back to article Regent Street blocked by iPad fanboi swarm

Fair play to Apple - they might be turtleneck-wearing control-freaks but they run a lovely queue. Several hundred fanbois and at least one fangirl were queuing up this morning to get their hands on an iPad. The line stretched from the Apple shopfront on Regent Street all the way round the corner onto Hanover Street. And …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Pint

Not being totally insane ...

I pre-ordered an iPad. Not being unfamiliar with the Apple hype machine, I made sure to put my order in within a couple of hours of the online ordering system opening for business.

It arrived yesterday without any queueing, screaming, or drama.

Who *are* these people?!?

Boffin

on defence of the Apple queuers

I have just remembered that last Saturday I had the misfortune to pass by the Abercrombie & Whatever cloth empire state building just off Savile Row and the show was pretty much the same with the difference that it happens each Saturday (so I am told). You must queue an hour to pay for an overpriced T-shirt while gym-pumped androgyns dance around you in the dark and perfume is sprayed around.

The need to part of a pack is a well established survival mechanism for the human species and this is the 21 century version.

Paris Hilton

Eew

Ugly bunch, aren't they?!

Paris - because even she wouldn't shag one.

Speaking as a fanboi

Well maybe not a fanboi. A fanman. (Aged 59, 1st Mac an SE/30)

A daze of fanbois

A bemusement

A desparation

A clutch

A gollum

A beta

A test

Anyway: I'm going to wait for the next model, like I'm so very glad my wife waited for the revised Mini last year.

pathetic

could that queue be the most pathetic display of morons on the planet?

Joke

Title

> could that queue be the most pathetic display of morons on the planet?

Only if they also went to a Windows 7 Launch Party

"Fans anticipate the joy of iPad ownership"

Photo two - are you sure this isn't a picture of a Mafia hit team that's got mised in somehow?

MnM

Lego-loving freaks

That second photo is a tipping point waiting to happen and a PR disaster if it gets on the news tonight - those are real fanbois in the flesh, not PR ringers. I'd like to see Flat-Cap Jack (foreground, right of centre) whirling around in silhouette. Cool!

I'm sorry, but looking at that pic, I'm thinking the iPad's killer feature must be its wipe-clean screen.

Grenade

PR sucks....

Those paid to be there by the PR companies, the sad and stupid. Welcome to the iPaid .......

group name

"The smug" is the distortion field generated by Apple products and also by groups of Apple users. It's a bit like "the force" in Star Wars only it doesn't have any purpose, or, for that matter, any consciousness.

The group name for fanpersons, imo, should be "a gloat".

Coat

title?

Surely that should be fanbois and fangoil...

Silver badge

"Fangoil"

Only at Apple Stores in New York or New Jersey.

Pic 2, third from left

I hope the fruity minions didn't give him that drink. I don't think he's enjoying it very much.

Coat

I know what terms to use!

I think more appropriate is:

A gloat of iPad users

A drone of Android users

An obfuscation of Windows users

A guanification of Linux users

Boffin

I second this suggestion!

...and propose it be added to the official reg lexicon of collective nouns!

WTF?

Don't know what worse

just being spiteful, or being so dumb that people don't even recognise their own fear and jealousy...

For a device and owners so 'hated' on these pages, there does seem to be a lot of interest....

Jobs Horns

Oh there's plenty interest...

...it's just that it's all tied up in mocking the weak.

Troll

@DrunkenMessiah

Yes, I call it the ego and self importance inflator.

WTF?

How much?

Starting at £429 for 16GB non 3G variant rising to £699 for 64GB 3G version. 'kin 'ell!

FAIL

Collective term

A tard of fanbois, surely?

Meanwhile, on a continent somewhere down under, Apple screwed over their own dealers. Instead of their stock of iPads arriving, they received a message at 8am on the launch day telling them that iPads will only be available from the official Apple store.

To make matters worse, the Apple security guards pushed press snappers out of the way to let the official Apple TV crew get the prime position.

My guess is that Apple wanted some manufactured frenzy to hype the perceived demand. Shabby.

My suggested collective noun.

A Kool-Aid of fanbois.

Coffee/keyboard

I remember...

queuing up to buy a 48k Spectrum in 1982/3. They sold out pretty quick the first/second time round. About the same size as an iPad with "touch sensitive" typing too...

Thumb Up

Yes..

But at least the speccy could do something.

Touch sensitive?

No it bloody wasn't, if you are talking about the rubber keyed model. AFAIR you had to hit the key *just right* to get it to work

FAIL

flat keypad

the first one had a totally flat keypad. Obviously you didn't watch the BBC's docudrama about Sinclair & Acorn.

If you were the real early spectrum adopter...

...you'd have joined the three month mail order queue, not waiting for it to get to the shops, and had the one with the grey keys.

@John 62

No it didn't, the first Spectrum had a rubber keypad with "proper" buttons, not touch sensitive by any description.

It's much more basic forerunner the ZX81 (and ZX80 before that) had "flat" keyboards using membranes for keys. Not really touch sensitive either by any definition we'd recognise now - they were physical buttons that you pressed, just not very hard.

Gold badge

Hmmm

I think if you showed someone an iPad back in 1982/3 and asked which they preferred, a speccy or an iPad I think the iPad would win. Many households had one TV and you wouldn't be able to use the speccy all the time. Others had a portable, often black and white.

So if you showed someone back then a device with email, the web, 3D games, movies and music you can download (back in 1982/1983 it was all tape and vinyl, CD took much longer to become affordable) I think they would be astounded.

While you could program a spectrum, most people played games on them.

Any device is about the software, a Windows PC can't do much without installing some software. Same with the iPad. The pre-installed software does the basics, email, web, photo management etc..

Joke

if i worked for microsoft

if I worked at microsoft - each apple queue event i'd be handing out water and food with big corporate logs's on and sun hats and the like - cheap free marketing at the comeptions expense. Have to love a free world.

How long into competition queue spam marketing becomes a coined phrase - think about it - static audience with time on there hands and would probably even have a friendly talk with the johovia witness's :). Cheap PR as well to be gained on the back of what is in essence free advertising or news about queue's. Though I suspect somebody in the World has the job title "corporate event queue supervisor".

Gates Halo

They did that...

at the PS3 launch. Microsoft deck chairs were made available for the queuing fans. They also had a powerboat blatting up and down the Thames with the slogan, "Microsoft welcomes Sony to the next generation. By the way, you're late." on the side.

Happy

@AC

If you worked at Microsoft you'd be running W7 launch parties and morris dancer love-ins in various city squares. Given the lack of derision cast at those activities, I'm left to believe people here attended one or more of those, or wanted to attend one but grandma's feet needed scraping that day.

Gates Horns

nice

way to alienate potential customers in the queue who deemed to buy a box for blu-ray/games, not a tribal allegiance :)

Butterflies

"if I worked at microsoft - each apple queue event i'd be handing out water and food with big corporate logs's on"

Nah. I'd just spray-paint butterflies on the pavement.

Oops - it's been done.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/25/nyregion/25DECA.html

Silver badge

re: "They did that..."

Did they really? Ok, I really don't like Microsoft (or Sony for that matter) but that's just plain hilarious. Good one for Team Microsoft!

Coat

i

What a clapped out bunch they look.

I'll get my coat.

Jobs Halo

Want more

No Flash, bad WiFi, Battery problems, no camera, costly battery replacement, no proper USB, No changeable memory card, locked into the Jobsian money machine.

These have to be the folks that regularly get scammed by the lads from Lagos (419)

For when he has them by the balls and their hearts and minds (v.small) do surely follow.

Queue right down now...

Passed through Oxford Circus an hour ago to check out the iPad - the queue's down to maybe two dozen people.

Oh, and it looks and handles pretty well, too...

Grenade

iControl

Apple really should be more careful over who is allowed to buy their products. The thought of some old anorak been allowed to even touch an iPad is enough to put me off. I really hope the powers that be allow Apple to take over ARM so no other manufacturer gets their dirty mitts on what belongs to Stevie Gob by his own decree.....

Do I qualify for one now, oh lord? I promise I will shave more often and help to stifle innovation.

What a pile of shite!!

IT Angle

Where's the IT angle?

Seriously, where is it? I just see another article about the iPad.

It should be noted that Chris Moyles was bleating on about his new iPad on the radio this morning, therefore any chances it had of being regarded as "cool" have now evaporated.

Jobs Halo

Wandered into PC World this morning

And they had sold only one by 9:30 so I became the second... No rush no queues. Poss no need

For one at work..but at home it's great. Lack of flash hasn't been noticed.

Sent from my iPad

N2

Thats brave...

Admitting you actually go to PC Wurld & buying somthing in this forum

sent from my Mac Pro

Pirate

Collective confusion

Surely a "job lot" of fanbois?

Typed on a 2001 iBook, which is actually speeding up as it gets older, in much the same way that my shirts keep shrinking in the wardrobe.

Alert

ZX80 / ZX81

In regards to the comments posted earlier,

In fact the ZX80 and ZX81 keys you had to push quite hard, and your fingers got very tired. Sometimes you would press a key too hard and then your 16K RAM Pack would wobble and crash the damn thing (in the case of the ZX81).

Still bluetac was always available and playing 3D monster maze was worth it, it was NOT however worth queueing around the block, in fact I think ZX81's were mail order only (at least initially).

Here endeth the correction.

ZX81 and ZX80 and Spectrum

NB the ZX80, ZX81 and ZX Spectrum all had membrane keyboards.

ZX81 had a flexible plastic surface with buttons underneath.

ZX80 was slightly different (used metal rather than plastic, if my memory serves me correctly - could be wrong).

ZX Spectrum had rubber keys and much easier to type. If you had used an 80 or an 81 for a long time, typing on one of these keyboards was the height of luxury, at least you thought so until you visited your friends house who had a VIC-20 (and all they had exciting to play on it was "bomber").

Silver badge

Nice photo

There's truly some special looking customers in that queue, were the police officers mentioned taking photos?

Anonymous Coward

Swiss reports..

Zurich, Friday aftenoon: tame. They had a whole bunch of heavies around, but that turned out to be a nice, sunny day off for those guys. Didn't check the Data Quest store on the other side, though, because what I wanted was not in the official shop, and I knew they had it in Bern, where I needed to be the next day. So, I hit the shop, spent 5 minutes with a member of staff, most of which taken up by waiting for her to check stock - what I wanted wasn't in. No problem whatsoever - what got in the way weren't customers but the heavies :-).

Bern, Saturday: moderate (not a "proper" Apple shop, but their main distributor, Data Quest). You could still get in and out, and although there was a steady flow of Jobs tampons leaving the store it wasn't overly troublesome, like in Zurich they had all the buyers corralled in one corner of the shop.

I got my 15" Macbook Pro, which heralds a return to Apple for the first time since I built an Apple II (iPhone doesn't count :-).

Pint

I would have bought an iPad but...

I bought a real book for a tenner and spent the £350 I saved getting drunk with my friends.

Plug a keyboard into your iPad and Google it. :P

Jobs Halo

They look so miserable

I just noticed when looking at the pictures, they all look so miserable

They are not smiling, contemplating the second coming of our lord Biggus Jobbus, eagerly anticipating their forthcoming (rather overpriced) tablets

Well I suppose that I would be if I was buying into the Jobsian world of a product that I can't expand the memory, can't change the battery, can only by apps approved by the great Jobsy. Knowing that something better, with true multitasking, changeable battery, and less of a fire hazard is just around the corner.

People are trying to kill themselves to make sure that you have a total ownership experience when buying this product. Sweatshops O sweatshops work hard to build this dream machine :)

Boffin

Quell the swarm

The UK Government is passing emergency legislation to allow the immediate and indiscriminate use of water cannons, smoke bombs and tasers when the next iPhone is released.

We must keep Regent Street open for decent, ordinary consumer folk, and any Android users who've found their way outside.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017