back to article Mozilla CEO blasts Apple for putting security of the internet at risk

Steve Jobs is using Apple Software Update to slip his Safari browser onto Windows machines. And Mozilla CEO John Lilly is peeved. Presumably, Lilly is peeved because Safari browsers on Windows machines would eat into the market share of Mozilla's very own Firefox browser. But Lilly says he's peeved for different reasons. He …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Ign R. Amis
    Jobs Horns

@Ivan Headache

You're correct. Safari 3 is a huge improvement over Safari 2.

A lot of the ignoramuses who post here, who complain about sites that don't look correct in Safari, are obviously ignorant of the fact that lazy web developers often don't test their sites in a wide range of browsers. I've encountered a lot of sites that plain don't work in either Safari OR Firefox because they were developed for IE6's broken rendering engine and/or proprietary Micro$oft JScript.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why bother with QuickTime ...

... when you can have VLC? Plays virtually anything, no fucking about with the internals of your OS (which can be WinDoze, Mac or just about any flavour of Unix and Linux) and best of all it's free. It never annoys you to update (it leaves this to you to worry about, like a grown-up person) and best if all its very skinable, so you can make it look like anything ya fancy.

The Safari thing happened to me the other night in Vista. I don't even USE Safari so why was it foisting itself upon me?

True, I like iTunes and I even use it but why does it assume I want Safari?

It's kind of sleazy and intrusive, and I say this as a user of both PC and Mac hardware so it isn't as if I have anything against Apple.

I just found it slightly off and jarring.

No icon 'cos I am neither an iFan or an iHater.

3. Morely Dotes
    Pirate

Apple, Microsoft... I'm the guy with the gun.

When I found I could no longer install Quicktime without iTunes, I stopped using Quicktime.

I located a site (no, I won't name it, do your own research) that lets me install all the Windows XP updates since SP2, up to August 2007 (when Microsoft forced them offline) from a CD, and the PC never needs to "phone home" for WGA.

Funny how I never have installations forced on me as fake "updates" on my Ubuntu laptop.

It's arrogance like that displayed by Microsoft and Apple that encourages young people to use pirated software; at least the pirates let you *choose* what you want to install.

4. Julian
    Flame

@firefox is no better

Firefox, like many other software products, can be instructed to check (or not)automatically for updates. Updates are only are offered to already installed features .

The update is optional and you can tranparently choose features to update. You don't need to update if that's how you feel. Not very wise to refuse security updates tho'.

Post under reply is just ignorant.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Yuk

Well I tried it. Not too impressed. Faster than any other browser? It's lagging like a seventies teletype as I write. I feel like I'm writing the Grandstand pools results.

And the boast about 1.7s against 1.9s to render a page (or whatever the Apple site says) - who ever times a page loading? It's invariably not a slow browser that makes the net appear slow.

And I'm a happy Windows (Vista!) user and I'm no MS apologist - but why must Apply force its UI on Windows users. I'd like my computer to look like it's the same, thanks. I guess Steve HATES apps that break the OSX UI. Amusingly I note its Safari site only features XP as the Windows desktop of choice.

BUT WORST OF ALL - THE FONTS. I assume it's using its own rendering engine, cuz it looks sh1t. And I meant to type "shit" there - maybe I did, I can't tell. A 1 looks just like an I. It's like my laptop is running at the wrong resolution. Jesus, the arrogance of Apple is what does me in. A corporate "can do" attitude I can accept. A corporate "f*ck you" attitude I can't. (That WAS an asterisk.)

You've got 10% of the desktop market. Live with it. While you make your own machines and sell them at a premium with an attitude to go with it, you'll never get beyond that. 90% of the people vote with their wallets before their brains.

You've gone Intel, you've released a Windows browser, why not just take the next step and release the OS to the "native Windows" x86 market fullstop? Don't even worry about legacy hardware - just support Vista-only kit. THEN I might respect your balls, Jobs. If you do that, you'll have achieved something, and might break out beyond decimating the opposition...

PS The scrollbar doesn't work in WinSafari, just noticed as I read what I wrote. No visual feedback, you UI snob.

6. jay019
    Stop

Its not just apps snuck in during online updates.

Try installing Nero 7 without getting some lightscribe junk forced onto you. I wouldn't mind... if I had a freaking lightscribe drive! There was no option to not install it and it took the deletion of over 40 registry keys and a reboot into safemode to eradicate it from the system.

So a big FUCK YOU to nero!!!

7. Stuart Duel
    Heart

Yawn

So we have a site that is full of know-it-all geeks who love Firefox and hate Apple because, well, it makes them feel better I guess.

But the thing I find most funny is that they are too stupid/ignorant to figure out how to deselect the things they don't want to update/install.

Yeah, I'm a Mac user. I love it. I moved over from Windows around the turn of the Century and have never looked back. I love Safari now, although it's been a bit hit and miss in the past but is constantly getting better. I love my iPod shuffle. I love iTunes.

If 'deviously' installing Safari on a gazillion Windows boxes out there means moms and pops won't have to suffer the slow and butt-ugly MS Internet Explorer (any version) then all the better. If it means they're exposed to a better way of doing things, then fabulous!

Personally I don't see anything devious - Software Update updates you as to the availability of new software. Seems pretty straight forward to me. And certainly much more straight forward than Windows Update.

Firefox is okay as an alternative, but personally I prefer Camino as a backup browser when a site has a spasm and decides it doesn't like Safari anymore/today/this particular minute.

So suck on that Windows geeks - I couldn't give a toss. And neither could a rapidly growing number of people all around who have also made the switch to Mac.

Really, what a bunch of cry-babies!

8. Grant Mitchell

@Mark & @MattMark

Ahh, I see, so clicking off a tickbox (on by default) is a hassle to say I don't want Safari, but unticking the tickbox (again, on by default), under preferences, in the advanced section, under the update tab, in the locker with Beware of the Leopard written on it isn't...

I see..... Can't you see the issue here.... pot kettle black... Putting software out there that assumes high bandwith with cheap data rates as default is somewhat broken thinking. The default should always be to prompt.

Sigh...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

spot on

mozilla are bang on - apple really need to stop dicking around trying to underhandedly steal competition through cheapskate dodgy crap like this.

piss off [cr]apple im not interested in your tat.

10. Adam Foxton
    Jobs Horns

Isn't this what MS were fined for?!

Apple are using a dominance in one field- digital music- to push an unrelated piece of software on its users. And using borderline underhand tactics to do it.

So shouldn't the monopolies people be looking into this? I'd have it down as an anti-competitive move anyday!

11. Sam

@Ivan Headache

Yeah, you're worth reading......

If you are who I think you are, you got fired (from your masters in america) for passing on emails and addresses while "working" for a top line shopping channel.

You know all about security, don't you?

Unless of course, you're not him.

Care to refute?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

lame

Pretty lame Steve... in the computer world there are few things that irritate me more than software which sneakily attempts to get it's claws into my system by attempting to steal associations, inserting very quietly mentioned or unmentioned and entirely unnecessary crap to run in the background and hog my memory (I'm looking at you jusched.exe) or, like in this case, installing whole extra apps which were neither needed nor wanted.

You make Tux cry.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like