back to article Pointless US Congress net neutrality vote will take place tomorrow!

After weeks of teasing, Senate Democrats will finally take decisive action on bringing back net neutrality to America on Wednesday – by holding a pointless vote. "BREAKING," yelled Senator Ed Markey (D-MA) on Twitter. "The Senate's vote to save Net Neutrality will take place this Wednesday, May 16th. Keep raising your voices …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> "...but can we perhaps not have these almost bot-like posts of X party is better than Y party?"

I must disagree here. Many of the comments on this thread are actually suggesting that locally elected legislators should do their jobs, in opposition to calls for top-down control at the federal level we're usually treated to by the "botish" commentators.

It's quite different from what's been happening lately, and most refreshing. Further, the "we're better than you" tone (on all sides) is finally muted a bit. I'm seriously wondering if there's a sea-change going on.

1. ricegf

More of the Same

So the Democrats are running in the midterms on 2 main promises: "We'll impeach the president" and "We'll raise your taxes". Always popular slogans. 8-(

I wonder if the Republicans are funding the Democratic ads this time around? I certainly would!

2. Stevie

Bah!

Snarky article from someone who's parliament still has Outlawries Bill on the agenda.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Bah!

The Outlawries Bill is a mere nipper, only been around since 1727. The Select Vestries Bill of 1698, now, that has some legs.

3. IGnatius T Foobar

Neutrality done the wrong way

The "net neutrality" debate is silly, and the fact that it's become politically partisan is downright stupid.

All you have to do is mandate that anyone who supplies last-mile connections, must offer those last-mile connections as unbundled elements. When they did this with DSL in 1996 it was wonderfully successful; if you didn't like your ISP you could switch to another one who had access to the same wires.

Do this for fibre and coax, and all problems are immediately solved. And no partisan bickering either -- both Congress and the President could easily get behind it.

4. Alphebatical

"But even though everyone knows it won't pass, the fact that it only requires one additional vote to pass the Senate has led to seemingly endless commentary pieces on how it actually might pass because it only needs one vote."

Are there any senators that haven't said anything or taken a side? If there are, I highly suspect at least one found out that there were already fifty votes and is keeping quiet in order to be the Big Damn Hero. After all, people might like heroes who never let the evil reach the city, but they love and remember the ones who stop it at the gates.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Enough...

I don't know about all of you folks, but I know that I've had enough of Kieren McCarthy!

Even for a British news outlet, where I already expect a healthy amount of snark with any coverage of the U.S. political system--but somehow he manages to take the level of smugness far beyond anything I ever thought was possible!

I realize that someone has to cover those stories, but could El Reg please find someone that's less misanthropic or annoying to read?!

I'd honestly rather read the news, as delivered by Bombastic Bob! Yup--he's that annoying! Mind you, it takes a lot for me to be willing to subject myself to the word salad, of a troll in a tinfoil hat, rather than deal with Kieran's incessant whining, and nay-saying!

6. robert lindsay
    Megaphone

While I agree that the vote is pointless, it's not exactly new either. The reubs had 35 or so votes against obamacare while they we out of power. And it's certainly possible the dems retake the house, rollcall seems to think so, so they can certainly impeach trump, convict? no possible way. Meanwhile the telco get their winfall...

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like