back to article How could the Facebook data slurping scandal get worse? Glad you asked

Yet another rogue Facebook app that gathered and sold "intimate" details on millions of users has come to light. A report from New Scientist finds that the myPersonality app had collected and shared the personal information for as many as three million users who had installed the app on their Facebook profile. The data has …

Silver badge

Re: Quality of the data

"That's why I use Facebook."

Well, I have to give you credit for at least being honest about why you don't mind furthering the interests of a horrible, corrosive company like Facebook. As long as you get yours, I guess.

Re: Quality of the data

Have you forgotten that the whole CA scandal blew up because it was the whole "yes, please slurp my friends' data as well and, no, don't bother getting their permission, it's okay, they won't mind" that upset people, not the idea of people voluntarily giving up their own data?

Silver badge

hooverbook - proudly sucking up your data

Big Brother

Basically what Facebook is doing ...

...is a China-style crackdown, emphasizing that nobody, and absolutely NOBODY but they themselves gets to spy on their citizens.

The irony of their position is scorching.

Facefail and not being a product

It is oddly difficult to not use social media. I deleted my facething just before the Cambridge Analytica thing hit the mainstream. But, here at work, they are saying that social media is an excellent way of staying in touch with the users and we should be expanding it's use. Are they going to hoover up all the intellectual property of said university? Am I going to have to reactivate my facething just so I can tell a user that I have patched their server, or rather that puppet has.

Does that make me a sheeple?

Also, no one seems to be getting exercised about what Google is doing with all the data that people hand over to them.

I know that I don't have the answers I just hope that cleverer people than me come up with some.

Re: Facefail and not being a product

A lot of people think I'm strange because I don't use LinkedIn. I remind them that they jizzed out millions of user details because they didn't think to sanitise their user inputs.

They don't care.

If they don't care about sheer incompetent oafs, why would they care about competent baddies?

Silver badge

"It is oddly difficult to not use social media."

I dunno, I find it really easy. There are a multitude of other ways to keep people informed.

Silver badge

Which no one else uses, you start to find. If it eventually becomes a matter of "work or don't work," do you cut off your bread supply to spite Facebook?

Anonymous Coward

The terms of service state something along the lines of “All your postings are belong to us“.

That and the lack of a downvote/dislike/disagree option always put me off. The suppression of dissent at Facebook’s core, which makes it unsuitable for any real interaction. This totalitarian “you may only agree”, the hijacking of any and all posts and pages for commercial purposes, manipulating the feed so I actually DON’T get to see what my firends are up to, but instead get another ad for some exploitative corporation trying to sell me a climate killer machine, whole swathes of the population being used as guineapigs for mad scientist style social experiments, and the fact the whole damn site looks like something out of a horror movie featuring Windows Vista have made it unsuitable for human consumption. But hey, drivethroughs are also popular.

Anonymous because these days we even need to hide our secondary made-up online identities from the Borg.

Silver badge

"Anonymous because these days we even need to hide our secondary made-up online identities from the Borg."

You only have one alternate identity? Why not dozens? One for each forum you interact with, even.

Silver badge

Because each one is simply secondary to each other, and they're getting pretty good at DE-anonymizing fake accounts using incidental details like clock times, IP addresses, etc. They crack one, they're already well on their way to getting the rest.

Silver badge

it may have violated Facebook’s policie

I don't think Facebook's policies have anything to do with anything.

The fact that Facebook gives developers a whole raft of tools that allow them to do these things is more pertinent.

Them washing their hands and saying the developer is at fault is hypocritical and probably meaningless if they were ever taken to court.

If you give someone the keys to the castle you can't say its not your fault when the drawbridge comes down because you told them not to open it.

Silver badge

This is by design

Ignoring all the bollocks coming out of Facebook towers about policies etc

Facebook have not become a multi billion $ organisation flogging adverts for toothpaste and whatever crap gets pushed to the screen.

They have made their money by selling data and access to the tools that allows data harvesting.

Their tick box defence of "its against our policies" is as useful as the "are you over 18, click yes to see tits click no to not see tits"

Its not a defence any more than a 14 year old is going to click "no" companies using data harvested from Facebook will have brought the tools with the tacit acknowledgement that they were going to harvest data and make financial gain from that.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: This is by design

Exactly. Facebook are almost acting like they've been hacked, but as you say, it's intentionally designed that way.

Anonymous Coward

developed by Cambridge University researchers

but I thought... I thought I heard...I thought I read... some strongly-worded statements from Cambridge University to the tune of "Cambridge Analytica - nothing to do with us, guv!"

Would they be so uninformed?! Or is it, perhaps, fake news?! No other option comes to my mind....

And WhatsApp

The change in the T&Cs for WhatsApp is another, typical Facebook cop out. Essentially it is used by loads of people, including minors (not the underground type) to communicate. Recently a pop-up appeared where you just ticked a box to say you were over 16. How in hells name are kids just going to stop using it. They will just tick the box as the shites at Facebook say, well you agreed and then continue to sell the data. I have zero confidence in Facebook to be doing what they claim and keeping the two separate. They should never have been allowed to buy WhatsApp in the first place. If you read the T&Cs then there is every chance that data is being used for profile matching with Facebook accounts.

They are simply the worst bunch of money-grubbing lying scroats there is, along with most of the similar Silicon Valley app-based outfits.

Anonymous Coward

facebook's doing allright

on the markets, anything goes.

FAIL

"We are currently investigating the app, and if myPersonality refuses to cooperate or fails our audit, we will ban it.”

That'll teach them!

Bronze badge

Security by design

The only way they will get me to Trust them with any data, is if all profiles are locked down by default, but that'll never happen and would never be free!

as a wiser man than i said "if you're not paying for a service, you (or your data) are the product"

Anonymous Coward

Re: Security by design

No, the WISEST man said, "You're the product, full stop. Whether you're paying our not. Because there's always someone above you paying more than you. Always a bigger fish. And because everyone does it to stay in business, jumping ship won't matter to anything."

Silver badge

The revelation comes as Facebook is trying to rehab its image in the wake of the Cambridge Analytica scandal.

Facebook doesn't need to go to rehab it needs a defibrillator.

"To date thousands of apps have been investigated and around 200 have been suspended — pending a thorough investigation into whether they did in fact misuse any data."

You gave them to tools to do it and they did it gladly

Hoe

I hate FB and wished it would die off but it won't and they will continue abusing peoples trust because most people don't give a damn! :/

Silver badge

No such thing as "anonymized" data

"The report notes that the app, developed by Cambridge University researchers, had advertised its data sharing as being anonymous"

Any time an organization is collecting data online about you and is claiming that it is anonymous or "anonymized", they're either mistaken or lying.

I wonder if during this review, some useful apps for breaking the FB walled garden will also mysteriously vanish?

Thanks for the post.....anybody mind sharing some knowledge on GDPR in detail???

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018