back to article Office 2019 lumbers to the stage once more as Microsoft promises future releases

What might well be the last non-cloudy version of Microsoft Office has been nudged gently into the light. The on-premises edition of Office 2019 has shipped and contains all the enhancements that Office 365 ProPlus users have seen over the last three years. Microsoft is at pains to point out that 2019 is a one-time release …

Page:

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Re: Hold on there..

Yep. And for the person who said the only person he(?) knows who uses it is their grandfather for the church newsletter ( I think it was). Well, there are an awful lot of churches, and newsletters. Small enterprises that want to produce a well laid out document, simply, with the information needed.

It's perfect for these small organisations, or households who want to make a few invitations, or notices. Then knock out 10 or 20 copies on the inkjet printer.

Probably not so great for creating a magazine with 1000+ print run. Though I'm sure that's been done too.

I have Office Pro + 2010. It has Publisher.

I see no reason to upgrade and frankly I'd have been happier staying with the previous version.

1. hammarbtyp Silver badge

The only time I've seen publisher used in anger(sic) was my daughters school when the ICT teacher would send out the school newsletter in publisher format.

However because the majority of people did not have publisher installed, it was basically unreadable unless you went through a lot of hoops.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

They were sending a document electronically from Publisher. FFS. Why? That's not what it's for. And an ICT teacher should be able to send it as a fucking PDF if they must use Publisher, anyway.

I like Publisher. For when it's appropriate.

This is like giving everyone chopsticks to eat roast beef and Yorkshire pudding.

1. hammarbtyp Silver badge

"They were sending a document electronically from Publisher. FFS. Why? That's not what it's for. And an ICT teacher should be able to send it as a fucking PDF if they must use Publisher, anyway."

I raised the question everytime at parents evenig. They promised to send vis PDF next time and never

did. However I think that there is an assumption that publisher documents are like word document and are easily read. However there are very few converters around (I don't think even Google supports it)

To be honest this was the time when virtually anyone could teach ICT since all it involved was showing kids around powerpoint. They were a ex-chemistry teacher and to be honest I was felt they were only doing it to tide them over till retirement.

Yes publisher is OK, and far better than trying to format word documents. I user Serif PagePlus for similar tasks. You can normally pick up a older copy for virtually nothing

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

I think, at one time, you could get Serif software free. They used to give away the older versions, if I remember correctly.

1. TheVogon Silver badge

"Microsoft has already announced that Office 2019 will not run on Windows 7 or 8.x"

Or on Windows 10 LTSB.

1. ivan5

In that case what use is it?

2. JohnFen Silver badge

In other words

Office 2019 is the last version of Office, period.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Clippy is now AI?

So Clippy is now called AI?

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: Clippy is now AI?

Nope, it is AS

2. 20TC

I thought Clippy was always an arsehole irritation...?

But seriously, I can’t really see enough difference between Office 2016 (run by me) and Office 2010 (run by the rest of my guys) for day-to-day office DP work... even the most tortuous Excel pivot table crashes equally well in both versions....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I see enough difference...to wish I was still using Excel 2010.

My four year old Core i7 laptop with Win7/Office 2010 is miles faster than my brand new Core i7 laptop with Win10/Office 2016 on the same spreadsheets.

I can't be the only one surely?

4. mark l 2 Silver badge

I bet that MS will produce another version stand alone version of Office after 2019 and probably for a decade or 2 after that unless they want to loose a shed load of money. There will be organisations that either can't use cloud versions of Office or don't want to. And if MS don't produce a stand alone office suite they will look elsewhere for one.

1. DaLo

Yes, but that was also said about Adobe and the Creative Cloud and still everyone went out and signed straight up for it.

1. Steve the Cynic Silver badge

Yes, but that was also said about Adobe and the Creative Cloud and still everyone went out and signed straight up for it.

Not everyone went out and signed up for it.

Attentive readers may recall that something someone said reminded me that I should transfer my Acrobat (Writer) 8 license to my new Win10 PC.

So it was a fully paid-for copy of Acrobat 8, none of this cloud nonsense (because it came before Adobe succumbed to that particular madness), but of course it's so old that (a) it's no longer supported at all, and (b) apparently it's less than 100% functional on Win10, but not supported so there's no way it will ever be fixed.

What about an upgrade? Er... Um... Well, no, there's no way to license an up-to-date version of Acrobat on a one-off payment basis. There's no Adobe equivalent of the Office 2016 side of the 2016-vs-365 debate. It's *all* subscription.(1)

So, given that the reasons I got it in the first place are no longer relevant, the new PC is and will remain stubbornly devoid of Acrobat.

(1) The first time I saw a price for subscription-based software was 1987. I saw a price list for software licenses for IBM mainframes (the company I worked for had a big room full of large computers, including a 4381, some Vaxen, a Wang, a DG, and a variety of other now-extinct beasties).

Lotus 1-2-3's mainframe version(2) was priced at $11000 a month. Yes. eleven thousand a *month*.

(2) Yes, there was one. I didn't see it in action, but it did exist.

5. a_yank_lurker Silver badge

Subscriptions

Slurps love of subscriptions sounds good on paper. But all the products are mature products with competitive mature products. Other than some aggravation of learning a new package there really is nothing keeping someone from moving to another product. Some will be better suited for specific markets. Many do not want to be nickeled and dimed every month for a subscription they might use irregularly.

1. Dwarf Silver badge

Re: Subscriptions

I agree. There are several products I use infrequently where I have a non subscription licence and the product has gone subscription based, the effect seems to be one of:

1. It stops existing customers upgrading

2. It stops new sales from recommendations from existing happy customers

3. It is not cost effective for those who use apps infrequently.

When will marketing companies wake up ?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Office 2019 will not run on Windows 7

that saves me a tenner I might (just might) consider to pay through my wife's work discount deal on various software! Naturally, if I ever found one, just ONE feature worth paying a tenner for that's missing from Office 2016 (or perhaps 2012) I'm running now. Funny, how with Windows 10 I have reached the ultimate synergy with the bestest software maker in the world. Total synergy through total separation, lol.

7. J27 Bronze badge

Looks like office 2013 sp6 more than anything. There is little reason to upgrade Office versions anymore.

8. BGatez

ugh! no- DOUBLE ugh

If it weren't for (alleged) compatibility issues with free office suites, and Outlook addicts, NO ONE (in their right minds) would deal with the mess that is Office.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019