back to article Archive.org's Wayback Machine is legit legal evidence, US appeals court judges rule

The Wayback Machine's archive of webpages is legitimate evidence that may be used in litigation, a US appeals court has decided. The second circuit ruling [PDF] supports a similar one from the third circuit – and, taken together, the decisions could pave the way for the Internet Archive's library of webpages to be considered …

1. ShortStuff

Wait til George Soros or his cronies acquires archive.org ... the world's going down boys. Fake News ... meet Fake Evidence.

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Explain to me please, why you think being owned specifically by George Soros would make something more likely to be faked.

Is it possibly because you disagree with the man's political beliefs, so wish to smear him?

Personally, I've seen no evidence, or even serious suggestion, that he is involved in any fake news sites, for instance. I'm not sure I can say the same for those who oppose his political views.

3. anothercynic Silver badge

@Loyal Commenter, it's a play on the 'alt-right' who believe George Soros is behind all fake news...

4. Geekpride

Sensible ruling

It seems to me that the Internet Archive is basically taking timestamped photographs of the internet. Its primary aim isn't use in trials, but it's something that may be useful as evidence. If a crime was committed in meatspace and someone had a timestamped photo that supported (or refuted) the prosecution case, it would make sense to allow it to be used as evidence unless there was reason to think it had been faked.

5. Charles Calthrop

" For instance, if you want to see what The Register looked like in 1998, go right ahead."

archaic design even by early 1990s standards*, great puns, headlines about stuff I don't underst oh wait i haven't clicked that link yet

*I actually like the way you have ignored 20 years of web 'design'

6. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

RE: I actually like the way you have ignored 20 years of web 'design'

A chap I knew made a fair amount of money selling Supra 1200/2400 modems. He used to have adverts in the computer press which he'd just throw together. After a while he got a professional designer to do a proper job. Sales plummeted.

"If it ain't broke don't fix it"

F. Flintstone Senior (1000BCE)

7. fpacker

Amazing. 20 years of Samsung DRAM price fixing

Any notice that article on the DRAM business.See how much whopping amounts of RAM PCs come with these days, 32MB and some even 64MB. It sort of marks the begining of the DRAM cartel. And look at how fast the page loads without all that tracking script.

8. Danny 2 Silver badge

Lost in time

Nothing good has happened in the past twenty years. I'm not one of those UKippers who want to return to the 1950s, but the 1990s were okay. Where is this 'way back machine' and how do I use it to get back?

9. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Boffin

Maybe HTML6

can include a simple checksum for a webpages static content ?

10. NonSSL-Login
    Holmes

Integrity is not guaranteed but could be

Hash of the page made (with a decent hashing standard to avoid collisions) as soon as it's mirrored and that hash stored in a blockchain or another tamper proof method, then it can be trusted a lot more.

All it takes is for one vulnerability or a determined hacker to phish their way in to their systems and modify some content and the trust is all gone. It's no good saying the files or disk is read only when someone can change the links and results to point to their own created content instead.

Archive.org is far from perfect as evidence as it stands imo. It could be made better for evidence integrity but as long as they continue to do the great job they started out to do, that should be their main focus.

11. dkittrell8801

Implications for Records Management and Governance

If the WBM contents are to be considered legal records what, if any, implications are there for records management rule and procedures (not just accession but also retention and disposition of live and backup data)? And similar questions about information governance, particularly if the data is gathered or used internationally (as one example, GDPR compliance and European/UK privacy rules for older data collected but used in current or future matters)?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018