back to article Jezza Clarkson cops flak for 'truckers murder strumpets' gag

A quip from Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson suggesting that lorry drivers kill prostitutes has attracted 188 complaints to the BBC. Clarkson was "taking part in a lorry-driving task" on Sunday's pre-watershed show when he said: "Change gear, change gear, check mirror, murder a prostitute, change gear, change gear, murder. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

You've ruined it for me

I have been out of blighty on a business trip since Saturday. Really looking forward to my Top Gear fix when I get back and what happens? You go and ruin the whole experience for me. Now I won't get the chance to laugh at this joke in real time.

Thanks a bunch guys.

2. Liam

cool

if he gets canned the BBC can have their frikking licence fee and stick it up there arse. the only decent stuff the beeb does gets on dave after 6 months anyway so what am i playing for? to be the daily heil 'readers' bitch?

fuck em! just like the poor nazi slut woman - awww bless her and her nazi ways....

a woman rang up to complain from the national prostitutes institute.. wtf? isnt prostitution illegal in the UK? i mean they pay no tax like the rest of us do they? i cant imagine a spokesman from the national institute for tax evasion being so well treated would you?

these people need to get a life and fuck off. stop ruining everything with your stupid over sensitive attitude to everyone.

@ "Screw it, I'm off to complain about The IT Crowd, for propagating stereotypical views of the IT industry which, I for one, dont find in the least bit offensive, but someone somewhere might." - its just crap! lets get them sacked! /me jumps on the bandwagon <sigh>

3. Sal

Pah!

Clarkson is the Daily Mail personified for goodness sake, what are you lot defending him for? He's a dick. Granted, he's always been a dick, but that's no excuse for him continuing to be a dick.

People have a right to complain about something they bloody well pay for. All these "turn of if you don't like it' or 'fuck off and watch Sky' comments are obviously the utterances of long standing idiots who toss themselves off at the thought of a truck driver giving their mother just what she blatantly needs.

But hey, don't be offended by that comment, I'm always saying it.

4. Piers

Check mirror?

Not when changing lane they don't.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Re: Repeats

"So, do you reckon we going to get the episode repeated on Dave?"

Dave yes, BBC3 no. As you might've noticed, BBC3 pull contentious episodes from their repeat schedule, which means any old whinger can effectively ban Top Gear episodes at will. I was damn near foaming at the mouth when they pulled the Hammond crash episode from the last loop through the repeat run.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

how hard can it be?

at the beginning of the segment, Clarkson asked, How hard can it be? in regards to driving a HGV. He made quips about getting out of bed, sitting down, sitiing down all day, then going home... All jokes aside, by the end of the section, he said, "its bloody hard driving a truck" and gave the respect due to truck drivers.

in the process of demonstrating how hard it actually is, he made jokes about getting sodomised by the gear stick, (where's the complaints about that) as well as other nonsense... that without the humor would have made the segment into a boring public service film, but instead made it into a good informative segment about all the stresses of driving HGV's along with the dangers...

and for all the people that complain,,,, go fuck yourselves.... with the afore mentioned gear sticks...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Go

@<burns down thread>

Can I help you on that one ? Its one of the reasons I no longer even look at HYS.

I watched it and wasn't offended. Just how easy is it to complain at Ofcom? People obviously have too much time on their hands.

Wonder what else is going on in the UK/world that is being missed whilst people are ranting on about this?

8. Gareth Jones Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Complaints Filtering

There seems to be something of a problem of organized complaints where some organization, usually the Daily Mail, encourages large numbers of people to complain. In order to filter out this sort of crap the BBC and Ofcom should refuse to consider any complaint that comes in more than, say, 15 minutes after the item was broadcast.

And to anybody who thinks this is too restrictive I say, "If you're so incensed complain straight away. If it can't wait twenty minutes it's not really worth a complaint."

There was talk of 200 complaints. TG regularly gets 5m or more viewers, so we're supposed to listen to the views of 0.004% of those people? In what way does this reflect the wishes of licence fee payers? The licence fee payers should get to choose what is acceptable, and the tiny tiny percentage who disapprove should change to one of the BBC's other channels.

Perhaps they ought to replace one of their minority channels with BBC Safe, a channel featuring only programs with Penelope Keith and/or Richard Briers.

In all seriousness I am totally puzzled by those who feel inclined to complain when a program offends them. It is clearly some sort of paranoia (in the correct sense of the word) that makes them think their views are so important that the BBC should have to change its output to fit in with them.

9. Aetyr
    Joke

Tasteless joke alert!

"a charity which had helped some of the murdered prostitutes in Ipswich"

Might I tread on risky ground and ask someone to reconsider that wording?

I mean, surely they meant "the family of the murdered prostitutes"? I don't really think there's much you can do to help a murdered prostitute, unless you happen to have the page from Jesus' Book of Magic Tricks which explains how he managed to come back from the dead...

10. Steen Hive
    Alert

How about

Everyone here gets everyone they know to formally complain to the Press Complaints Commission about *every single* piece-of-shit article that appears in the fucking Daily Mail each and every day. Needs a few volunteers to whip up the templates, and everyone else can download them and pop them off to the PCC en masse.

That'll stop their farting in church, the bastards.

11. RogueElement
    Paris Hilton

A Subtle Difference

There is a small and curiously subtle difference between Mr Clarkson's jibe and the abuse metted out by Bland and Woss... I found the former humorous (albeit a tad riskee) and laughed; the latter was at no time or in any way entertaining. Am I to assume that the IT angle is the telephone that these people used in order to lodge their complaints?

Oh, and if there are any truck drivers out there reading this, I'm one of the few who deliberately flashes his headlights to say you've cleared me and are safe to pull in.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@Liam...

"a woman rang up to complain from the national prostitutes institute.. wtf? isnt prostitution illegal in the UK? i mean they pay no tax like the rest of us do they? i cant imagine a spokesman from the national institute for tax evasion being so well treated would you?"

You don't know what you're talking about. Prostitution is not illegal in the UK and is taxable just like any other income. "Making a living off the immoral earnings" of _others_ is illegal - so pimps and brothels are illegal, but prostitutes working independently aren't.

Paris because I reckon she has a better understanding of tax than you do.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Murdered Prostitutes

Brian Tobin, director of The Iceni Project, "a charity which had helped some of the murdered prostitutes in Ipswich", described the gag as "highly distasteful and insensitive"...

Just exactly what help does a murdered prostitute need?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like