back to article Boffins mount campaign against France's official kilogramme

International boffins are mounting a determined diplomatic push to end the practice of measuring mass by reference to a 130-year-old metal cylinder kept in France, saying that the French ingot is no longer up to the job. The Consultative Committee for Units, whose chairman is Blighty's Professor I M Mills FRS, and which counts …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. JaitcH
    Unhappy

What is the significance of a "chamfered cylinder" in a standard?

I understand the mechanical benefits of a chamfered cylinder, but what beneficial effects would they have on a static standard of weight?

1. Stoneshop
      Boffin

Chamfered

If the top and bottom had straight edges, you would be more likely to chip off a few atoms when you set it down. At least, that's the reason I can think of for doing it

2. Fluffykins Silver badge
    Pint

There's one way the French will buy it:

Consultative Committee for Units have proposed that the kilo should instead be defined in terms of the Planck constant

Just tell our vintneous friends that it will be referred to as the Plonk constant.

Tres simples.

3. Heff
    Coat

honestly?

the thing I found most fascinating about the article is wondering how these fumbling fucks get paid. you want to hold a kilo of platinum (if it were pure, you're looking at around 35 grand for a hunk that big) in several nested boxes polished by some geriatric frenchman who probably has no other job, in some specially constructed little room of wonder?

how much does this anachronistic bullshit cost us versus just defining it via non-corporeal means? hell, if you'd put the price points in and shown us how The British Taxpayer Pays for French billion-dollar paperweight, the Daily Fail woulda picked this shit up in a heartbeat.

mines the one with the quarter of bonfire toffee. mmmn. toffee.

4. CADmonkey
    Flame

Oi! Metric Sytem!

Represent a third.....go on! What's that? three point three what? LOL

FAIL!

1. Tonik
      Happy

title

1/3 kg, here you have it one third of a kilogram.

2. M Gale

33.33% recurring.

Now, define Pi in fractions, please. 3 and how many whats?

Oops.

5. Sailfish
    Boffin

Up Next: What to do about that pesky metre?

"Although it was later determined that the first prototype metre bar was short by a fifth of a millimetre because of miscalculation of the flattening of the Earth, this length became the standard. The circumference of the Earth through the poles is therefore slightly more than forty million metres."

REF: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metre

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

If

If it was good enough in 1879, it is good enough now!

But FAIL because mass is not a verb.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: mass is not a verb

Yeah but we know what he meant and if he'd said weighs we'd have have an army of pedants massing at the gates to the comments pages. Oh hang on, someone did, and they did.

1. Jimbo 6
        Joke

Wouldn't they be...

...weighting at the gates ?

7. AlanS
    Pint

MKS vs. CGS

An important difference between MKS and CGS is the unit of work. To raise perhaps 80kg by 1 metre in a 1g (10 m/s2) gravity field uses 800 Joules; in CGS, that is 80 million ergs, and that's only enough for me to get out of bed in the morning!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

It's 2010...

Where is my flying car?

9. PatrickE
    Happy

Used kilogram

If they don't have any use for it - can I have it please? Make a great door stop.

10. Eddy Ito

While we're at it.

Can we just define the mole as exactly 6 x 10e23 and round off all those other nasty constants? Let's face it, does anyone really care if a mole is about 0.37% off it's old number? I thought not, daltons are still daltons and the kilogram has been defined in more absolute terms; at least until something ionizes but who cares as long as they keep their hands off our bulgarian airbags.

11. -tim
    Pint

12 Inch pianist?

If the French been better with their astronomy, a metric foot would be nano-light-second.

12. Herby

Changing kilogram...

Kinda like the Mel Brooks "History of the World, Part 1", where Moses comes down from the mountain and says: "Here are the 15 [drops one tablet] ooops, 10 commandments". Changing kilogram, might happen so, if it changes, will my body mass index change as well, and the government charge me more for my medical insurance if it goes the wrong way?

As for the US being on the SI system. Yes, it has been for many years. All our units are defined in terms of metric units. Like an inch IS 2.54 cm.

As for Troy ounces, Linux's units command yields that they are 31.1... grams. So when you see the late night ads for "gold leaf coins" that have 31 milligrams of gold on them, that is 1/1000 of a troy ounce, or about $1.34 or so, or not very much!

13. Wibble

State of the sun & moon?

I've always wondered if the state of the sun and moon should be considered when weighing things to this accuracy. After all, these celestial objects are responsible for moving giga-tons of water around the planet. Just ask Canute. Oh, he drowned.

14. Clyde

sacré vache

That should be sacrée vache, a vache being feminine

15. Adam Trickett
    Linux

Troy Ounce are derived from metric units?

I thought that all "modern" Imperial measurements were now legally defined by deriving them from an SI unit, so even though the bank may use an ounce of gold it's actually based on the Kilo anyway...!

16. Martin H Watson

What I've never known is...

...why we pronounce Cen'timetre, Mill'imetre, but some folk say kilom-etre.

17. AndrueC Silver badge
    Headmaster

Prefixes to the lot of you

I'd far rather 'they' spent money educated people about SI prefixes.

I'm fed up with people who whine because they 'only' have a 4MB/s internet connection.

Or people who boast because they have a 50mb/s connection.

There's also no such thing as a 1tb disk. If there were it wouldn't store much data.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
      FAIL

Sir

educated != educating

You broke the first rule of pedantry.

2. M Gale

One terabit? 128 gigabytes?

I'd call that a fuckload, myself.

Question is, how much of that data is information.

18. mark 63 Silver badge

A litre of water weighs 1Kg

surely thats not a coincidence?

so whatever defines a litre also defines the KG , not some rusty block in paris?

unless the liter is defined from the 1 kg of water

19. Stoneshop
    Boffin

No definition

A liter of water (at 277K and 1*10^6Pa) is indeed 1kg, but try varying the temperature or ambient pressure a bit and you'll be sufficiently off to throw any semblance of precision out the window. And precision counts in definitions. So anything that doesn't rely on other measurements is to be preferred: [large_number of stable_atoms] is quite a bit better than [amount of fluid that goes in a container of some size at this temperature and that pressure]

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: definition

But the main problem is that the Pascal unit to measure pressure is in part derived from the kilogram, so the kg can't be based on an amount of water at a particular pressure because then you get a circular definition.

20. James Pickett

Alive and well

I was pleased to hear a recent birth announcement on the radio expressed in pounds and ounces. Metric never quite cuts it for babies, somehow.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like