back to article 'Computer algo' blamed for 450k UK women failing to receive breast screening invite

Up to 270 women in the UK could have died of cancer due to a "computer algorithm failure" dating back to 2009 under the NHS' breast screening programme - British health secretary Jeremy Hunt said today. In a Parliamentary statement, Hunt said nearly half a million women between the age of 68 and 71 were not invited to their …

Page:

1. TheDoc

Is this really the root cause?

OK, so a faulty algo caused a bad problem. But why was there a faulty algo? Generally it's because of lack of testing. Why is there lack of testing? Generally because of lack of QA resources. And why is there a lack of QA resource? Outsourcing to the cheapest bidder because of some ideological ideals. If you do your IT on the cheap, it's not surprising that things go wrong.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hey Jeremy (Hunt)

Hows about a screening programme for the cancer that kills more people in the UK than any other now...

Namely, Prostate Cancer.

No? If No then why not? Men are second class citizens when it comes to NHS cancer screening.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hey Jeremy (Hunt)

it isn't that simple. As someone who lost their dad to prostate cancer and my dads brother had it and his first cousin had it, I'm at a higher risk. I go and get a PSA test done every few years (I'm 47) but they have a high chance of a false positive so they aren't given universally and currently there isn't really any other tests around although work is being done to improve this. Its NOTHING to do with men being second class citizen its purely a medical issue. Nothing to see here move along

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

recommended reading

"Weapons Of Math Destruction”, Cathy O’Neil. Cheesy title, but interesting read.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Important correction

This isn't pedantic, as it should set a lot of people's minds at rest, but this issue specifically affects women under NHS England. The issue didn't affect the "British" NHS and Hunt is not the "British" Health minister. Shona Robison, the Scottish Health Minister, has issued a statement to reassure Scottish patients that the issue does not affect NHS Scotland's systems.

I realise how this comment could be construed, but please just take it as a correction of some incorrect information.

1. Snowy Silver badge
      Megaphone

Re: Important correction

Another correction but one of omission rather than error, you can still get a breast screening after you are 70 just you have to ask rather than being automatically invited. (https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/breast-cancer-screening/faqs/)

5. rols

Web developers seem all too prone to this

The amount of websites that have been incorrectly coded to reject credit \ debit cards prior to the end of the month that the card is valid to is astonishing. Many just seem to check against the month number and totally disregard what day of the month it currently is.

6. cutterman

Yep, and about 1730 women between 68 and 71 who had a non-progressive cancer were spared an mastectomy, chemo and RT (which have their own morbidity and mortality, particularly in this age group).

So don't bring out you hankies yet folks. At a guesstimate, probably fractionally less women died as a result of this "faulty algorithm".

And yes, I am a surgeon dealing with breast cancer patients (among other things).

See https://www.healthwatch-uk.org/20-awards/award-lectures/66-2002-prof-michael-baum.html

1. Geoffrey W

Yep++. And if those 450K women had received their scans then your 1730 women would still have been spared, and you might have added a few more to their number and we could use our hankies for a better kind of crying. I have a horrible suspicion this was a cost cutting exercise and not a software fault (see my post below...you read it here first, folks...)

7. Tom Melly

WTF!?!

"There are a number of linked causes, [including] issues with the systems' IT and how ages are programmed into it," he said.

I'm struggling to work out how that's anything but vaguely technical, "it's really complicated", speak for a massive bit of incompetence by a programmer, irrespective of what sort of time-scales they were working on.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

shocking

When they suddenly had a 70% reduction in people having breast screening tests did no one think to question it?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Agile?

Probably not the sort of app where you ship the minimum viable product.

All theoretical as RIPE wouldn't OK drug treatment as not economically viable for women of that age

10. Toilet Duk

The plan is working then - defund it, watch it break down, people cry "something must be done", hand it to the private sector as the solution.

11. Geoffrey W

I wonder if this was a deliberate act rather than a fault. Trim a few of the edge cases, save a bit of money. There seems a bit of doubt about cancer testing for people at the top of the range and beyond, so they could, at a pinch, moralise about that. And where should the bottom edge be? 59? 61? You could console yourself abstractly about that. And money is saved so they can use that to save more lives immediately. I find it entirely plausible that something like that could happen in a huge bureaucracy, especially one under prolonged pressure from above to drive down costs. If only it wasn't for them meddling kids. Perhaps I'm becoming too cynical.

12. GIRZiM

What kind of monster calls their child 'Feremy'?

It's guaranteed to get them a kicking every day of their lives at school, resulting in the kind of twisted psyche capable of "At this stage it is unclear whether any delay in diagnosis would have resulted in any avoidable harm or death"

It never will be clear; Science isn't whatabouttery - you can't say what would have happened if you had done something else, only what did or (at a pinch) will happen after doing what you did/will do.

How is a mind capable of that kind of utterance allowed out on even day release, never mind to run a national/governmental service?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like