back to article Blighty surrenders to Street View

Blighty today surrendered to Sreet View's all-seeing eye as Google extended the service's coverage to encompass 95 per cent of the UK. The news will come as no surprise to El Reg's eagle-eyed readership, who kept a close eye on the search monolith's Orwellian black Opels as they prowled Great Britain. Here's our Web 0.2 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MOD sites

I thought I'd see if googles all-seeing eyes had turned a Nelson eye at other sites.

There's a obvious gap in coverage near Lulworth camp - was hoping to look at the gate guardians - but from my memory those two old tanks were backed up by guys carrying weapons.

2. Fred Flintstone Gold badge
    Thumb Up

The Dutch are at it too :-)

The Dutch police in Venray was obviously not that familiar with the Google vehicles so they stopped them. If you look carefully you can see the "stop" sign in the top lights bar of the vehicle: http://bit.ly/bGaz55.

Either the law of probabilities appears to have struck with a vengeance in the Netherlands or they have had time to plan for mischief, there is a veritable avalanche of creative shots available, and one newspaper is presently running a competition to get the best ones. In other words, more to come.

Good - I approve of anyone taking the piss, and that includes black humour..

1. Steve Roper
      Thumb Up

Love that Venray Google-car police chase

Seems the Google driver led the cops a merry run down the entire length of the Stationsweg road from the roundabout to the intersection at the end, before turning left at the intersection and finally pulling over... wonder if he got fined for failing to obey the directions of a police officer?

3. Olafthemighty
    Pint

I'd just like to thank

Those of you who used tinyurl in your comments here. My corporate interweb won't let me select / copy text on these comment pages and it takes sodding ages to type a streetview url into the address bar!

<-- Have one each, go on!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Solution!

View source, and remove "amp;" occurrences (leaving &).

I too was irritated by this... :)

1. Olafthemighty
        Thumb Up

Ta very much!

That is all.

4. Witty username
    WTF?

Date

Images from my area are from last summer, im still trying to work out why my car's at home on a wedensday during the day, when im ment to be at work =P

5. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Thumb Up

Can they come back again?

I found my parent's house, I must have been visiting when Big G went past as my car was parked outside. The odd thing was that when you look from one angle the car is there, when you "turn around" in the view, my car is missing. I can only assume they didn't simply upload the pictures as is, they must do something when they blend them.

Could they come back to my house again please as I was out and would like appear in person, just get my 15 mins as it were?

I quite like StreetView, it's been very useful for planning my photography trips as I can find really useful places to park in town streets!

6. Liam Thom
    Badgers

Controversy

I am going to be really controversial and say what a bloody good effort this mappery is. To crunch all these pictures down and stitch them together is really impressive. I bet you could fry an egg on the data centre roof though.

Full marks to Google.

But come on guys. Where's the links to the people coming out of dildo shops in raincoats or relieving themselves in shop doorways? Try harder.

1. Richie G
      Go

@Liam Thom

I agree.

I think that Google Streetview is a good thing. In a few years time (10, 15, 20, 100) this will be historical data, much like (as has been reported) the Domesday book or even the Domesday 1986 (or whatever year it was - I think it was '86) Project.

Having said that, when I first saw my house on there I was 's**t, that's my house and everybody can see it' but then I realised that it is no different to me looking at other people's houses. Where I live, chances are that it's only people who live there / are going to visit / move to the street that will see it. So yeah, I was a little but offput at first so can see where people who are are coming from.

Incidentally, I can only almost pinpoint the date that the G Wagon came arolling past; it wasn't a bin day (although because of how our house is our bins are kept out front anyway) but I had obviously taken the car to lug some PA gear around from work etc as my mum's wheelchair (which is normally kept in the boot of the car) is in the garden, and we had also left something outside our front door to be picked up from Freecycle. Unfortunately, mum doesn't keep sent emails so I can't pinpoint it any further than 'the beginning of May 2009'...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Go

If you've got...

If you've got something to fear, you've got nothing to hide... no wait.. if you've got nothing to fear, you've got something to hide.. err.. okay I think I've got it.. we've all got something to hide and something to fear, so being seen 24/7 by Street View, traffic light cameras and police video surveillance is a good thing that will save our identities from the Russian Mafia. Plus we'll catch more terrorists and Google making money is good for everyone.

See, when you see the logic and the justification for the intrusion, it all makes sense. I don't understand why every other country isn't like our glorious democracy.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like