back to article Windows 10 Pro goes Home as Microsoft fires up downgrade server

Microsoft's activation servers appear to be on the blink this morning – some Windows 10 users woke up to find their Pro systems have, er, gone Home. Twitter user Matt Wadley was one of the first out of the gate, complaining that following an update to the freshly released Insider build of next year's Windows, his machine …

Page:

1. Michael Habel

Re: RIP KDE

And, here I thought thart KDE was last seen heading out toward the far end of the Shed?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Just go Linux

"I used to prefer KDE years back, what desktop do people go for these days"

KDE but it's not as good as it was. The UX flat GUI infestation gets everywhere.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I used to prefer KDE years back, what desktop do people go for these days - Gnome? KDE? Other?

KDE for me with KDE Neon distro for the most recent updates to everything KDE. Been using it for years and love it more now than ever.

Ive just done a little coding on Win 10 which happened to have excel 2010. Compared to Linux it really is like using a toy OS. And whats with the ribbon. What an untity mess it looks compared to Libreoffice!

Each to their own I guess.

One thing is more sure anybody using windows in a mission critical situation needs to look at the alternatives, alternatives where you're in control not Redmond.

3. Usermane

LXDE, is light and fast.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> LXDE, is light and fast.

Who down voted this, go on explain yourself.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I have 1 Win10 laptop. I honestly cannot even be bothered to boot it to 10.

I'm gonna have to VM 7 for legacy, and possibly even buy 8.1 for some more recent builds... but 10... I might use it for skunkworks. XD

1. Michael Habel

Using Windows X Slurp Edition for your Skunkworks Division... What could possibly ever go wrong?

1. Michael Habel

Dohh How did I fail to see my own genus at work?

MicroSoft Windows X SE (Slurp Edition).... Its almost enough to make me slightly nostalgic for Windows 98SE.

2. RAMChYLD

Well, if your intention of keeping windows around is because of games (especially those from asshole Linux-hating companies like Blizzard and Ubisoft), going Linux doesn’t really make sense.

3. Steve 114
      Thumb Down

Of course I can, it's on dual-boot. But that doesn't solve the problem with all the irreplaceable (and often legacy) things that depend on Windows.

4. Lorin Thwaits

It certainly makes sense -- Microsoft needed more testers for the Home version instead of the Pro version!

(Personally I'm running Win 7 Amateur edition)

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh goody

Another MS TITSUP event.

The major snafu's seem to be coming thick and fast at the moment.

As I have said before, it is their machine not yours. They can do what the hell they like with it and there is little you can do to stop them. Even taking legal action is a dead duck. They will just deny all liability and point to their EULA that says you can't sue them for anything. Queue 10 years of costs in court getting nowhere.

What MS giveth that seem to be taking away with a vengance at the moment.

I'd better get the popcorn out. This could be an interesting few days.

1. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge

Re: Oh goody

The EULA does not take away your rights under the consumer rights act to having a decent product that works.

After all... Ford could make you sign an EULA saying that any accidents are the fault of the driver....

However , if you manage to beat the M$ lawyers , all you'll get back is the cost of the win 10 licence

1. ibmalone

Consumer rights only apply to consumers though. Business to business you're down to contract law.

"Consumer rights only apply to consumers though."

If MS have downgraded to a consumer version then maybe consumer law should apply.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"However , if you manage to beat the M$ lawyers , all you'll get back is the cost of the win 10 licence"

There was one report of a woman who got a few $k for the disruption caused to her by the enforced upgrade.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"They will just deny all liability and point to their EULA that says you can't sue them for anything. Queue 10 years of costs in court getting nowhere."

Small claims court and stuff their unenforceable EULA.

2. Dwarf

Microsoft Windows

The gift that just keeps on giving.

- Giving pain to it users.

Wake up everyone, open the windows, go outside, smell the roses, there are other choices that work far better.

3. chivo243 Silver badge
    Facepalm

Asleep at the wheel?!

M$, please see Title.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MS

MS you had one fucking job...

5. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge
    Happy

Billywindows fun again, I see.

Now we wait for Bombastic Bob to have a go at them :)

We got one laptop with the clap at the moment. Waiting for the user to come back from wherever so that I can have a prod 'n poke at said laptop and see what's going on.

Thanks M$ for the extra work. Now go away.

1. rmason

No Bob or our favourite random-conspiracy-related-word-generator, AMFM, are you ok?

2. dmacleo

do you really want to poke something that has the clap????

to each their own....burning sensation... I guess

:)

6. arctic_haze

Will this never end?

Microsoft at least in consistent in the quality of its services.

Re: Will this never end?

"Microsoft at least in consistent in the quality of its services."

That's ISO9000 for you. All that's required is consistency.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft, stop running your activation service on Windows and it might be more reliable, sell the dogfood, don't eat it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They can eat it once it comes out the other end of the dog.

1. hplasm
        Devil

They can eat it once it comes out the other end of the dog.

That's when they sell it!

8. clocKwize

Re: Contractor rights

my gaming PC popped up with a "windows needs to be activated" watermark much to my displeasure. Hopefully it goes away in a day or 2, but it is certainly not the end of the world.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Well it should be the end of the world for a gaming PC, one of the things that gets nobbled with unactivated Windows is Direct X.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Mushroom

yeah, that's the kind of thing that should worry EVERYONE. Periodic "re-activation". What the *FEEL* were they *FEELING* (not thinking) when they excreted *THAT* "feature" ???

2. PCArcade

It doesn't. Direct X works fine on a non activated PC. It doesn't make this latest cock up ok, but gaming boxes are still going to be ok

3. DAHISTRIMUS

nope works fine on my home gaming pc

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Perhaps it gets nobbled after 30 days.

4. Unixman39

Run the beta Proton3.7 for Steam. A great number of windows games now running under Steam OS on Linux and it is darn good and getting better daily. It's just a matter of time before Windows loses it's crown. That will be when it goes subscription service and you have to pay a monthly or yearly fee for it. The greedy clown (Billy Gates) can fully stuff it by then.

1. Agamemnon

It pains me to do this as I'm a xNIX person, and no fan of Redmond (in fact, I live in it), and so much more likely to sound like Bombastic Bob than makes me personally comfortable, and so:

Bill's (formerly unchallenged) greed has absolutely nothing to do with anything at Microsoft these days. Oh, the Interns know who he is a vague way (seriously!) but Bill drives around Bellevue in a minivan and is a great deal more interested in other things (according to El Reg, Poop, specifically) these days. Bill is not, nor has he been for some time, responsible for the retarded shit-storm that is today's Microsoft. Ballmer set much in motion, and adjusting with both nudges AND hammers we have SatNad who is quite firmly in control, and thus, to blame.

I don't mind calling out villany, just make sure you get the right villan. (Oracle and Amazon continue to make this easy.)

"is a great deal more interested in other things (according to El Reg, Poop, specifically) these days"

Not too big a difference.

9. johnnyblaze

Finally upgraded

I bit the bullett and upgraded my Windows 7 PC at the weekend.... to Windows 8.1! With a 3rd party start menu replacement (Start8 in this case), it's actually very fast and stable, and not a forced upgrade in site. It will give me a few more years grace anyway - before that godawful Win10 looms (or wobbles by that time) onto the horizon for me!

10. Tezfair

Not the first time

About 2 years ago, not long after a free upgrade from W7 I started getting this sort of error, usually also followed by the 'this needs to be activated' messages. In the end I scrapped my dual booting setup, got a 500gb ssd and done a fresh install and it's been ok since.

11. Martin Summers Silver badge

Shame I've pissed about all morning trying to sort this on a machine activated with Windows 10 Pro for over 2 years. I don't read 'El Reg until dinner time. At least I have an explanation now! FFS Microsoft...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh No!

Not an 0x004003 error!? They've been thrown back to 1984. Did no one tell Microsoft about meaningful error messages?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh No!

What, so you prefer "Oops, something went wrong"?

Windows users...

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
        Coat

shouldn't that be "Share and Enjoy!"

(or was that "Go stick your head in a pig!")

Doff hat to the late, great Douglas Adams

2. Not That Andrew

Or the other favorite

"Something went wrong: Something went wrong."

2. Skribblez

Like the good old sys1475 error message, the numbers help for ease of internationalization. Though it would help if we had access to the list of error codes too... :-)

3. David 132 Silver badge
      Happy

Not an 0x004003 error!? They've been thrown back to 1984. Did no one tell Microsoft about meaningful error messages?

Software Failure. Press left mouse button to continue.

Guru Meditation 0x004003

13. Anonymous Bullard
    Facepalm

So, Windows regularly contacts the licensing servers to check if the licence is suddenly no longer valid.

What could possibly go wrong? Oh, wait...

14. Mage Silver badge
    Childcatcher

Registry fix?

Is there a registry fix, or is there any possibility MS will mess up in the other direction and make all copies of "Home" be "Pro"?

Really the Home versions of Windows are evil and the price difference etc Home / Pro is evil. Also most consumers don't get a choice.

1. Antonius_Prime

Re: Registry fix?

"Also most consumers don't get a choice."

Well, you're not wrong in one sense.

In another the choice they get is M$ or the Fruit Factory, all for a "It just works! I'm not like those IT techy blokes! I have a life! I don't have time to learn all the useless bollockology* they use!"

(*Actual words used by one of my End L-Users because i took personal Skype off his work PC and told him Biz Skype or piss off. His retort of "it's my PC!" was met with "No. It's the company's. You agreed to abide by the IT Standards when you started. If you don't like it, I'll upgrade you to an abacus and a notepad. I'll be nice and let you choose your own colour pen. There shouldn't be any compatibility issues!")

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Really the Home versions of Windows are evil and the price difference etc Home / Pro is evil

The price difference is evil?

I paid £2.36 for a win10 Pro licence off ebay. Home was £1.73. I can't see how the price difference is evil? 63p is hardly earth shattering. It won't even get you a can of coke...

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like