back to article Windows 0-day pops up out of nowhere Twitter

It's not a vulnerability bad enough to force Microsoft to release an out-of-cycle patch – however, CERT/CC has just put out an alert over a newly disclosed privilege escalation bug in Windows. According to the tweet that set the hounds running, it's a zero-day with a proof-of-concept over on GitHub: Here is the alpc bug as …

Page:

1. Waseem Alkurdi Silver badge
      Joke

"won't fix"

That's Lennart Poettering, not Microsoft ... but the difference is little to none anyhow ...

“The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.” - George Orwell

1. Mike Shepherd
    Meh

Proactively

It looks like Microsoft have a new definition of "proactively". Perhaps it's just another warm and cuddly word fetched from the shelf when trying to give a good impression, without much regard to the meaning.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not a problem for me

I'm still running Windows XP so these bugs are not a big dea^&&F V!@#~+_?> 4568 NO CARRIER

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Re: Not a problem for me

NO CARRIER you say? HMS Queen Elizabeth II and HMS Prince of Wales still run XP :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Unless they get a "torpedo upgrade".

1. bpfh Bronze badge

Won't a torpedo upgrade create a new security hole?

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Such an "upgrade" might fix an OPEX hole in the Navy budget though.

3. dmacleo

gpo help?

would using (on domain) the prohibit new task creation template possibly mitigate this a bit?

if off domain no idea if template exists.

have not messed around with it so no idea if useful or not.

1. Waseem Alkurdi Silver badge

Re: gpo help?

As far as I can see, that helps.

But I'd remove the whole Task Scheduler service if I were you.

1. bpfh Bronze badge

And half a ton of other services that I do have some diffuculty understanding their reason for being, at least on a home PC...

2. LewisRage

> remove the whole Task Scheduler service

That's a terrible idea.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>> remove the whole Task Scheduler service

> That's a terrible idea.

Not a terrible idea, but it's impossible to disable Task Scheduler service from Windows 7 up to Windows 10.

Tried it on XP and it can still be DISABLED on that old OS.

1. LDS Silver badge

It's a terrible idea because some maintenance tasks has been moved there instead of having always-running services. It became good practice also to use it i.e. for application updates checks instead of installing services that do only that and waste resources.

2. Tom Paine Silver badge
          Stop

Remember the Bill Hicks bit about the annoying kid on the plane, who gets out of his seat and starts flipping at the cabin door emergency release? And the passenger next to Bill gets up to grab the kid, and Bill's, like, "Whoah - hold on a sec - we're about see someone learn a valuable lesson... "

I turned on all the auditing options NT4 provided, not long after I first got it (my first ever real OS, a few months before attempting to set up dual boot Linux for the first time.) THAT was interesting, and a lesson learned.

4. The Empress

Who gives a shit anymore

Windows is fucked. The end

1. Mellipop

Re: Who gives a shit anymore

Oh don't say that. I bought a new W10 tablet last week.

I'm gonna cry.

Stopped now. Just realised I ordered a Pi3b to use as a dev server with my Chromebook.

Anyone want to buy an Alcatel 12+2 with a known 0day hole?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Who gives a shit anymore

with a known 0day hole

Only 1? I'll have it!

5. Maelstorm Bronze badge
    Joke

Microsoft's *REAL* Response

That Microsoft Guy:

You are all mistaken. What is referred to as the ALPC bug is actually an obfuscated feature that we put in at the request of the NSA. It allows a user to gain system level privileges without having the the password to the Administrator account. It is to be used by users to perform admin tasks on the machine without actually bothering the admin. Eventually, we plan on expanding this feature so that the end users will be able to administer the networks they are connected to without needing a password. Therefore, lazy system administrators will be rendered redundant and can be laid off saving the company the unneeded expense of paying a dedicated person to administer the network.

So what can possibly go wrong?

6. Kev99 Bronze badge

You'd think that after decades of windows coding the idiots in Redmond would know how to NOT introduce vulnerabilities into their products. Either that, or they just don't give a rat's rear.

1. Jack of Shadows Silver badge

With each version of the Linux kernel turning up with thousands of bugs/vulnerabilities each year (not my figures either), what's the average user supposed to do? Windows is worse, but not by all that much.

1. Vocational Vagabond
        Trollface

Ah but ... with a linux bug, no NDA is required for remedy, so it can be seen by all, and actioned after a peer reviewed pull request.... Can't do that in windows land, but then community spirit is a paid thing there, I'd wager.

7. J J Carter Silver badge
    Windows

However, in a well run shop...

Exchange online protection safe attachment will drop this from an incoming email.

Applocker will prevent unsigned code being run by the user from USB

8. MCMLXV
    Headmaster

A bit late to the fray, but...

Could somebody please tell me what the fuck "proactively update impacted advices" means?

Oh, and while I'm here... @steamnut: learn the difference between "affects" and "effects".

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not allowed to

Discover a new CPU flaw, in chips ranging from low end Core i3 to high end Core i8, and call it "MAINSTRIKE" because SPECTRE was taken already.

Pretty nasty issue which can allow Ring 0 ownage from any open port, including: headphones, USB, those horrible little connectors on the motherboard, the speaker pins, microphone, video port (VGA through to HDCP), drive connector, BIOS battery, power supply control (green wire), CPU core regulator feedback, CPU temperature sensor...

You'd have to literally flash a custom scratch built (ie no keychain) BIOS for mitigation and even then there would be no guarantee apart from assume you've been owned six ways from Sunday and pray. Hard.

(apologies to Ian Fleming)

10. Anonymou5 Coward
    Linux

"Proactively" after POC was posted?

1. Tom Paine Silver badge
      Facepalm

Right, because they should have fixed it before they knew about it.

11. Rob E
    Trollface

Sorry to be a pedant but

When M$ says “proactively update impacted advices as soon as possible.”, presumably they actually mean "Reactively update impacted devices"

12. wallyhall

Is this why MS bought GitHub?

I’m just wondering - maybe so they could control such github accounts?!

Saves a bit of face!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019