back to article Microsoft forbids changes to Windows 7 netbook wallpaper

Netbook users running Windows 7 Starter Edition better learn to enjoy Microsoft's default desktop background, because that's all they're getting. Windows 7 Starter Edition not only blocks end-users from swapping the original Windows-provided wallpaper, colors, and sound schemes - OEMs and partners aren't allowed into the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Matt 65
    Thumb Up

@ Kevin 6

Having used Microsoft stuff all my working life, I have justed started to play with Linux in the form of Ubuntu, I was amazed at how easy it was to set up and use. My USB wireless card was installed on startup, to get that to work on Windows I had to download a driver on a different machine and use a USB stick to copy it over. It really does "just work", I'm now in the process of dual booting my "main" machine.

PS : How will the BBC tell people that they have hacked their machines now?

2. Richard 102

RE: I see that

Wrenchy said

'If Apple made this decision with OSx, all you iSheep will be licking Steve Jobs' balls saying "Oh thank you Steve. Whatever you say Steve. Can I lick your sweaty balls some more Steve?".'

Not entirely. Apple has backed off from time to time. The latest is that there was enough kerfuffle about Firewire disappearing from Macbooks that they brought it back in the latest models.

3. Dana W
    Jobs Halo

@ Wrenchy

"'If Apple made this decision with OSx, "

But they don't. Thats the point.

4. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

@Sooty

@Sooty, spot on. The performance on the netbook is just fine, it's not a basic machine at all.

Both Microsoft (so they can quit worrying about efficiency) and laptop makers (so they can sell more expensive, higher-margin machines) want netbooks to be viewed as a basic machine. As you say, they equal the performance of good machines from just a few years ago, and are perfectly usable basically for about anything except 1) Higher-end games 2) Running Vista.

Especially when Vista was out, people dismissed these as either "basic" or as one reviewer put it "to underpowered for even the most basic tasks". They're not at all! You should see Moblin run on an Atom board, it's ridiculous how fast it is.. it booted to full desktop, *using a mechanical hard disk*, in under 12 seconds (it'll do it with SSD in about 8 seconds.) Ubuntu runs well on them too. If you want to spend the cash, WinXP or even Win7 should be fine on them too.

5. Michael 28
    Unhappy

No lolcats wallpaper?

It iz teh suxx!!

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Robert Armstrong
    Pint

Bring back MS Bob!

Actually, MS just made my Netbook buy decision much easier, looking forward to Android...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like