back to article 'Racist' job ad sparks investigation

An advert for an IT professional "preferably of Indian origin" is being investigated after complaints were made to the Equalities and Human Rights Commission. The ad, placed on jobsite.co.uk, said: "Minimum six years of experience in IT ... The person should be a UK citizen with security clearance from the UK Government. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Zap
    Thumb Down

No surprised

I am not surprised, so many friends I know have lost their jobs to outsourced Indians, but I am not bitter because they too are being exploited. I met an Indian chap on a course recently, very bright chap. He told me that he has been working here for BT for 3 years, He was grateful for the opportunity until he found out how much his services are being billed for (250k).

He had no unique skill, he was just cheaper and it seems that enough to get a Visa and work permit these days.

Of course companies need people who are Indian because so many outsourced projects are screwed up when outsourced offshore, let's face it, it is hard enough getting a spec agreed between clients and developers speaking the same language!

Obviously they should have said someone who speaks both languages fluently.

They will still screw up the project.

The fact is people will employ who they want and have their own prejudices.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

It's not racist

As Indian isn't a race.

And no, racism does not have international laws covering ethnicity. You are thinking of the UN's laws regarding "Racial Discrimination" which does in fact cover ethnicity.

3. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Yes, what is "The Indian Language"

Admittedly, the SQL programmer bld!og by "Pinal Dave" is sort of in English but you have to concentrate... it's distinctive.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

I blame HR departments

Well I can only guess they meant to say, able to speak Indian dialects. There legalised. Now question is:

If somebody put an advert in India saying Preferably British - would the outrage and eventual punishment be onpar. Just a thought.

Indeed will the punishment be onpar for a British advert advertising for British prefered. That will be interesting.

Either way not as good as the job I saw for a "data imputer" once. Still at least you can descriminate against people who can spell still, who can code in a certain language.

Descrimination is all around, take jobseekers for example - a man gets the same allowance to eat as a women - nomatter what size the person and despite the fact that it is a fact that a man required 1/5th more calories to operate a normal day than a women. Now is that legal, or has the PC/descimination world gone descriminatory on what it deems descrimination.

Either way - very funny, pls come again.

-not anon as I speak the truth

5. Inachu
    FAIL

Well.... IF they do in the end hire that person.

Well.... IF they do in the end hire that person and they are from Indian descent

then a class action can be made against the company and punative damages can be sought as I know for a fact companies like that will continue hiring in the same fashion and will need to be slapped in the face a few times to wake them up.

Can't wait to see how this plays out!

Kinda like that Programmers Guild video of the lawer on how NOT to hire Americans.

Seems this company has erred in morals in the same way.

Very shameful indeed!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.