid this is just think of your little neighborhood and say you know yourself that someone raped your sister/girlfriend. You know where the guy lives yet because of the way the legal system works he's out on bail. If you were to infringe upon this persons residence and attempt to claim property/evidence you would find yourself in jail yet these mega corporations get away with basically writing the law as they go around.

So sony and others like them are getting away from taking axes to disabled people in wheelchairs downloading mp3's to people that are spending hundreds of dollars on their outsourced garbage.

I had a 3d0 many years ago and it was light years ahead of the playstations to follow it. I recall the 3do even providing an ability for others to create their own games in a non-competitive environment.

The 3d0 had at least 3 hardware manufacturers and a wide array of software companys that had products on shelves around the country. One of them was actually listed as a local company as to where I live. While I don't know if this was just a ploy to list a local address it wasn't a po box and I wasn't of age to drive so I never was able to know if the place had a physical presence.

Still it all beats what Sony, Microsoft, and others do with their closed arena of gaming systems.

Now they are using the courts to come into your home?

Don't buy their products. I haven't purchased a cd in years unless it was/is from an artist that stood up to the nazi style tactics of the music industry and I sure as hell haven't purchased anything "Sony" since my ps2.

Unhappy

Up yours, Sony

First they try and 'hack' lots of people's machines by surreptitiously installing rootkits, now they get in a tizzy because someone's hacking their machines.

It's like the kettle has been bludgened to death by the pot.

Sony have become quite the bastards over the last decade, I remember way back when they used to be a nice company and made cassette walkmans, and so did this enterprising chap - http://www.retropod.com/ - who started selling old yellow Sports Walkmans that were turned into 'trendy' iPod cases, but Sony didn't like that he was selling used cases so they threatened legal action (read the front page on the site). How petty minded can you get? FFS.

Flame

Not fair

As a Linux user myself, I'm all for the open source movement and the hacking of hardware to make it do things it wasn't supposed to do.

But to post hacks on the internet that pirates can use to play downloaded games is not necessary. I feel as though it penalises the people who use their PS3 as it should be used.

You get a few thousand people taking advantage of the exploits and on the other hand, millions of legitimate users who have to constantly update their firmware and go through other security processes that Sony will now be rolling out.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017