back to article Don't call me Ishmael

'No, you don't understand,' the White Knight said, looking a little vexed. 'That's what the name is called. The name really is "The Aged Aged Man."' 'Oh, do get on with it, you pedantic old weirdo,' snapped Alice crisply. Through the Looking Glass, Lewis Carroll (1871), revised Verity Stob (2009) It started when we were all in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

I blame Dr Who

My SSID is Bad Wolf, And everything connected to the router is Bad_Wolf_1, Bad_Wolf_2, etc.

Another one I set up uses Harlequin, Pierrot, (would have been Pantaloon, but I chickened out), and Columbine.

Thumb Up

@Traditional hackers' diet

I used to admin a network that used the names of different kinds of chillis for all the machines. You wouldn't believe how many there are... we kept on thinking we'd surely run out and have to adopt a new scheme, but by the time we got up to around a hundred machines on our LAN we still had a list as long as your arm of unused chilli varieties.

(The network no longer exists, so :-P~~~ to anyone here doing reconaissance!)

When I Get There "V" for Verity

I hope I don't prove a point to my detriment, but I write this from my MacBook Pro 15 called "Parsifal." I've been progressing through the alphabet.

Um, when I hit "e" I did use Elrond. Sorry. I was younger. It ran FreeBSD 5.x, does that mitigate the twerpiness a little?

At one job, when I brought some Linux file servers on line to relieve the burden on an ancient small business server, I named them after co-workers' children.

Recently, I've been naming servers after bad former US Presidents. So I have a Polk and a Fillmore. Another name for the series freed up earlier this year and awaits assignment.

Teletubbies..

...no, not me (no way!) - the CompSci department of my University. They had a bunch of new kit around the same time as the Teletubbies were cult student viewing (again, not me, no way!), and the four login servers became Tinky Winky, Dipsy, LaaLaa and Po. We also had servers called Pinky, Perky and Flipper, - no ideas what they were for, but their names were proudly sellotaped to the side of the boxes for all the world to see through the server room windows.

I'm fairly boring when it comes to my computers. My ancient homebuild desktop is Thunderchild (I'd just read War of the Worlds, and the case is a rather nice gunmetal grey), and my laptop is Bunny, not for any rabbit related reasons, but because it was the nickname of a nice IT chap who helped me spec the laptop, who sadly passed away the same day it was delivered. I know, I'm just a sentimental old thing...

Happy

Scottish Geography

@MuscleGuy

At home, I use Hebridean Islands for machines, with laptops being by convention named after smaller islands and desktops after larger ones, while network kit is named after ferry ports.

So my desktop is Harris; the wife's netbook is Oronsay and the next WAP we buy will probably have an SSID of Lochaline.

ed.ac.uk had a similar naming policy iirc - the main mail server was mull.

Happy

Here be monsters!

My home network is a bunch of M$ PCs and laptops named after mythical beings. I started off Arthurian but branched out into Norse and Celtic legends...

So I have Uther, Morgana and Merlin the PCs, Excalibut the laptop, Grendel the server and Tintagel as my domain. Router is named Lugh :-)

Happy

Here be monsters!

My home network is a bunch of M$ PCs and laptops named after mythical beings. I started off Arthurian but branched out into Norse and Celtic legends...

So I have Uther, Morgana and Merlin the PCs, Excalibur the laptop, Grendel the server and Tintagel as my domain. Router is named Lugh :-)

A load of..

Each and every client machine here at home is called "shit", albeit in different languages. Servers Mothership, Uddership and Redcow.

Alert

LOTR Names

Geeze ... that "No JRR Tolkien" rule would slam most of my older campus server farm.

They did show good taste for those names, though. SAURON was where all the sysadmins logged on, MORDOR was the dark land where the NFS server lived; most of the students used the BOLSON or GANDALF workstations. ("bolson" is a lame translation of "baggins" to spanish.)

Not every server followed LOTR though; I distinctly remember seeing "falkor", "luke", "bobafett" and "chewbacca" so it seems that some of the IT staff were into Star Wars and The Neverending Story as well.

Oh well.. it also seems I've violated one of these rules, as my PS3 is called hal9000. Eep...

Anonymous Coward

My naming scheme...

...is based on islands. So, on our LAN I have Baffin, Madagascar, New Zealand, Canary, Taiwan... laptops ended up getting named after sea-going vessel types - Supertanker is my newest; Oceanliner was recently retired to live as my wife's machine, and Dinghy is the Toshiba Libretto from 1997.

I recently did a project involving xBox 360s, and had three devkits set up for a triple-screen rig, running a major, 360-exclusive title. I considered naming the devkits Nintendo, Sony, and Sega, but decided not to...

Coat

His name was...

Tolkien, please, Tolkien, not Tolkein :)

Jobs Horns

Horsemen

As I normally have a maximum of 4 machines on my lan, I named them after the 4 horsemen.

Server is war, desktop is pestilence, laptop is famine (it's slim :P), pvr is death.

Hacker fodder?

I remember once being told that the problem with using linked computer names is that it made a hacker's job much easier. Find a machine called gandalf, and its not hard to guess there's a frodo on the net. Not sure how relevant it is in this day and age. And are there any hackers out there with machines called Jim or Humphrey? Please?

Macs

Many moons ago, a mate of mine had a Mac II, which he called Malcolm. I had an SE, which I called Desmond. Beige names for beige boxes.

When we started putting a small network together a few years ago, my boss thought it would be a larff to call it Frodo, as I was a bit of a LOTR nut. Another server was added not long after called Gandalf. It was a bit silly. Now we have a proper IT bloke that has named all our Blades after planets, Mars, Jupiter, Venus, Neptune, etc.

My car, a Clio, is called Chloe.

No one picked booze?

My home network uses boozes, whisky, rum, vodka and calvados, thought I'll have to switch to a scheme with a lower ABV soon. I operate some boxes for chemistry students, and I'm naming them after alcohols, butanol, fenol, methanol, and for the one running the music at the bar, ethanol.

Anonymous Coward

More Games

At work we used a few Blizzard games for servers. We had Mulgore, Tirisfal, Durotar, Eversong, etc. Before that we had Corsair, Wraith, Goliath, etc. Even before that, we had the planets, and I can vouch for the inherent problem with that naming scheme. "Logging into Uranus," "Uranus has a virus," etc. were commonly heard.

At home, I don't have very many machines, so they get a set of fictional city names. Truce, Choras, Medina, Porre, and Sandorino. Tip o' the hat to whoever gets those first.

Stop

Well I name my network servers after...

Question for moderator: 116 comments so far. Bored yet?

:)

phonetic alphabet

@Bill 19: "...you say bollocks to it and just run through the phonetic alphabet. I'm using Bravo."

You could always say you are naming them for characters in Dollhouse. Echo, Sierra, Victor et al.

@Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik: your myth box

it distributes info, yes?

Ratatosk, FTW

Anonymous Coward

How about Mafia naming convention for computers?

Under such a scheme, a top end Power Mac might be called Little Paulie while a Macbook Air might be called FAT Albert.

What about multiple server systems or server farms? I worked on one project where all the servers really needed meaningful names for when I had to lower myself to walking down to the manufacturing floor, but some outdoors obsessed pillock went and named them after his favourite fucking mountains.

Paris Hilton

Don't

All TV detectives here, Morse, Reagan, Lewis, Barnaby and Marple for the wifey's Vaio.

Don't do what I did though. Bought a "new" workstation for me off fleaBay and couldn't decide what to call it whilst in the exciting rush to build it so I called it temp. Baaad name. Worse nightmare to change it though. :(

Paris would be a good name though.

Anonymous Coward

more Gods

The LAN in the math department where I went to grad school named their machines after figures from Greek mythology (Athena, Sophos, Laeticia). They were always female because in those days computers were mysterious and temperamental (and the sysadmin was a woman).

I named the machines on my home network after mathematicians (Gauss, Euler, Cauchy, Euclid). The older the machine, the older the mathematician. When a machine got replaced, I added a number, so one of my boxes is now Cauchy3.

The agency where I currently work uses 2 letters to denote the sub-agency, 1 letter to indicate Server (S) or Workstation (W), followed by a seven digit number. I believe their firwall machines did actually used to be called firewall1 firewall2, etc. until someone finally convinced them that was pretty much the same as calling them "Controlled Access! T3$t ur L33t Haxor skillz h3r3!"

However, the Application servers (Sun boxes) are named after tropical vaction spots - Florida, Aruba, Antigua, etc.

Silver badge

@ Admiral Grace Hopper

Codicil: for some reason Blakes 7 is permissible, as also is the Lensmen series.

So I don't have to feel alone in my geekyness for having Mentor, Worsel, Kinnison, Tregonsee, Nadreck, and Emphilistor online?

Oh, thank heavens.

(Pre-Lensman our faithful assistants were Alfred, Kato, and Tonto.)

Nomenclature!

I just called mine Revenant. Outdated as soon as it was put together.

Silver badge

Seven sins

gluttony

lust

greed

wrath

vanity

pride

sloth (the Windows server)

Beer, of course

I use these criteria:

1. They are the names of breweries which make really good beer.

2. They're single words.

3. The breweries each have their own websites, which I can put in /etc/motd.

Silver badge

Surely the best one of all ...

.... was the computer that was named after its own fictional self.

http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/K/kremvax.html

I refuse to tell anyone my naming scheme

If they can't figure it out for themselves then they don't deserve to be allowed a suggestion.

So far the servers I 'own' are Diana, Donovan, Martin, Willie, Ham, Robin, Ruby and Caleb :)

Fun

I've seen things networks names after cheeses and beers, which sounded alright to me.

Personally I try to pick one name from a given source and then never re-use that source again, except when retiring the original one.

So I've got Wyrd, Praxis, Mal (Originally meant to be redundantly backed up by Jane, scrapped plans for that though,) RoadWarrior, and a couple named boring things. I used to be in charge of naming random computers at work, where I'd close my eyes and pick the first word that popped into my head. So we've got Shindig, Peril, Sprocket, Oxford, Fez, and probably some others. Oddly enough Peril had a habit for injuring people with fans and sharp corners.

Happy

Once upon a time

I worked for a small company that had two development offices in the UK, one "darn sarf' and one "oop north". The head of R&D was a tedious little rodent of a man that no-one could abide, so two of the main development servers became "weasel" and "ferret" (one at each site). You could then openly use questions such as "Is weasel up?" (or similar) not only to ascertain the status of the relevant server but also - and more commonly - to find out whether you'd be likely to run into the waste-of-space bossman at your office that day.

OK, so it wasn't big and it wasn't clever, but we all liked the joke and it did turn out to be useful on occasions.

Re: The oddest names you ever found?

@MezzoToscano 22nd June 2009 12:52 GMT

"three servers named Hikaru, Umi, and Fuu (Google it yourself - I like some anime in small doses, so did the webmaster I guess)."

Don't need to: they're the main characters from "Magical Knights Rayearth". I'm surprised there wasn't a Mokona.

My machines are named as follows:

Izabelle - WinXP desktop.

May - WinXP fileserver.

Thallin - Linux Web server.

Charlotte - Linux mail server (yeah, I could merge the two together).

Ifurita - EEE PC running Ubuntu 7.04.

EEEGads - EEE PC running Ubuntu 8.04.

Duke - because the "Duke Box" is my "Juke Box". ;^)

Mai - Linux backup server. When I finish it.

Squish - WinXP SFF. 'nuff said.

Laptop - the Vista laptop. Doesn't deserve a better name.

WDTV - the... er... WDTV box. Being modded. Will replace Duke when I'm done playing with it..

BAP - Big Ass Printer. (not really, but big compared to the PCs)

Coat

Acme

The company I work at has LOTR names for servers - much to the disgust of my boss. They are still there, but he isn't!

My pair of servers at home are known as Laurel & Hardy. For test purposes, the domain is ACME, with Daffy, Bugs Taz etc as users. (Wil E. Coyote is admin!)

I have a desktop and a tablet PC for work - DangerMouse for the PC and Penfold for the tablet - giddit?

Flame

some lab somewhere in Ipswich 132.146.238.7

the domain was airport.xx.co.uk

servers were

awacs - nis+ master

airbus - nis+ slave and general file server

harrier - the jumpstart / jet server

galaxy - cannot remember why

lancaster - cannot remember why

lockheed - the security / pen test server

would like to know if they are still around ............ according to 'nslookup' they still are ........ hence the title

Happy

A secure name

A place I did vac jobs at in my students days had demo software (for use at exhibitions) that showed the name of the fileserver it was loading the programs from. So one of the development teams named their fileserver "snotgobbler", to make sure it wouldn't get borrowed for exhibitions.

Thumb Up

And the award goes to .........

BT Labs.

After 10 years I can still remember the names of the servers I worked on (and perhaps even more sadly their IP addresses.).

awacs.airport.bt.co.uk - 132.146.238.7

airbus.airport.bt.co.uk - 132.146.238.162

I very much hope that they are NOT still Sparc Station 20's and NOT running Solaris 2.6

Paris - because she is an airport and deserves to be on the list ...... (ok I know paris has two airports - infer what you will)

Jobs Halo

Hot Legs and Deep Thought

In the days before Tolkein was rediscovered I actually worked with a server named Gandalf. At the same time all we had was a dumb terminal service from an agency machine operating over a telex line at 300 bits/sec (now just think about that lads), my terminal devices were named (not by me), Deep Thought One and Deep Thought 2. Douglas Adams was still on radio, before books never mind TV and film.

The point is that I am now using very loosely Women Who Influenced My Life. At least half of you will think that is A Very Fine Thing. Anyway I have done it, so there!

Server: Alice: my mother (and why not?)

pc1: Betty, Oooh Betty: Frank Spencer's wife

pc2: Celia: a long time ago and the pc is gone

pc3: Delia (Smith)

pc4: Eleanor: niece.

pc5: Florence: my mother again (second name)

pc6: Gloria (Huniford)

pc7: Helen: a fine energetic girl.

pc8: Iolanthe: Gilbert & Sullivan. Sorry

pc8: Julia: Julia Roberts, you don't want me to explain, do you?

pc9: Kristen: my chiropracter: a slim blond Swedish girl who may walk over my back at any time.

pc10: Lydia: Holroyd producer of Drop the Dead Donkey and a very brave lady.

pc11: Mary: mother in law

pc12: Nora. Nora? Nora Batty of course.

pc13: Ophela: Hamlet

pc14: Pauline: another very brave lady

pc15: Queen. I just ran out of names. So why not.

pc16: Ruby: Ruby Wax Hurrah!

You might notice my wife is missing; I would not dare, so do not go there.

Talking of naming computers, another subject is desktop wallpaper. I have taken a shine to pre-Raphaelite images and use download from art galleries, it is surprising what is available.

Jobs Halo

Psychotically Yours

Hot choice is children's programs all the way from Listen with Mother to Hollyoaks;

Servers: Sooty and Sweep, PCs Weed and Slobadob, Ivor (the engine), Bob the builder.

Oh! just start your own list.

Jobs Halo

Psychotically Yours

I have a client who has named his servers as navy ships without the HMS: Arethusa, Leander, Implacable, Dreadnought, Resolution, Warrior, etc.

Happy

RE Scottish Geography

The department I used to work in also used scottish islands, trying to get an overseas student to tell you what machine they were using was fun.

Come to think of it some home students often got it wrong

This post has been deleted by its author

Alert

Help me out...

My old laptop is called brandon (in honour of brandon flowers) and I got my work hostname changed to stevieg (in honour of steven gerrard).

I really can't decide what to call my new laptop though - ideas??

a) It must be a man's name

b) He must be fit (in my eyes)

c i) Preferably a musician or footballer

c ii) Definitely not a rap-star/crappy dance dj or man u/chelsea/arsenal/everton/blackburn/newcastle player

It's a dell mini 10v if that helps (I don't really want to name it after people of diminutive stature, unless they satisfy conditions b and c(i) )

@ Ray0x6

Member of the keyboard & screen credit club. At least it was only fizzy water, which would have been good to clean the keys with had it not been for the nasal ejection.

BTW - use constellations and component stars meself.

Coffee/keyboard

Part 2

New Icons!

I refer the honourable person to my previous statement.

Pint

Am I drunk or something?

What the hell is this article about? My usual scan read of it produced no answer... who's on drugs, me or you?

Go

At least I try to be orignal, too.

My current lappy is named Little Sister--I had gotten BioShock around the time I got her, too.

My old one was, interestingly enough, named Zodiac--that was also the name of my very first PC, an Aries 365. He still runs (and, strangely enough, boots faster than XP, given it's a 3.1 machine.)

I've also named the cars I've driven as well--Dingo was a crappy old beige Jeep Cherokee, followed by Elftor the White, a nice little Nissan XL pickup, with crurrently Queen of Spades, a '03 Nissan Titan pickup.

Pint

Harry Potter

in danger of being lotr-esque

hagrid - sort of file server

i say sort of, because i accidentally emptied the contents of /etc, and now the big drive wont mount even with a live boot disk.

hermione and ginny

laptops, ginny is the younger (newer) one

harry and ron

ron is a vm on harry (ie ron the sidekick lol)

Coat

imac g3 used as firewall/fileserver

betamax

Happy

British Sci-Fi FTW

My three home workstations - Sec, Caan, Thay

The home server - Torchwood

My wife's machine - Tardis

My netbook - Liberator

My wife's netbook - PinkSquirrelKitty (ok, not British scifi)

My wife's iPod - Avon

My iPod - TheMightyWurlitzer (Goons!)

My phone - Orac

My smartpen - Slave

Actually - Goon show characters are probably a good source - Neddie, Seagoon, Minnie, Henry, Eccles, Moriarty, Grytpype, Mate, LittleJim, Bloodnok

Black Helicopters

from my past

Wintermute

Summermute

Bonnie

Clyde

Dillinger

Etc...

At home I have:

icebox (white ibook)

blackbetty (black generic desktop)

Quadvarium (network server)

Nothing else of note.

Pint

Used to love data centres

When working as a telco engineer for a large multinational, used to spend hours (waiting for our testing to complete) trying to get into the minds of the Sysy admins. Some of the racks of servers I have seen:

Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa, Grandpa

Sporty, Scary, Ginger

Spock, Kirk, Bones, Mcoy

Must be fun when you are setting these up?

Love the new icons BTW

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018