back to article Time to party like it's 2005! Palm is coming BAAAA-ACK

Of all the intellectual property rights on which our future prosperity depends, perhaps trademarks are the most undervalued. The deep emotional power of a brand endures, long after its parent has expired. Don't believe me? Well, Palm is coming back. Yes, Palm. Two filings made with regulatory authorities in the US confirm …

Re: Bah!

this thin handspring was my favourite 'palm pilot'!

http://www.idsa.org/awards/idea/computer-equipment/handspring-visor-edge

I also had the cellphone module, so was able to use it as a smartphone.

(before that, used my panasonic gd93 as in infra-red modem!)

My first Palm III was in Nov '99 and it was the one in the translucent green body!

fantastic times.

bizarrely, I never took to the Palm Pre and much preferred my O2 XDA / HTC Wizard WinMo handset.

Re: Bah!

Amen, Scrooge!

Silver badge

Awesome! I love Palm!

"Well, Palm is coming back. Yes, Palm."

Yay!

"Two filings made with regulatory authorities in the US confirm that the brand, licensed by Chinese giant TCL in 2015, will appear on an Android phone very soon"

Oh, so Palm isn't really coming back, then.

Silver badge

Re: Awesome! I love Palm!

PalmOS emulation is in existence. But I don't know if it will be included in these devices.

Silver badge

Re: Awesome! I love Palm!

Yes, but that's a far cry from Palm coming back.

Silver badge

I'm considering....

....a indexing system for a library that is on small cards that you then put in draws. You can have a wooden cabinet full of these draws*

You can then get some Ghostbusters to come a long and clean up the goo off them.

*Actually had that system back in my old school in the 80s. I loved it. For some reason I still want a set.

Silver badge

Palm were crap, but they were all we had

I had a ton of them, starting with the III, and ending with the Tungsten T|X. I had over a dozen. I had several Zires and Tungstens and they died quite often and Palm sent me replacements.

First off, they had resistive touchscreens that required frequent calibration. I remember the surprise when I got my first smartphone and the capacitive screen never needed a calibration. You went through a process of "touch here. and here. and here."

Second off, the touchscreens had a mildly stretchy material, so if you did the same motions over and over again (such as playing solitaire) it destroyed the calibration. You ended up having to touch calibration points that it considered off screen, so the calibration process failed.

The black & white screens were awesome, as you could read them in the brightest sunlight. In fact, the brighter the light, the better the contrast.

The color screens were SHIT. They washed out in anything brighter than candlelight and made it useless outside or in a bright grocery store.

I did write a bunch of apps however, including a financial app that I ported to Android along with the data, meaning I have electronic checkbook records going back unbroken to 1993. That's nice.

I consider my Android phone my always-connected PDA, as I sure as hell don't make or answer calls on it.

This post has been deleted by its author

That's not really coming back...

For a moment I was hoping that they'd launch a whole new product line, and thus would be somewhat competing against Android. Wishful thinking, sure, but running on top of Android is not something I'd describe as "coming back", it's not as in the old days where you could chose between a Palm or iPaq for example.

With all due respect for Android but I really think it could use a bit more competition than it has now (which is basically none at all anymore).

I really loved my Palm devices, one of my fav all time phones was the Treo 600!

There's only one way I would touch it.

If Palm would actually implement BeOS like they should have in in 2002.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/01/15/palm_scuppers_beos_coop_hopes/

Pint

I went through the following over the years:

Palm III

Palm IIIC - Clearance item in Staples somewhere in Cornwall 50 quid IIRC.

Tungsten T\T2 - Not sure if I bought another one due to upgrade or & then droppage.

Tapwave Zodiac II - Personal favorite of which I bought several (Dixons\PC World clearance & Two'fers from US) for myself, backup units & for the kids.

Metal construction, 2 SD slots & brilliant for inflight movies (A few shoulder surfers on one flight).

Frequently seen & used in defeating Apophis etc by SG1 in Stargate:SG1.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/sci-fi-gadgets-that-are-real/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapwave_Zodiac

Silver badge

Veer

I really would like a new version of the Veer. With the use of phones as 2FA and Android Pay, I'd like a small second phone to use for those jobs and in emergency so when the main one gets stolen it won't be a disaster.

The Veer was tiny, it had a 2.4 inch screen running webOS, a slide out keyboard, a magnetic connector with a magnetic headphone jack so that accidentally yanking on the lead didn't cause damage. From the back it looked like a large river pebble. A modern version could fit an iPhone 4 screen into the form factor. 16G, 2G RAM, NFC, BT, wireless charging, mobile hotspot, slide out keyboard that also answers and ends calls, no need for GPS or expansion, no front camera, job done.

However, I suspect the actual product will be a small, cheap rectangular slab with no keyboard and low spec parts and the only Palm-like thing about it will be the logo.

I loved my Palms

I had a V (company) and V3E of my own later And I loved them, However my phone does everything the palm did.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018