back to article Brexit campaigner AggregateIQ challenges UK's first GDPR notice

A Canadian data analytics firm on the receiving end of the UK's first-ever violation notice of Europe's new data privacy laws is appealing the claims against it. The GDPR notice was sent by Blighty's Information Commissioner (ICO) against AggregateIQ, an organization linked to the Facebook-Cambridge Analytica scandal. The biz …

Page:

1. imanidiot Silver badge
        Windows

Re: So this is punishment for supporting Brexit

"Don't act as if they were honest democratic processes - the opposite is true."

They were. As honest as any other democratic process, like the elections in general.

Or do you honestly believe the other side of those campaigns were all totally honest and didn't use backhanded tactics themselves?

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Brexit took place on June 23 2016 and GDPR became legally enforceable May 25 2018.

Nope. The decision to start Brexit happened then, Brexit itself won't happen until March 29th 2019. Anyway, since UK consumer and data protection law has always been consistently more strict than EU requirements, and the UK co-operates closely with Canada on this, it seems unlikely that Brexit will change this case.

Besides anyone who thinks their personal data is private on facebook is deluding themselves.

That's certainly true, but doesn't exempt Facebook from havig to follow the laws of the countries it operates in (and EULAs that say otherwise are invalid).

2. Lars Silver badge
      Happy

@Walter Bishop

To prevent paranoia I suggest you understand the crime was the same even if it was to support remain and Clinton.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Besides anyone who thinks their personal data is private on facebook is deluding themselves."

That's why we have GDPR - to protect the deluded inter alia.

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Brexit took place on June 23 2016"

No it didn't. I think you may be deluding yourself.

1. Winkypop Silver badge
    Facepalm

Google, Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp

As popular as ever...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When is the ICO going to massively fine The Guardian and Google

for using my personal information gleaned from other sites to tailor and create Ads on my phone fed from realtime Ad Auction merchants that invite me to book at those hotels I previously looked at on Booking.com from another entirely separate computer.

"We Know where you stayed on holiday Last Summer".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: When is the ICO going to massively fine The Guardian and Google

Maybe if you reported them, rather than whining here, you'd have the answer to your question.

2. imanidiot Silver badge

Ad blockers and No-Script or similar want to be your friends you know, why don't you let them.

(And take the time to got through googles opt-out pages, as theres several, and opt out of EVERYTHING you can. Yes this is slightly inconvenient if you use a lot of googly apps, but then you'll just have to decide what you value more. Your privacy or "convenience")

3. MJI Silver badge

You see adverts?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Blame Canada ! Blame Canada !

Sorry, carry on. Just having a little South Park moment.....

Blame Canada, blame Canada

We need to form a full assault

It's Canada's fault

;-)

4. not.known@this.address
    Holmes

retroactive lawmaking at it's finest.

Wasn't there some sort of protection against being prosecuted if there was clear evidence that the law you "broke" was invented *after* you committed your crime?

Or do the (literally) "Get Out Of Jail Free" rules only apply if you are a politician or a Big Business?

1. Ochib

Re: retroactive lawmaking at it's finest.

There is, however the company were given notice that the law was changing and that to compile with the new law they would need to change how they processed data. They didn't change and thus were charged with breaching the new law

It's is bit like the speed limits on a road changing from 30 mph to 20 mph, you would have seen the new signs going up and if you still drive at 30 mph you will be taken to court.

2. jaywin

Re: retroactive lawmaking at it's finest.

Wasn't there some sort of protection against being prosecuted if there was clear evidence that the law you "broke" was invented *after* you committed your crime?

Yeah, it's called "not carrying on committing the crime". Tricky to comply with I know, especially when you're only given a couple of years warning it's going to become illegal.

5. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Aha!

Finally the ICO have managed to find a firm that nobody in the UK cares about and who are probably as guilty as sin but have enough money to make a GDPR point which will potentially get some cash for the UK Gov lawyers ... err ... coffers.

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"AggregateIQ has never been and is not a part of Cambridge Analytica"

Of course not, we get it.

You're a different scum.

7. Crisp

Democracy is being sold cheap these days.

Only a £20 million fine, and even then that's only a possible fine.

With no real deterrent in place, the people funding this will just see it as the cost of doing business.

8. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

Definitely not politically motivated

No, definitely not. Not choosing an easy target few people care about, rather than companies blatantly breaking GDPR such as Facebook, numerous media outlets, and dating sites.

9. gbru2606

Labour Party breach

My partner recently received a letter from the Labour Party inviting her to register for a postal vote. She phoned the local office and asked where they got her details - to which they replied the Open Register. She stated that she wasn't on the Open Register but contacted the Council anyway to check and they concurred that she's not on the public register. She's deliberating what to do next. I'm a Party member, but this really gets on my nerves. A key Labour strategy is to push up the numbers of people to vote by post because the higher the turnout - the better Labour do. Why they're not using an up-to-date Open Register is utterly beyond me.

1. Giovani Tapini

Re: Labour Party breach

Can't claim to be working for the working classes while spaffing cash at local authorities for updated datasets can they? Sounds a bit middle class and profligate.

You may assume they look at the mailing preference service data too, although I keep getting told what assumptions make me :)

I admit to being ignorant of most political party mechanics but I would suggest this is a local group operating with "volunteers" who really have no idea and are just doing as they are told from higher up.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like