back to article 3D films fall flat

There are indications that Hollywood's rush to extract extra cash from cinemagoers in return for an extra visual dimension might be doomed to follow previous 3D initiatives into the cutting room bin. The release of Avatar last December - the James Cameron epic which grossed $2.7bn - had movie execs licking their lips at the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. JDX Gold badge
    Pint

Fad?

3D is a fad, just like HD and colour, mark my words we'll be back to black & white with subtitles once the novelty wears off. Even sound is a bit gimmicky, it gives you headaches when loud - better to revert to subtitles.

In seriousness, made-in-3D is not silly. But just like fancy THX and IMax, it's pointless for romantic comedies and period dramas... more suited for 'frivolous' films like action and explosions which tend to get critically dissed anyway.

Crap as the film was Avatar was pretty amazing; I wouldn't want to watch it in 2D. I'm sure people will find how to use 3D properly... just wait until we get the 3D equivalent of "The Matrix" introducing new things not used in filming before.

2. Raz

3D movie

The only movie that was worthy in Real D (I have seen Avatar, Shrek 4, Clash of the Titans, Alice, Final Destination 3) was Beowulf. I will never forget the charging rider whos spear stopped two inches in front of my nose.

3. Mage Silver badge
    Pirate

Ripping off

1) Camcorder through one lens of 3D glasses

2) There are "3D" Camcorders. put 3D glasses on it.

Probably they will bring a small person with camcorder fitted inside fake head?

4. SlabMan

I'm waiting for the 3D conversion of...

Ingmar Bergman's 'The Seventh Seal'.

Should be a hoot.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

2D/3D

I think 3D will come into being the same way colour did... a lot of crap shot in the previous format with no thought to how it looks in the new. You don't shoot colour the same as B&W and the same is true for 3D. Avatar wasn't a great movie, but it was visually impressive in 3D. Same for Monsters vs. Aliens. My problem with some of the others has been a messed up field of depth. I got one hell of a headache because my g.f. wanted me to see Dave Mathews Band in 3D. Great music, but only part of the scenes were in 3D. It looked really bad and I kept trying to focus in something that had no depth.

As far as Star Wars... please stop giving Lucas an excuse to bastardize another revision of these films. It was bad enough that Greedo shot first. Now we've got the super-duper special effects version, the added mindless background cgi robots/creatures and re-cut storyline. I just want a BD version of the first three films (well... 2 if you get down to it) without all the extra crap in it. I'm really willing to watch the original special effects and Han shooting first. Really Lucas... you can make money off of people like me.

Anon... well, I'm at work and this is more productive than my co-workers are being.

1. Goat Jam
      Joke

Ummm

"Dave Mathews Band in 3D"

That would be what used to be called "going to a concert" then, right?

3D is definitely the best way to see a band. I remember seeing KISS in 3D a few years back. Metallica and Pink Floyd too. It was so realistic that it felt like I was "really there!"

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Distorted figures anyway...

My local Vue (Finchley Road O2) only appears to be showing 2D version of Toy Story during the day, if me and the mrs want to see it we are forced to go after work and watch a 3D version, whether we like it or not. So the % of people who see 3D isn't necessarily the % who would choose to given a level playing field...

It added to Avatar because it was designed to, I'm less enthusiastic about other films although I am curious how Pixar will do with Toy Story. I will certainly not be doing it at home though, sitting in the living room with stupid glasses on a standard TV with my furniture in the periphery - it'd be a bag-o-turd.

7. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

It's early days

I'm old enough to remember the first days of stereo. That was a good indication - the first few years it all had to be very, very obvious. That "Play that funky music" - the music starts hard in one corner, and then the rest comes in from the other side - these days we go for accurate definition of the player's position.

Avatar was well used 3D because it was in Cameron's thinking from day one. It takes quite some time to get your head around that new dimension, with Alice in Wonderland showing what you have to avoid (depth of vision, for example, is something that has to be re-thought to draw focus to a particular part of the scene). We'll have a few more clangers before 3D becomes an integral part of a movie experience, but it will come. It has drawn me back into the cinema whereas before I no longer could be bothered..

However, AFAIK, on the back of 3D was another revolution: full digital delivery of content. Every theater that had a "3D conversion" had a bit more than just a new screen and sound system: the way the movie gets on the screen is different too, as it's played straight from hard disk to screen (this also provided the startup problems as the transmissions are DRM protected and they screwed up in a few cinemas). It's basically a larger and better version of the thing you use to show Powerpoint slides.. To me, that was a much bigger revolution than 3D - this time there was enough of an argument to do it (it's been tried before).

As I said before, give it time. In a couple of years or so you will expect it as standard..

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm waiting for the 3D conversion of...

The Laurel and Hardy classics.

9. Keith Doyle

I love 3D stereo, but...

I have a collection of 3D stereo. Viewmaster reels, realist format slides, and a couple of stereo cameras. I know how to make stereo still images from any digital camera. I've messed around with stereo projectors, and written software to render computer generated 3D in stereo for viewing systems and projectors.

But in commercial movies, it's just one more thing to go wrong. Which means, it adds additional risk. And risk is something to which the film business is averse. Unfortunately, that's not likely to ever change, at least in a system that's based on capitalism. Color may have seemed that way as well at first, but it's benefit was significant, required less special preparation (when in fact, B&W needed special color consideration itself, as a red dress in reality could end up looking black on screen, or the same 'shade' as a green one when it's supposed to be different). Sound too, brought immediate benefit and actually may have made it easier in some ways to make films. Stereo is always extra work, and extra risk, and the benefit is uncertain. If the business ever gets around to preferring uncertainty, perhaps then 3D mainstream movies will be allowed to get to the point where they consistently do well...

10. J 3
    FAIL

Meh too

Yeah, Avatar looked great in 3D, even if the story was a bad space-age rewrite of Pocahontas.

Clash of the Titans looked terriblein 3D, and ever since I haven't bothered with 3D movies anymore. When they are just $1 more than the 2D (or even same price, if you bring your own glasses from a previous show) and the 3D version was not a rushed conversion from the 2D, as CotT was, then I might go back to seeing the 3D version.

11. Richard Porter
    FAIL

3D films aren't 3D

They're binocular at best - you only see things from the camerman's viewpoint. If you move your head you don't get a different view. Wait for holographic movies!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

STAR WARS

OI LUCAS! STOP FUCKING WITH STAR WARS. PLEASE :D

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

puts hand up at George

here here!!

no more apart from a good blu-ray release in 2D and nothing else..

p.s. wheres this TV show??

13. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Boffin

The crazy thing is...

That every technique of stereoscopic film was known about - and frequently discarded - well before 1900. http://stereo.nailed-barnacle.co.uk/#10.0

There's nothing new except one thing: once you start making animations using CGI models, it's a piece of cake to add a second viewpoint.

Shame though that you need to rethink the whole grammar of film making to make 3-d work... meanwhile, I predict that the current fad will last just as long as the ones in 1870, 1890, 1930, 1950, 1970, and 1990. What goes around comes around.

14. Tristan Young

Kudo's, Roger!

While I don't usually agree on everything Roger Ebert says, I totally agree with his comments on Hollywood rushing towards the 3D craze, and it not adding much to the experience.

The 3D Avatar was shot with - that's crap. I don't want alternating images broadcast to alternate eyes. I want two images broadcast to two eyes simultaneously.

The glasses in the theatre are garbage. They are made of cheap plastic, and the polarizing windows are distorted and make the images fuzzy.

Screw-ups like 2D to 3D conversions doesn't help bolster the craze - it helps destroy it.

I'm not surprised that 3D is taking a bit of a downturn in the theatre.

Let's face it - cinemas are expensive. They don't represent the best value for our dollar. You can't pause the damn thing to take a leak. You can't pause it to grab a snack. You can't pause it to do the wild thing. The bathrooms reek of yesterdays vomit (no, wait - that was the seat beside mine in the cinema). The other patrons are loud and obnoxious (and are going to get an ass-kickin' if they keep blowing the good parts). Then there's the air conditioning from hell in the summer (wear a jacket - trust me, it help), and the furnace in the winter (wear a g-string - trust me - the seats can't get any more smelly if you tried).

All in all, cinema, and especially 3D cinema is doomed to fail.

Now home cinema is a different story. Why would anyone pay $24-$30 (CDN) to watch a movie, add overpriced coke (or Pepsi for those cinemas that are under the delusion that Pepsi is prefered by more people over coke) and overpriced popcorn, when you can buy a movie on DVD or Blu-Ray and watch it at home for the same price? And watch it again and again when you feel like it.

After seeing some of the gorgeous LED LCD TV's in the stores (thank you Samsung!), why would I want to watch a stinkin' movie outside of my own home?

15. Poor Coco
    Thumb Up

The extra ticket price is not all...

I recently saw Toy Story 3D with my son. I was actually impressed with the 3D precisely because it was inconspicuous aside from a few aforementioned "zap!" shots. But it was far more watchable than a 3D film attraction I saw at Disney World, where it was that over-the-top all the time.

So I disagree that 3D is a "novelty" approach. TS3D did it extremely well.

And the ticket price bump was nothing compared to the fact I lost my $350 prescription glasses in the theatre. That wouldn't happen at home!

16. Kelvari

I know from reading the comments that not everyone will agree with me on this, but Avatar was a good example of how 3D should be done. Journey to the Center of the Earth, though, was an example of how 3D should NOT be done. The main trick to keeping your viewers from getting sick, as so many reports have stated happens, is to maintain roughly the same field depth between shots. Don't go from a deep shot to a shallow shot to a wide-angle shot - you'll get people putting their popcorn back in the buckets like that. Instead, make easy transitions from deep field to shallow, or if that's not possible, there's always the old-fashioned 'fade-to-black' routine that has been in cinematography for ages.

17. miknik
    Grenade

dumb commentards

So many people moaning about paying more to watch in 3D... Tell me this: As a business owner if you had to invest a large amount of money into new equipment to offer a new service to your customers would you just absorb that cost or would you want to recoup it from the people benefitting from the service?

18. jamesrhamilton
    Thumb Up

I wouldn't have...

... seen Toy Story 3 in anything other than 3D. I thought it looked great as it was in native 3D.

It depends what your opinion is. And that's all it is. Whether or not enough people will have the same opinion as me as to make enough money for Hollywood, who knows.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In defense of 3d

3d is an extra 5 bucks (50% of full fare on a non-3d showing) here, but the best part is you get to pick where you sit, in assigned row numbers. I like it. I have no interest is seeing everything in 3d, but certain movies I'm really looking forward to I'd want to see in 3d if it's available. The thing is, it has to be well done. I thought Toy Story 3 looked great, but one of the trailers shown in 3d looked awful (and so did the movie...).

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fluff

If 3D isn't utilised in a way enhances or adds to the narrative, it'll be just like any other film making technique used inappropriately; visual fluff rather than golden goose. The big studios track record on decent ideas and scripts is pretty poor in the last couple of decades, and their apparent belief that 3d will magically turn a rather tired sows ear into a silk purse will probably be the thing that devalues it overall.

21. Big-nosed Pengie

Just goes to show that...

... as was so amply demonstrated by the Star Wars crap, that special effects are no substitute for a story, a script and good acting.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is all marketing hype (well most of it)

To me the cinema owners think they are onto something and have a new cash cow to fleece. VIP seats are one new revenue stream ( I do like them - mainly as the seat is reserved, there is no rush to get in as the "film" starts - read 20+ minutes of ads) and now 3D. My local Vue puts the price up each time I go... now £10 then a 70p online booking fee for that pleasure, if it is 3D another £3 for the glasses which you can't re-use? eh - We are being encourage (forced) to recycle everything but big business don't have to - amazing... as long as someone is making money!

Cinemas will end up driving people away with excessive prices.

As to 3D TV, another marketing gimic, first we had HD ready, everyone wanted one. Then as soon as sales dwindled Full HD arrived and people who had HD ready wanted that - for what reason as the only thing which utilises 1080p is Bluray - and even some of those films look no better than DVD. BBC-HD does look stunning, but I have yet to see a demo where 1080p looks any better than 720p - until you get to 60"+ screens with higher numbers of pixels to light. Now Full HD has become "standard" 3D is the sales buzz word. I love my tech don't get me wrong, but I will be sticking with my now near 5yr old Pioneer plasma - no Full HD or 3D but there isn't much which will touch it for picture quality which is more important to me than gimics or technology which isn't ever going to be fully used.

There are far too many people in this country who are easily swayed by marketing hype, wake up people!

<rant mode off>

23. MartinBZM
    FAIL

3D - 3 schmee

Heh,

When you've just spent about 3K on eye-laser-surgery to get rid of the glasses (spectacles) only to have to put it on again to watch a movie.

Must be specially frustrating for them that want a clear view and spent half the time polishing the glasses to remove the stains of fingerprints, soda and what-not.

Nah, I'll just look at the 2D and wait for the *REAL 3D"(tm) to work without kludges like glasses.

Cheers!

24. jonners

fad

It was inevitable. 3d just doesn't add anything useful. It adds depth that doesn't need to exist and costs more to make and view. I noticed that I also picked up fewer details because of the "ooh pretty" effect.

Given the choice between 2d and spending £2 extra for 3d I would pick 2d every time now.

25. Bill B

Costs to the punter of 3D

There have been a few comments about costs. Just to be specific, Cineworld Birmingham Broad Street charges the following for an adult going in the evening

Adult charge (same for 2D film) - £6.50

3D Surcharge (apparently to cover Real3D's license costs) - £2.10

Optional glasses (if you got some, don't have to buy new ones) - 80p

So it could cost £9.40 to see a 3D film, £8.60 if you have the glasses, compared with £6.50 to see a 2D film

26. Arweet

Novelty?

3D cinema has been around for 50 years. Every decade or so there is a 3D hype, and of course the so called novelty wears off quickly.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

3 Double D?

No no, they're doing it all wrong. What they want is more boobs in 3D. That will sell like hot sluts. I mean cakes. Mmmmm cakes!

28. Richard Gadsden 1
    Boffin

Aren't films 3D already?

Surely films are already in three dimensions. After all, that's the difference between a film and a still photo.

Stereoscopic films aren't really 4D at all - there's no parallax, which is why they feel artificial. At least a 2D (still) image is meant to be artificial. I wonder if we will get used to stereoscopic images, though; we managed to get used to perspective on stills.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.