back to article Russian computer failure on ISS is nothing to worry about – they're just going to turn it off and on again

It's never a nice feeling with your computer keels over, wiping out work, sometimes requiring hours of maintenance and basically ruining your day. But spare a thought for the three astronauts currently in the International Space Station who discovered earlier today that one of the three computers in the station's Russian …

1. johnnyblaze

Not Windows 10

I suppose we should be grateful that, because of its age, the ISS isn't running Windows 10. Now that would be a scary proposition.

2. Christian Berger Silver badge

Actually transistent failures are to be expected

The area up there, although not very far away from the surface of earth, is still full of cosmic radiation. Things like latch-ups, where an unintended thyristor in your chip gets started by some particle causing your chip to have a short, are not uncommon.

Though this is space flight. The task at hand is not very computationally intensive. So it's likely those 3 computers use space hardened hardware with structure sizes from the 1980s. So we are probably talking about the complexity of an early 1980s home computer.

3. BristolBachelor Gold badge

Re: Actually transistent failures are to be expected

Something like that. But even up higher in GEO, more than one shutdown/glitch/SW error in 15 years continual operation is a MASSIVE issue.

4. DougS Silver badge

Re: Actually transistent failures are to be expected

The US no longer uses rad hard gear in almost all cases, they just shield it and rely on redundancy. Dunno if Russia has followed suit.

You still end up with trailing edge technology because it takes them a decade or two to design stuff that goes into space. You don't get to up the spec to whatever is current after you've spent years testing everything.

5. Stevie Silver badge

Bah!

Three Computers?

Then the ISS is really ... A BERSERKER???

AIEE!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Disappeared"? Crashed? Not responding correctly?

"I'm sorry, Ivan. I'm afraid I can't do that."

7. arctic_haze Silver badge

Correction

In Soviet Russia computers upgrade you.

8. martin 62

i can imagine

I can imagine the sene on the ISS playing out a little like this: https://youtu.be/6QihBIewyrY

9. This post has been deleted by its author

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018