back to article Hoon: Not building überdatabase would be terrorist licence to kill

Transport secretary Geoff Hoon said last night that if the government is not able to harvest details of all internet communications, society will have granted terrorists a licence to kill. Appearing on BBC One's Question Time*, the journeyman minister was asked by Liberal Democrat MP and fellow panellist Julia Goldsworthy how …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Peter Gold badge
    Joke

@ is there anyone besides me

Sorry, can't help you. There's a reason I can't feel my legs.

(thank you, Rowan Atkinson).

2. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Oops.

What a healthy attitude to commenting that is, Jake. I have a nice eclair here with your name on it.

3. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: http://www.writetothem.com

Can't stretch to that sort of enormocomment, Russell, but I guess I can post an email address for you if you like (and if you are prepared to have maybe a few extra asshats bother you).

4. Alan Fisher

Glad I left

I left the UK a few years ago and I'm glad I did but one of the reasons was this...

the government was doing things in my name which i did not like (years ago) and I could not simply stand up and be counted alone.

My one gripe is this; people will complain about these measure and ideas on this page and many more fora like it across the the interweb, they will mutter and make dark comments and so on and so forth. But in the end they will do.,...nada....natch....zilch....neinte...etc etc

another saying to be thrown out among the many others already here

"for evil to triumph it is only required that good men [and women] do nothing"

the time to complain and make comments is almost well and truly over but the time for action is not.....if you do not want this thing to exist, you have to stop it or it will exist. Then you won't be able to complain...then you won't be able to do anything

5. Anonymous Coward
    Go

I fully support Mr Hoon and our Government

...in their desire to go "quite a long way", and fervently hope that, having done so, they will not return for "quite a long time."

6. Chris Miller

According to my OED

Hune (naut. obs.): a knob at the mast-head (from the Old Norse)

7. kevin quinn
    Thumb Down

outraged

Isn't there an international element to this? Presumably, in monitoring 'our' comms, won't the UK govt be holding the communications data on those communicating with and doing business in the UK? What are their govts saying about this? Won't the UK gov be violating the right to privacy of foreign nationals as well? I would have thought that any sovereign state would be outraged that the UK is tracking it's citizens' communications. Or are they all at it? Is this just the start of something even bigger?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Help the spooks!

> Just to tell everyone to head over to http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/privacy-matters/ and sign the petition against this evil act.

And add your E-mail and IP address to the list of people they look up 1st :)

9. Mark

What Franklin REALLY said

"Those who give up a little freedom for temporary security will get a jolly good punch on the bottom from me!"

10. jake Silver badge
    Unhappy

Re: Oops.

>What a healthy attitude to commenting that is, Jake.

Ta. Maybe I've learned something after thirty years online ... But seriously, the cat DID post it ...

> I have a nice eclair here with your name on it.

How about a nice triple cream brie instead?

http://www.marinfrenchcheese.com/Store/Cheese/CheeseProducts.aspx?prod_id=104&CatgroupId=1&CatId=1

If you've never tried it, have one of your compadres in the SF office ship you some. If the British Cheese Police allow it, that is ...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.