back to article Pair programming? That's so 2017. Try out this deep-learning AI bot that autocompletes lines of source code for you

Talk about working smarter, not harder. A computer-science student has got the right idea, by building an intriguing code-completion tool that uses deep-learning software to finish lines of source. And while, yes, there are already a ton of source-code autocomplete tools available, this one, dubbed Deep TabNine, is said to be …

Page:

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: What could possibly go wrong?

"If you type the line of code yourself, you should be thinking about every character."

Somehow the fingers and thoughts don't always coincide.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: What could possibly go wrong?

I used to have a problem with typeos. Then I discovered Model M keybr0ads.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Deep TabNine?

And not a single Star Trek reference in either the story or the comments (until now). Standards are slipping around here, that's for sure.

I can imagine the inventor was giggling like a school girl when he came up with that name.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Quite Perfect for a Rapid Response Unit*and Pretty Soon, One of Boris's New Toys to Tool Policy with

Your laptop may not be powerful enough to run the neural network effectively, therefore, and you can apply to use DeepTab Nine via a beta-grade cloud service, which does all the predictions in a backend and beams the suggestions to your code editor over the internet.

What's not to like? .... Something So Sublimely Appealing and Almighty EMPowering ‽ . Where now to Utilise Much Deeper and Darker DeepTab Nine Beta AI Services is one of many Journeys Journaled and made freely available to All Wishing to See what Can Easily Be Laying Itself with New Ways Immediately Available Ahead. ...... with DeepTab Nine Beta AI Services to Server and Maintain and Upgrade with Virtual Components which be Stellar Accompaniments.

And StrangeDoctorLOVE Type Terrain it can certainly be too ....... and that has Secret Special Sources and Forces Successfully Primed and Employed in Future Greater IntelAIgent Games Use too and they can leave the Mad Fields of Mud and Battle Behind in the Hands, Hearts and Minds of A.N.Others and Step Right On Into the Perfumed Garden. ? Your Heaven from Home or Your Home from Heaven ?

Have you ever had any surreal encounters with spooks? That's surely one of their favourite roots/routes :-)

* Rapid Response Unit

1. Cliff Thorburn

Re: Quite Perfect and Pretty Soon, One of Boris's New Toys to Tool Policy with

Lets hope BOJ sorts this subliminal safari in reliable rectification for all involved, whilst undoubtedly scoring much needed feathers in the cap and much needed political kudos.

Would be certainly great game play at the end of the day would it not? :-)

3. katrinab Silver badge
    Flame

It looks like you are writing a computer program ...

would you like help with that?

Some things never change.

Autocompletion can be useful on occasion, for example if I type "for", it would be useful for it to prepopulate the correct syntax for a for loop in the language I am using, or if I type in a function name, it could show me the arguments for the function.

And of course, code libraries are a thing, and useful for standard things that lots of programs need to do.

Otherwise, how is it going to know what I want? Very probably the whole reason I'm writing it is because it hasn't been done before.

4. jake Silver badge

Now THERE'S a tautology a mother could love!

"a beta-grade cloud service"

5. Sleep deprived
    Unhappy

AI-assisted Copy+Paste

I often half-jokingly suggested programmers' editors shouldn't have a Copy+Paste feature as this is the biggest single source of programming errors. Now, let AI help you further.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Faster train wrecks

Most people shouldn't train this AI by themselves unless they want to spew 100x more crap than they currently are. That could open up an interesting market for pre-trained AIs that help improve your coding. It won't fix architecture at this point but it might help those who struggle with basic coding tasks. As with any market, scams will follow. Imagine selling pre-trained AI to introduce subtle vulnerabilities into applications.

1. Psmo
      Mushroom

Re: Faster train wrecks

Nah, train wrecks is so two years ago.

We're into plane wrecks now.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

As with any market, scams will follow. Imagine selling pre-trained AI to introduce subtle vulnerabilities into applications. .... Anonymous Coward

I sincerely trust, AC, you aint trying to smear and peddle that as a scam whenever a vital future facility and practical utility.

That would be akin to Toxic Misinformation for Errant Misdirectiion.

1. jake Silver badge

Well, why ever not amfM? The whole AI thing is a scam to begin with. Shirley you, of all entities, have noticed this reality?

2. Cliff Thorburn

Perhaps when B’OJ receives his briefing from the Intelligence Chiefs later today, he will resolve the present great game conundrums and state sponsored torture, and pass immediate resolution and rectification:-)

3. I.Geller Bronze badge

...shouldn't train this AI by themselves ...

Simply train it by dictionary, that's it!

1. I.Geller Bronze badge

...shouldn't train this AI by themselves ...

Computer, having the right patterns (extracted / obtained from the dictionary definitions) understands texts, can speak and becomes AI, stops to be just a calculator.

1. jake Silver badge

"Understands" ... You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

if (x == {tab}

[ if (x == y) ]

[ if (x == 3) ]

[ if (x == GOAT GOAT GOAT ]

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please NO!!!

Please don't give this tool to Boeing. I am really scared of the implications.

9. adnim
    Pint

my code is often a mess

I never get a full spec, it has to be done yesterday.

It's a maze of twisty little passages that all look the same, yet produce different and occasionally the right results.

It works and seldom fails even if it is an unstructured mess that is hard to maintain (for anyone other than me)

I welcome a machine coding for me, I was thinking of sub-letting my job any ways.

Beer because it helps me care less about the shite I produce

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well Duh?

Dev team develops AI to help people code. Dev team does a good job. Dev team finds itself laid off, as AI gets a good enough job done for mere electrons. Skynet goes live 1 week later.

Thanks guys.

11. damocles

Wrong solution

Surely, instead of trying to replace programmers with deep learning systems, we should be focusing on replacing lawyers and politicians...

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Wrong solution

Surely, instead of trying to replace programmers with deep learning systems, we should be focusing on replacing lawyers and politicians... .... damocles

Would it be surprising and/or understandable knowing that deep learning systems programmers are already well focussed on that particular and peculiar work in progress, damocles.

It is what is so effectively spooking current established and assumed/presumed default executive administrative operations/Remote SCADA Systems.

12. sum_of_squares
    Trollface

And i was like:

public static void main(String[] args) {

And then Deep TabNine was like:

} // :^)

13. Justthefacts Silver badge

Google code search

This guy needs to think about why Google Code Search died. After all, he’s basically automating it for the desktop. What did that fail to do for the developer? And how did it compare to using $FAVOURITE_FRAMEWORK?

We cannot see past the choices we do not understand.

14. James Loughner
    Linux

Does it???

Does it fall Mom's rule???

Mom's Rule -- Put thing back the way your found them when you are done.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Deep learning, huh?

So how many other people have built a markov irc bot...?

This idea seems fundamentally broken.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like