back to article Up in arms! Arm kills off its anti-RISC-V smear site after own staff revolt

Arm has taken offline its website attacking rival processor architecture RISC-V within days of it going live – after its own staff objected to the underhand tactic. The site – riscv-basics.com – was created at the end of June, and attempted to smear open-source RISC-V, listing five reasons why Arm cores are a better choice …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Only ugly bed-wetting pansies use RISC-V

"We all say so, so it must be true"

(Kipling: Jungle Book: Kaa's Hunting: Bandar Log)

1. Guillermo Lo Coco

where are the linux gpu drivers ?

"One thing to clear up immediately is we absolutely did not want to give the impression we were attacking open source as we are highly committed supporters of open source communities in many different areas."

I dont know, if cry or laught.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: where are the linux gpu drivers ?

Notice how it is always the fault of the impressed, never the impresser.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sure it is not US NIH?

Many people could create their own processor (on an FPGA) and configure GCC to compile C for it.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All publicity is good publicity.

How about a follow up article? It would be interesting to know if RiscV compilers are as well optimised yet.

How will RiscV avoid fragmentation of the instruction set, i.e. same op-codes having different implementations?

Can they adopt a standard like UEFI so an OS can be compiled once to boot on all capable RiscV devices?

How soon before RaspVian + RaspVpie?

1. Bruce Hoult

Re: All publicity is good publicity.

RISC-V compilers are certainly newer and less optimised than ARM ones.

Despite this, SiFive's new E20 and E21 cores outperform ARM's Cortex-M0+ and Coptex-M4 on a Dhrystone MIPS/MHz and Coremarks/MHz basis, when both are compiled with gcc.

https://hackadaycom.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/coremarks.png

The ARM chips benchmark higher than the SiFive ones when using the IAD compiler. IAD has promised a beta of a RISC-V compiler for around the end of the year.

The RISC-V standard suggests that all but the very smallest RISC-V systems should include a "device tree" description of themselves in an onboard ROM.

The Raspberry Pi and other similar boards use obsolete SoCs that have already shipped in the millions in phones or other devices. For example the Odroid XU4 uses the same Samsung Exynos 5422 SoC as was in the Galaxy S5 phone. The Odroid C2 uses an Amlogic S905 SoC that was designed for set-top boxes. (I highly recommend both these boards over Raspberry Pi btw if you do want a high performance ARM board at a good price)

As RISC-V is new, it will be a while before there are obsolete SoCs that have already had their costs amortised in consumer products. What you have now in the Sifive HiFive1 ($59 320 MHz Arduino-compatable) and HiFive Unleashed ($999 quad core 1.5 GHz Linux board) are development boards aimed at professional engineers to evaluate the technology and prototype their software and products before they get their own hardware made. While $999 is expensive compared to a Pi or Odroid it's a drop in the bucket if you're paying an engineer $100k+ to work with it. Not to mention that the HiFive Unleashed has a lot of expensive stuff on it ... the 8 GB of DDR4 costs a lot more all by itself than the the Pi or Odroid (which have 1 or 2 GB of DDR3) retail for.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: All publicity is good publicity.

The key point of Risc-V is that it has a core ISA + set of standard extensions which are guaranteed not to change and are sufficient for standard programming, OS etc. Thus assuming implementations include the standard base config the things like OSes will run and standard compilers will gernerate code for the core. If people want to add extensions to the ISA then they can add their own instructions for their application domain and can run code using those on their cores.

So code (including OS) can definitely be compiled to run on any RiscV core but "efficiient" applications using extensions to the ISA for a particular application maybe limited to certain cores.

4. eldakka

I think RISC-V will become interesting when there is a Raspberry Pi or like product/priced version readily available for use in 'home' projects - pi-holes, automation, etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There's one already

https://www.sifive.com/products/hifive1

5. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Why has it taken so long?

It's obviously not beyond the resources of an Apple or Samsung to design their own RISC cpu.

The real clever stuff comes in the process design which, at least on the higher end parts, you need to do yourself.

With opensource compilers the tool chain and so the experienced developers are there for you.

I always assumed it was that if you were an Apple or Samsung the royalties to ARM dropped to teh point where they were just less than creating your own architecture

1. Christian Berger

Well it's not that easy

Both Samsung and Apple depend on instruction set architectures. So whatever they do they need to be able to run ARM-code.

So they can't make it ARM compatible as ARM would sue, and they couldn't make an emulator, since ARM would sue.

The hope is that Risc-V might become important enough that Application developers see it as important enough to compile their software for it. Yes, Android can use Java, but none, but the most trivial apps can work without additional native blobs.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why has it taken so long?

I think, with no data to back it up other than hearsay, that the ARM business model was broadly to say quite reasonably 'you design te silicon we design the architecture and then, your hardware is compatible with 3rd party software..'

I,e it was open source Wintel emulation in terms of business model Unless CPU chip architecture is your thing, open source lets you get on with spending money on better silicon and not having to worry about software support. Just as banging in an INTEL chip meant it could run windows...and running windows meant access to a huge base of software.

And ARM were not greedy.

So I am surprised not that it has taken so long, but that it has happened at all.

Do we actually need ANOTHER chip architecture?

Obviously these people think we do.

6. John Savard

Not Shocked

I thought they were just legitimately pointing out the potential drawbacks of their competition, just as Intel has done in some of its advertising. After all, the consumer still makes the ultimate decision.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

>> the consumer still makes the ultimate decision.

This is not about the bigger/fatter ARM cores (at least not yet). Those are where the larger ecosystems matter.

These are about the smaller arm cores, which mostly run proprietary code, that consumers never see or touch. Your DECT phone, wifi, usb dongle, and so on. Clocked say no more than 300 MHz if that.

As the code is proprietary and likely mostly written in a higher level language and therefore reasonbale portable, a switch of compiler is far more feasible here and is the market where arm made themselves - well before smartphones and SBCs came along.

So if RISC-V offers a compiler and enough performance, the switch is controlled and internal to the development teams involved.

Hence why ARM is panicking. RISC-V does not have to the best, it just needs to be able to do a reasonable job that justifies the cost difference and lowers the overheads per device which is the ARM licence model. It's like capex vs opex.

I suspect ARM will be revising their license model for the cortex M range if (when?) RISC-V takes off for this market.

8. MT Field

Nothing to stop ARM from adopting Risc-V is there? Apart from the usual commercial considerations.

9. Flakk
    Headmaster

On security: Arm cores suffer from Spectre and Meltdown flaws

Technically, this isn't true. Not all Arm cores suffer from Spectre and Meltdown flaws, such as the A53 cores used in Raspberry Pi 3.

10. dmcq
    FAIL

Don't advertise malware writers

Could I ask the f*?!#$%s at The Register not to advertise people who threaten to spread malware. It might be okay to say in general that someone talked about it but this article gave a name.

11. YARR

My prediction if RiscV has significant market impact...

Expect OpenARM (TM) welcoming you back with open arms.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like