back to article Secret of invisibility unravelled by US researchers

Scientists at the University of California in Berkeley have engineered a material that can bend visible light around objects. This development could soon result in technology that can render tanks, ships and troops invisible to the eye. Results of the US military-funded research are expected to appear in the scientific …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Goat Jam
    Coat

. . . and the Russians just used a pencil

Wouldn't it be easier to hide behind an LCD panel and stick a webcam up your arse?

2. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse Silver badge
    Stop

Not invisible...

You can quite clearly not see all the troops hiding behind the Oak tree there...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@Goat Jam

pervert,

actually I think your on to something as the viewers brain would switch off as a self defense mechanism to avoid seeing what is displayed on the LCD panel.

4. ryan
    Boffin

oversight?

Surely if you bent light around yourself like 'water flowing around a stone in a river' no light would be reaching your eyes and you'd be effectively blind?

5. Goat Jam
    Thumb Up

@ AC pervert

I was thinking of pointing the webcam behind you, but I think you may be on to something . . . . .

6. Misha Gale

Just upgraded camouflage

Sounds like the main military application for this (assuming even that it does provide 100% invisibility in the visible spectrum) is as an upgrade to standard camo - something that makes you hard to see, provided the enemy isn't actively searching for you. Besides looking, there are (as pointed out already) far too many ways of detecting an invisible soldier: body heat, noise, radar/sonar, covering the ground with sand and looking for footprints, chucking paint/flour everywhere, using dogs/smellbots to pick up scent etc etc etc.

Even so, it still beats green and black facepaint.

7. mike lee
    Unhappy

Tolets seats at work are already made of this.

As if the flush button.

Or at least that is the only explanation I can come up with. That or everyone I work with are dirty bastards.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

already been done...

...with the homeless and the secret government budget.

Yawn.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019