back to article YouTube supremo says vid-streaming-slash-piracy giant can't afford EU's copyright overhaul

YouTube, a company "completely sustained by pirated content" according to Google executives prior to its 2006 acquisition, is warning that a proposed revision of Europe's copyright directive could spell the end of online video sharing as we know it. YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki in a blog post on Monday denounced changes being …

Page:

1. vtcodger Silver badge

Re: Too hard

"Google is arguing it shouldn't have to obey the law because it is too difficult."

Naw. It's more like a community that decides to ticket/tow illegally parked delivery vehicles being warned by a delivery company that if they start doing so, no one will make deliveries in their community.

Presumably, the EU -- if it stands its ground -- will not get copyright holders paid(more). Instead it'll result in some Europeans using proxy servers/VPNs to view You-Tube and many more no longer viewing the videos. Legally I imagine that either the European clients or the non-European proxy/VPN or both will be breaking the law, but I can't envision it being enforced except maybe selectively.

Personally, I've never thought You-Tube videos of commercial performances were remotely legal. But neither do I think that -- in the very long run -- Copyright laws are workable in most contexts.

1. onefang

"Personally, I've never thought You-Tube videos of commercial performances were remotely legal."

Depends on who put it on Youtube. After Taylor Swift put on a concert in a sports stadium near me that was close enough to hear, but not close enough to hear clearly, I realised that as far as I know, I had not ever before heard any of her music. I figured I'd give her the benefit of the doubt. So I went to Youtube, and watched a playlist of Taylor Swift videos that had been uploaded on her own channel. It sounds plausible that her own promotional channel can legally upload her own videos, but you never know. It even included a video of a concert, professionally produced, not just the result of one of the many phones I saw recording it. So a legal upload of her commercial performances.

2. Eguro

Is this not a situation where capitalism might actually be good for something?

YT: "Well we'll just leave the EU then!"

EU: "Oh noes... What should we do"

Group of EU Citizens: "We'll start our own streaming service with blackjac... a slightly altered system and the possibility for content creators on YT to also upload to our service for both the EU audience and beyond."

YT: "But that'll mean videos on your platform will be viewable by both EU and non-EU citizens... That's a better value-offer for content creators than we're offering... Oh no!"

YT melts away/fixes itself.

(or maybe an existing platform will do it. Whatever)

1. Spazturtle Silver badge

That'w won't happen because nobody in the EU could afford to set it up and run it. Having to review every single video before it can be uploaded is prohibitively expensive.

2. codejunky Silver badge

@ Eguro

"Is this not a situation where capitalism might actually be good for something?"

I think you might have capitalism wrong. If ABC are not willing to take this on due to the oppressive regulations then what are the chances someone will be daring enough to make it, or that anyone would care for the limited and extremely over careful content?

Regulation can kill capitalism (actually this part is markets not capitalism but anyway).

3. gnarlymarley

Naw. It's more like a community that decides to ticket/tow illegally parked delivery vehicles being warned by a delivery company that if they start doing so, no one will make deliveries in their community.

Ummm, deliveries will still happen. The catch is that they will be by someone like the mafia who will enjoy the higher pay. There are a lot of thrill seekers out there that will attempt to deliver and try to get away with it.

Of course, in this case, google may just block all IPs in Europe and withdraw its presence, just like it is heading for the android EU stupidness. The VPNs will need to stay out of Europe and even if they are breaking the law there, they will never be caught. This lack of presence means the jobs move to other parts of the world, so less employment in Europe.

So what would be the point of a law that does not stop copyright criminal activity?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: LenG

New Law. You must first check everything you say, post, upload or create against all known works of media, fiction, writing, film, audio, music and IP in existence. If your argument is "but I won't put any existing IP in my used content", well, lets hope no music, images, infrared influence or prior art exist for *anything* you do.

Because even "Or maybe I shouldn't" has a million hits on Google. So who said it first, should they have copyright? Should you be banned from saying it?

I totally agree that uploading existing content, passing off, and counterfeiting should not be allowed. But a lot of people here are painting themselves in a massive corner saying *everything* is infringing and must be checked prior!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"You must first check everything you say"

You should make some effort to understand what copyright really is, and how really works - and what "fair use" exceptions are. Otherwise, your just spreading FUD.

3. The Nazz

Interesting comment that about "illegal parking". Yes, traffic wardens exist and yes, people frequently get ticketed, those which stick* are almost always entirely their fault for their chosen action.

But, i would be willing to wager that less than 5% of illegal parking is ticketed. I could go out now, 9pm in the evening and within minutes find hundreds of cars parked illegally which won't get ticketed.

So, should we ban all motorists because some park illegally and get away with it?

* eg the twat of an Oxford city centre warden issuing a ticket despite a perfectly valid parking ticket being on display, immediately cancelled upon a complaint being made, obviously, albeit at my further time and expense.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time for change

When I come to power hypocrisy will be made illegal (along with adverts claiming using their product will make you more attractive to the opposite sex - basically all of them)

I've had enough of American corporations. Probably why the apes will take over - more integrity

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Devil

Re: Time for change

What about products that genuinely do make you more attractive to the opposite sex?

2. IceC0ld

IMHO

You Tube is believed to pull down between 10 and 15 BILLION $ per year ........................

it's been raking in this cash for over a decade, but now, when asked to ensure that the ones creating the product, are catered for / paid for or product removed .................

NOW it's all too much like hard work ........................

you have NO idea how hard I would be prepared to function to ensure that the goose kept on laying those golden returns ffs

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: IMHO

Any decrease in youtube is good.

Presently, you can make money with the most worthless useless sh*t uploaded there. Compare that to a website where your ad revenue is barely hovering above zero. Regardless of the quality of your content.

Google, for whatever reason, has been pricing DOWN web ads and video ads UP for the last 5 years and shifting their ad machine towards youtube and away from web content.

Anything to throw a bit of a spanner in the works for this one is good as far as I am concerned.

2. Spazturtle Silver badge

Re: IMHO

"You Tube is believed to pull down between 10 and 15 BILLION $ per year "

Exactly, they simply don't make enough money to be able to afford to implement the requirements of this new directive. It's unaffordable.

3. Geoffrey W

When did YouTube add Slash to its video streaming and piracy portfolio? Can't wait to read what Susan Wojcicki, Satya Nadella, and Sundar Pichai get up to on their bi-annual team building workshops in Las Vegas...

4. Tomato42

Well, if Wojcicki wasn't fully occupied with fucking with legitimate YouTubers uploading original content, maybe YouTube wouldn't have problems with sustaining on copyright-infringing mass-uploaders

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"The police should catch bad drivers, instead of giving me speeding tickets"

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

To correct the analogy:

"the police should catch bad drivers instead of trying to arrest me for filming them in a public space"

1. ratfox

I feel a proper analogy should reflect the fact that the more they try to catch pirates, the more they are going to annoy innocent users with false positives.

2. gnarlymarley

"The police should catch bad drivers, instead of giving me speeding tickets"

Ummm, isn't speeding considered aa act of a "bad driver"? The speeding ticket is only an issue if you were not actually speeding.

Now I was going the flow of traffic one day, and a cop pulled me over and claimed I was speeding. Now I drive under the speed limit instead of going the speed limit. (And yes, I will admit that going slightly slower that traffic could be considered impeding the flow, but better to be "safe than sorry". If you don't like it, then stop calling the cops on me.) By adding more laws, we make it easier to catch the innocent in some sort of trap and we miss catching the guilty. It would be nice if we could actually catch the guilty without involving the innocent. (Also by guilty, I mean someone that broke the law, not someone that annoyed you.)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eff the E.U.

America and American companies should leave these freetard loving idiots behind. Take our defense system with us and let Mother Russia invade. Read these forums. Not a single person who has ever worked an honest day in their life. Just a bunch of free loaders. They will love communism.

1. julian.smith

Re: Eff the E.U.

Goodbye ... take Putin's Bitch with you

2. Christopher Reeve's Horse
      Trollface

@joekhul Bro, that's quite some comment history you have. Almost exclusively posting on articles related to Google, massive amounts of downvotes, and liberal use of the terms 'RegTard'. I'm almost tempted to believe you might be attempting to troll...

And just for clarity; exactly which part of Russia is it that you think is still communist? You appear to be >25 years out of touch.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. FrozenShamrock

joekhul - you're a disgrace not only to America, but humanity as a whole. I thought American capitalism was all about protecting private property? I sometimes get the feeling that property is more important than people in this country. After all, aren't corporations people? The EU is trying to protect private property from being stolen by pirate outfits like You tube. But, then again, your golden idol (or is it orange idol) pouty puss, little hands trump has been served with cease and desist orders from several artists for stealing their songs for use at his idiot fests. You and your kind are the free tards here; wanting to profit from the work of someone else.

6. the Jim bloke

get some regulation happening

and if youtube has too much content to even try to be compliant, maybe its time for smaller more responsive entities to move in.

No monopoly will ever willingly let someone else into what they see as their patch, but if they have become so big they arent serving their customers (users - not advertisers), its time to start swinging the axe.

7. GordyBUK

Copyright? What's that?

Google/TouTube don't give a toss about copyright. Their attitude has always been to just publish it first, consider saying "sorry" (with fingers crossed behind their back) later, and/or get the lawyers involved. Take google books, for example.

Digital Music News has a good analysis of the OpEd piece, addressing all the issues. If YT is supportive of Article 13, as thely calim, why spend more than $36M trying to prevent it from passing?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Copyright? What's that?

Your post has been removed for copyright. I mean, why should Youtube be labeled this way, and The Register get a free pass? From now on, every post, article and image used by Te Register, and GordyBUKs access to the entire internet, must be checked by:

An Eu representative for copyright

A corperate Copyright holder for every company ever to release copyrighted material

Disney and all the massive companies

Every Legal representation firm looking for a quick buck by taking breaches to court over infringement

Please allow 7 to 8 years per post, upload or "content" you create for us to vet.

Yours thankfully, The Brigade Painting Youtube with a bad light... but not looking in the mirror themselves.

1. GordyBUK

Re: Copyright? What's that?

Complete and utter rubbish! You've clearly never suffered at the hands of those abusing the copyright of something that you have produced, whereas I have, and I know many others (musicians and authors) who are in the same boat as me.

I don't think copyright is perfect, but there has to be some way to protect the rights of content creators , otherwise we may as well kiss goodbye to literature and music, for starters.

The work being done by the Copyright Hub is interesting, as it puts the power back in the hands of the copyright holder, rather than letting comopanies like YouTube abuse the law.

http://www.copyrighthub.org/

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Copyright industry rules..

So youtube has problems with new EU copyright directive? Latest problematic youtube copyright problem we've seen was when someone posted to an irc channel a youtube video which had remixed parts from commercial blockbuster movies + some idiot explaining whatever is happening in the scene + some video editing tricks. Whoever posted the video got some heat for posting the content without a license, but guess the real problem is that the video was allowed in youtube's platform. Given that the video (with clearly infringing content) is available in youtube, other people might also see it without knowledge that the author of the video had no permission to publish the content on youtube.

Youtube clearly has problems with following copyrights, given that they rely on DMCA to protect them against copyright lawsuits. Guess that isn't suitable plan in EU area, so they should use http request code: "451 Unavailable For Legal Reasons" for EU citizens until they can get their copyright story working properly.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Copyright industry rules..

Your post has "clearly infringing content" in it. Our lawyers will be with you shortly. The text matches our copyrighted book. As you have already posted before vetting/checking against all known written works, the breach has already happened. Thus you already owe us damages and losses.

We look forwards to your payment/court hearing.

(Oh, sorry, the harshness of a law only applies to others, and not yourself? You do realise it may not be reasonable to consider every "clip" or "snip" of video, audio, or in your case text, to be copyrighted?)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

EU residents are at risk of being cut off from videos

Is it a piece of FUD in your pocket, or are you just displeased to see me?

10. juice

Surely...

"Pointing to global music hit "Despacito," Wojcicki said the video has multiple copyrights, and while YouTube currently has deals in place to pay royalties, some of the rights holders aren't known to the company."

Surely at this point, you'd work with the content creator to identify and credit all the copyright owners. After all, it's barely two years old; it's not like they're trying to confirm ownershop of the various plays Homer is claimed to have written.

Hell, even Wikipedia has a stab at a credit list - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Despacito#Credits_and_personnel

I'm guessing that there's some aspect of their "safe harbour" defence which would be weakened if they were to work with content producers to sort out copyrights, but claiming it's outright impossible for a song which has racked up over 5 /billion/ views and earned it's creator some $10 million in revenue[*]? Disingenuous at best.

[*] https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-earnings-of-the-song-Despacito-on-YouTube-alone - presumably, that also means that Youtube has earned at least the same amount of revenue, if not significantly more.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If copyright wasn't absurdly long then I might have some sympathy but you're not going to get a coherent argument from BIG media because it's in their interest to maintain the status quo. I'd be for tougher enforcement if it were for a reasonable period of 20 years say but death + 70 is quite ridiculous and I wish the pirates well until BIG media is willing to give something to get something.

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

The copyright rule is simple: the mouse never goes out of copyright.

12. Patrick R
    Thumb Up

Despacito..."we might have to block videos like this"

What a loss for the World.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"EU residents are at risk of being cut off from videos that, in just the last month, they viewed more than 90bn times."

ok, ok. so i watched *that* tiktok video clip a few too many times.

14. mithrenithil

Errm do people realise that this will affect any streaming service as soon as it hits a certain "size".

The only streaming EU will have is back to the old media giants who will vet and produce their own content at a cost. Also it won't affect Google as a business, they will just sell their own gated service to EU, maybe called YouTube Red where EUizens can consume produced content just as they would from Amazon, Netflix, Sky, and all the other media giants.

The real question is what will happen to all the independent content creators? This isn't about jumping platform as they will either need to sign up to a big company and be produced or lose the EU market.

15. mark l 2 Silver badge

I admit I have watched copyright material on Youtube before, but most of what I have watched that is copyrighted is not available to watch legitimately anywhere else even if I were to pay for it. In the last couple of weeks I have watched unreleased pilot episodes of US versions of Peep show and Red Dwarf. And no doubt stuff like this would be removed if the big media companies get their way and Article 13 goes ahead.

I think there is a better solution to the problem of piracy on Youtube than those proposed in Article 13, and it would start with reducing the copyright length from its current ridiculously long term to one more reasonable such as 25 years. But that is never going to happen with big media companies having so much influence with the worlds governments.

16. GrapeBunch
    Big Brother

Alt-urn-8-Eve-lee

Maybe the EU should make a rule that a certain percentage, say 75 or 125 or 300, of ad revenue for views of a copyrighted work, cast on behalf of a non-owner, must go to the copyright owner. Or to the EU itself. (<< see, I'm collecting down votes, it's the 21st century upgrade of Numismatics.) In addition to the familiar takedown measures. Yes, there are issues, but knowing the revenue should not be one of them.

Or mandate a $$ reward for (the first?) viewer who reports each copyrighted work cast on behalf of a non-holder of the copyright. That ought to be an entertaining scramble.

If people weren't fixated by the thought that they could watch or collect stuff, we'd be involved in more healthful recreations such as gardening, yoga, or playing Go. As we did before the invention of the VCR. It's like a 21st century upgrade of Philately. They want us to pay attention. The annoying screens and technologies are part of the process of hooking us on their game.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like