back to article Chrome sends old Macs on permanent Safari: Browser bricks itself

Apple fans who still run macOS Mavericks and earlier on their computers won't be able to run Google's Chrome browser any more. Reg readers tell us that their copies of Chrome have automatically updated to a version of the browser that requires macOS 10.10 (aka Yosemite), meaning anyone running 10.9 Mavericks and below can no …

Page:

1. SamX

Chrome is memory hog

I am still on Mavericks with 8GB RAM and looking forward to an upgrade soon. But I switched to Firefox long, long ago. My observation: (1) Safari uses the most momory efficient in Macs, but some websites don't work properly. (2) FF uses more memory than Safari, but compatibility is much better after v57+. (3) Chrome was great at first, but later became a memory hog and even buggy. Also, they started disliking adblockers (understandably) and kicked them out of Chrome marketplace.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The auto-update nonsense must stop immediately

Doesn't matter if it's a driver, operating system or browser.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The auto-update nonsense must stop immediately

Would be nicer if you could at least opt to take security patches and ignore UI thrashery..

3. Zippy's Sausage Factory
    Trollface

So...

...are they going to use the time they save not supporting Maverick to make sure Chrome works properly on High Sierra then?

It regularly seizes, says "connection interrupted" or otherwise falls over for me.

(Before you ask Vivaldi, Firefox, Pale Moon, Safari are all working fine. And yes, I know Vivaldi is based on Chrome...)

4. /dev/null

Switched to Safari

I switched to Safari on my MacBook some time ago after I got pissed off at the main Chrome process (not one of the worker processes) persistently burning lots of CPU time for no good reason. Conveniently, I found a script to reopen current Chrome tabs in Safari, which avoided manually recreating the dozens of tabs over half-a-dozen windows I perpetually have open :-). Only things I really miss are favicons and being able to pin tabs in one window only (not in every window as Safari does).

5. Grant Fromage
    Pint

Older apple products used to run very hot too.

Toshiba Pentium 4 D - You could fry eggs on it, it ran so hot it could've started a fire.

Around 2002-3 amongst other jobs was working In a small tv studio in the soho warren, the director was also a graphic artist and had a mac laptop where the back was a heatsink with some whizzy power pc core. (Itanium?? pls correct if misremembered)

He`d put it down on a plastic bag from shopping in Oxford St and it laminated itself to it when he was trying animations of logo`s. I went in a break and got an iced lolly and used the wooden stick suitably whittled to scrape the mess off without damage to the shiny shiny precious artifact.

Beer sign because I earned the couple I was bought as reward. A carrier stuck to a mac doesn`t sound like shit to a blanket, but it was far worse.

6. Jeffrey Nonken

A shame. My 2006 MacBook still works, even though it's a bit creaky. I hesitate to upgrade past Snow Leopard due to performance. But it works.

It's not like I refuse to upgrade. I just bought an Acer Predator Helios 300 and passed along a nearly new Nitro 5 to my daughter. But I hate to throw working hardware away.

Maybe I can get a couple quid for it on eBay.

7. chivo243 Silver badge
    Meh

Still works 10.6.8?

Stuck at v. 49.0.yada

This computer will no longer receive googly updates because Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7, 10.8 are no longer supported - ?? Will Chrome still work even though there are no updates to bork it?

8. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Still works

Mac OS X 10.4.11 with Safari 4.1.3 on an iBook G4 reporting in.

I never bought into the Chrome Kool-Aide. Although I doubt it would ever have run on this processor anyway.

Paris, because pretty old hardware by now.

9. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

I love my oldish MBP, but dread the day that Apple decides that it's not worthy of the next OS upgrade. That's the one major issue I do have with Apple: Planned obsolescence.

10. Kev99 Silver badge

Planned obsolescence or intentional breaching of warranty of merchantability? Or both? The latter used to be illegal in most states.

11. Unicornpiss
    Thumb Down

Here's a thought then..

..if it's not going to run, how about detecting the OS level and NOT updating! Or is that too complex a bit of programming?

12. nanchatte

Bricked? I think not.

Again, something is only bricked if it is rendered unusable without some serious hardware or firmware tinkerage or a return to the vendor.

Other things are merely broken.

13. Tid

This article is not accurate - Chrome only updates itself if you've set that Preference (which I haven't). Chrome still runs on my Mac running Mavericks, and is at v67, though I still get the daily warning that it's no longer supported.

As for Opera, you can download archive versions of it that will run on your OS. Ditto with Firefox. Only Safari and Chrome are the stern taskmasters that don't let you download past versions, so it's as well to keep your own archive of past versions should you ever need them.

1. FrankAlphaXII

Or you can download an old version from one of the third party download sites. I mean Google's already stealing and selling your information, so why not Malware-R-US too?

14. Trooper_ID

options

Could also try Yandex or TOR on Mac. Personally would never use chrome (or google) anyway

15. Tid

There's also iCab, which most users seem to have forgotten about - there are a few different versions which support Macs from High Sierra all the way back to System 7.5

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like