back to article Ubuntu Wayland: Shuttleworth's post-Mac makeover

Ubuntu Linux spent the last few months of 2010 dropping bombshells on the Linux world. Founder Mark Shuttleworth is clearly intent on shaking the foundations of his popular Linux distro and pushing it, and Linux at large, in new directions. Shuttleworth is fast becoming the Steve Jobs of Linux - one man, one vision, one …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. kb9aln

UI differences.

I've used Linux for my home computer for quite some time. Have another at work and support Windows 2000, XP, Vista and 7 at work (a small but very busy retailer). I inevitably get a few questions from some of my non-computer-literate friends who own Macs (on my recommendation). I don't hear from them too often, though.

This means that I have experience using all major desktops. Overall, I find Windows of any kind to be the most irritating to use. Mac has me irritated far less. The concepts used in the Mac UI, although uniform and usually simple and usable, feel very limiting to me. Yeah, I hear ya on the window resizing thing.

Recently, I changed from Slackware/Fluxbox (after using others for quite a while) to Ubuntu 10.04 (LTS). Added the Mac theme for fun, and it does have an intermittently appearing global menu bar (not all applications support it) - that takes some getting used to. I like the Cairo dock, and have used some form of dock for quite a while now. Kinda like the theme, in spite of the Apple logo that appears in the top panel. After a mostly painless install, this is my preferred desktop. It combines some of the polish and usability that Apple is known for, while still retaining some of the Linux flexibility.

I do like the idea of Wayland, even if it doesn't pan out. A reworking of X sounds good, too. Not so sure about the one-size-fits-all nature of Unity. But not trying something new means never knowing what works - or doesn't. Or how to change that something to make it work. This is how progress is made.

I prefer the various options available to me when it comes to UI. The choice available is one of the best things about FOSS. I like the choice of trying something new, as well as the choice of reverting back to the old if the new is not my cup of tea.

2. Rob Davis

@AC13:35GMT 23 Dec, Copy protected materials.../@JEDIDIAH Someone let a troll...18:54

I was trying to introduce a non-techie friend to Ubuntu.

One of the first questions they had was: "Does it play DVDs?"

So we put one in and it didn't play. Then I followed the official advice regarding installing packages etc. and some played but not all, those that didn't played on the same machine running Windows.

Sure DVD has some protections and restrictions but I don't see why these can't be overcome, after all, Ubuntu can run on a chip, an Intel and a motherboard with a graphics card that all contain proprietary technology.

Widespread mass Ubuntu use is something I'm not sure that the technically adept want, sadly, judging by the comments on these forums sometimes. It seems like some form of clique snobbery; a fear that mass appeal will pollute the platform.

Sometimes people here look down on others who aren't technical, making a virtue out of complexity by having to tinker at the command line for example, deriding those who don't wish to.

I thought we'd moved on from that kind of snobbery as it's gone on for a long time and the associated intellectual mast**b*tion discussions about which platform is better.

But sometimes I *do* see that we have moved on here too and it's refreshing as some folks just want something to work and get on with other things.

I'm an Ubuntu and CentOS Linux user, Windows 7 and XP user and Mac OS X user. I'm a big fan of open source software, use and develop with it a lot an I think it's a healthy situation if Ubuntu becomes more successful and a viable alternative for non-techies.

As for "Someone let a troll into the castle... " posted Thursday 23rd December 2010 18:54 GMT

I really believe multiple distros can slow progress, as competition can be the enemy of compatibility.

3. Wayland Sothcott 1 Bronze badge
    Thumb Up

Wayland is lighter and more easily extensible.

I can't remember when I was last described in this way. It is true through.

4. Richard Porter

(even Apple will let you put the "dock" where you like)

OSX's "dock" is a crib of the RISC OS Icon Bar which does sit at the bottom of the screen.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019