back to article That amazing Microsoft software quality, part 97: Windows Phone update kills Outlook, Calendar

Microsoft has thrown gasoline on its quality-assurance dumpster fire by disabling the Mail and Calendar apps on some of its Lumia Windows 10 Phone devices. The app hobbling, an awkward second act to Thurday's unplanned downgrade of Windows 10 Pro, appears to be the consequence of what Microsoft charitably calls an update, …

Silver badge

> but Google did have a hissy fit when MS made their own Youtube app

Google blocked the Microsoft Youtube app because it deliberately did not follow Google's Terms of Service. Specifically, Microsoft blocked Google ads which is what pays for the service.

Note that this did not block user's access to Youtube, they could watch using the browser.

It was Microsoft being evil (again).

https://www.windowscentral.com/google-microsoft-remove-youtube-windows-phone-store

Silver badge

Google blocked the Microsoft Youtube app because it deliberately did not follow Google's Terms of Service. Specifically, Microsoft blocked Google ads which is what pays for the service.

Note that this did not block user's access to Youtube, they could watch using the browser.

It was Microsoft being evil (again).

Nice feature though - The bloody ads are annoying and even signed in to youtube for all your youtube watching they still manage to fail to feed me advertising tailored to my interests

- What's the f****ing point of all that data collection and tracking me everywhere to then conclude i'm a thirty-something social-climbing young professional female woman interested in make-overs, fashionable perfumes and travel and not a sad single geek in his mid-forties who watches tech-channels, ghost tales and ancient aliens...?

This wasn't Evil - blocking Googles ads and replacing their own or ones where the ching ching went in their pockets instead would be Evil....

Anonymous Coward

but I'm going to have to get an Android phone soon just because nobody writes software for WP anymore.

But nobody ever did in the first place.

Anonymous Coward

Re: BS

attracting devs was already a tall order for a small marketshare phone.

Nothing to do with the small market share. Everything to do with the fact that it was a company with a long track record of abusing developers.

Silver badge

More fun to come yet. And it may take a while to resolve as people now will disable windows updates front, left, right and center.

Won't it be a real hoot if M$ inadvertently causes some critical servers to crash and burn badly due to some dodgy server updates? (Bound to happen sooner or later, given the lack of QA).

TVU
Silver badge

"The app hobbling, an awkward second act to Thurday's unplanned downgrade of Windows 10 Pro, appears to be the consequence of what Microsoft charitably calls an update, issued earlier this week"

These days, when Microsoft uses the term "update", it turns out that it is their gentle euphemism for "clusterf*ck".

Simple business...

Microsoft have a choice of...

1, invest in proper QA and development, keep customers happy and lose very few customers.

2, save money on QA and development, piss customers off but still lose very few customers because most of them have no choice.

Shareholders will force them to choose 2, the users are locked in and they can't go anywhere - why would they bother offering a better product if the users are still buying the shoddy one?

Silver badge

Re: Simple business...

Simple business...

Microsoft have a choice of...

1, invest in proper QA and development, keep customers happy and lose very few customers.

2, save money on QA and development, piss customers off but still lose very few customers because most of them have no choice.

Shareholders will force them to choose 2, the users are locked in and they can't go anywhere - why would they bother offering a better product if the users are still buying the shoddy one?

This....I think we're looking at an option 2 future :(

Users are locked in and they can't go anywhere

"Shareholders will force them to choose 2, the users are locked in and they can't go anywhere"

I don't believe so. The consumer market can walk away to re-use their PC for many more years with Linux Mint, or walk away to Apple or get a Chromebook. Most consumers are happy not to use a PC anyway, prefering their phones and tablets / pads.

That leaves it to the corporate market to decde which way it will go. With more and more software being delivered as a service, there's less need to worry about the OS. When the OS borks and is more and more unreliable, businesses will also walk sooner or later.

I've put up with MS for 30 years, they revolutionised home and business computing whether we like them or not, it's a fact. But the pain now is getting worse, with Fragile used for developing the OS and beggar all testing in-house, plus all the worries about trying to keep safe from malware too, it's a big headache. I expect to cut free finally from Windows in 2019 and use Linux Mint and OSX.

Silver badge

Re: Users are locked in and they can't go anywhere

I don't believe so. The consumer market can walk away

The user isn't really locked in by MS anymore, they are locked in by their own belief that there is no alternative but to put up with it.

Walls of their own making, 'cause aren't we all trapped by walls of our own making?

Silver badge

Management picking #2 is management that kills the company entirely - albeit not immediately.

There is a wall around Windows, made of business critical applications.

That wall has been getting lower.

If MS continue to screw up in this way, eventually a large corporation will tell their IT minions "We can't afford the risk of Windows anymore, fix it"

That will be the end of Windows.

Silver badge

You can't loose Customers you never really had. (Which I gather kionda works both ways if you think about it.). Most Plebs only have an OEM version of MicroSoft's finest. And, that Sale was to the OEM. (e.g. Dell), MicroSoft have discoverd the shear joys of Microtransations via their XBOX Live!, and saw, how both Apple, and Google were using that premise to make more money after the sale of some iThing, or other Android Device. And, of couse MicroSoft wanted to get into that act. The long game is undoubtly to make Windows a Monthly Subscribtion Sevice. Problem is if they just up and run with it. MicroSoft would be gone with-in a Week. So what else can they make Money / Use out of.... Oh yeah that Big Data, Cloud thing...

Now, you can either chose to move in locksteep with 'em. Or you can still leave. either way. The only Customers in that exact scnce of the Word would to me be the Windows X users. Not those running some OEM copy of Windows 7.

Which is why I never saw myself as being a Customer of theirs, and why I have no rights to call them up and complain how shite their Software is. As they will rightfully tell me to take it up with the OEM (i.e. Dell), who sold me the Computer with Windows on it.

Silver badge

Re: Users are locked in and they can't go anywhere

I expect to cut free finally from Windows in 2019 and use Linux Mint and OSX FreeBSD.

There Fixed that for you...

This post has been deleted by its author

It's a damn shame, what happen with winpho & Nokia. We migrated earlier this year to Android because various things simply stopped working, so I guess this isn't really a surprise so much as just discovering where the lightening was due to strike next.

Silver badge
Gimp

Worse than a shot in the foot

It is an eye opener how Microsoft treats "those who cling to Windows Phone devices" (as the article calls them) or in other words its most loyal fanboy cadres.

Anonymous Coward

Potential

Well I know of 1 east midlands county council (rhymes with rottinghamshire) that very heavily use Lumia 650s.

Can't help but wonder what fun their IT Dept has had with this.

They've only just started looking at Android phones.......

Anonymous Coward

Re: Potential

They are not the only council saddled with MS phones, depending on your product replacement cycle there was a significant issue around retaining Public Sector Network Compliance on Android devices.

I managed a project at another LA where winphones were selected as the replacement for Android devices as the entire android fleet had to be binned due to lack of security patching availability. You cannot use rooted devices so a non manufacturer ROM was not an option. Apple could offer the continued support required but the Lumia came in at 25% of the cost of an Apple device at the time. The investment has been justified over a 4 year period. As long as you were just using the MS office apps, mail and web browsing the phones were still functional and patched. The main issue I came across for core apps was when MS updated its authenticator app but deprecated the winphone 10 version. The work around for that was hilariously to use the google authenticator available in the windows store. I'm genuinely at a loss to what will happen at the next re-procurement. Unless vendors will commit to providing security patches for the expected economic life of the phone (4 or 5 years) then councils will be either faced with a 2 year replacement policy using cheaper android handsets or the market will be ceded to Apple by default, although the near £1000 handset cost could foil that. Another requirement for PSN compliance was that devices must be securely managed. One of the biggest costs of moving estates to a new regime will be the cost of implementing the required policies for MDM and integrating a new manufacturer with the MDM solution. I've not been involved in mobile for a couple of years but back then the MDM products all seemed to be flaky and integration with a different model was problematic let alone changing operating systems. AC as I still consult in this space.

Silver badge
Devil

The lead-in picture is wrong ...

... should be missing 6 toes and sporting a few see through holes.

Re: The lead-in picture is wrong ...

... and you're not going to be doing much self-foot-shooting with an uncocked gun, for that matter.

If only...

If the rest of the phone industry would stop chasing nonsensical features... and charging a premium for nonsense... maybe they could tempt me away from my 1020.

I want a good camera, and a phone OS that doesn't rearrange itself every few months...

NOT some bullshit edge to edge screen (because reasons!), redundant camera lenses for stupid photo party tricks, fingerprint sensors for ppl too impatient for a pin, stupidly thin to the point of being not fit for purpose, and absolutely requiring an aftermarket case which almost always interferes with touch recognition (see edge to edge screen).

Deride us all you want, when the phone industry moves beyond it's teenager-in-high-school levels of nonsense chasing, I'll buy.

Re: If only...

Agree with all you say, except fingerprint recognition, that, for me, is a great feature...not so Face ID.

Silver badge

Sony tried most of that. They lose money.

Silver badge

That could be a thought for th things that they (S0NY), are doing wrong? Sure way back in the day S0NY actually stood for something. What's the first thing to roll of the top of your head these days?

Tintitron?

Bravia?

The Walk / Disc -man?

Their Robotic K9 Unit?

Perhaps those VIAO Laptops?

Nope They are that Company who's in a war for the Livingroom, with MicroSoft's XBone. With their latest Playstation. Your damn right if you think I think that S0NY beanded Phones were too expensive (back in the day), when compaired to the better looking Phones coming out of South Kerea (again at the time). Today the South Korean Firms ar at, or at least surpassed S0NY on many of those fronts, are are now finding themselve being erroded by other Chinese OD/OE -M's who can pretty much parrot what the big boys are doing, but again at a fraction of the price.

The simple fact is if S0NY would make a decent Flagship Phone, with most of the Bells, and whistles, of the day, and then tryed to sell it for about half of what Samsung are asking for with the S/Note 8/9/10. I think they would suddenly start to sell some Phones again. Add Playstaion Vue as Blotware crap to make even more money streaming Playstaion Games to said Phones. Yeah they did kind of tryed that once before. But, that PSP Phone thing was way to niche. Not to mention it probably wasn't really ready for primetime. What with UTMS / 3G just starting to roll out. but, now with 4&5G. That could actually probably even be a thing.

MicroGlitch.

Silver badge
Alert

Nice eMail Client you got there, shame if something were to hapen to it. But, I'm sure Mr. Nadella isn't the kind of guy to let such an excelent opportunity to shrill the benifits of Oriface 365, to not go by.

Looks like a fix was made

Looks like a fix was released (or a downgrade, who knows?) on Saturday. I'm using a windows phone, I actually prefer the interface compared to Apple or Android (I actually moved from Android to Windows Phone when it was Windows Phone 8.1 with a Lumia 735). The problem is, not everyone can jump to a different platform/new phone. My phones usually last 5-8 years, I'm not a big app user, I just want to basics, (email, basic internet, Skype instead of text messages). Whoever experienced this problem, Microsoft managed to turn a number of "smartphones" into feature phones overnight. The responses I got on the Microsoft Community to the problem weren't really any good so it was basically a waiting game (with me thinking I'd go back to my old HTC Wildfire until they fixed the issue, thankfully I didn't need to do that).

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018