back to article The tech you're reading these words on – you have two Dundee uni boffins to thank for that

Every time you use a smartphone, glance at your smart watch, fire up a computer, watch TV or endure a PowerPoint presentation, you experience a little bit of Dundee. The flat-panel technology we use in modern devices wasn't invented by megacorps in Japan or Silicon Valley but by a pair of academics in Scotland's fourth-largest …

Page:

1. JDX Gold badge

I was going to say "how do you know I'm reading this on TFT?"

Since I could be on an old CRT... until I remembered you probably CAN tell exactly what I'm reading it on.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: I was going to say "how do you know I'm reading this on TFT?"

Definitely window size of browser. Not sure if total screen resolution is reported, but the technology of screen is not at all reported by the browser. They didn't envisage eInk (no animation and really you want to refresh entire page, not part) or mechanical pins for touch/blind(VERY slow) when deciding what browsers report. Even alt text is often useless.

A few folks using OLED (smaller screens but TFT too). Hardly ANYONE actual real LEDs (OLED are not proper LEDs), some CRTs still. I had an orange plasma transportable "laptop" once. The tech of choice for robust. Colour Plasma never really caught on for PCs/Laptops. Not many people using DLP (insane tech) projectors for web.

Most are using colour LCD TFT. OLED also uses TFT for the same reasons!

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge
        Happy

Re: I was going to say "how do you know I'm reading this on TFT?"

I'm sitting on my sofa, reading this on my wall, via a DLP projector. It runs at 1920x1280 so stick that to your TFT resolution assumptions! :-)

2. Jamie Jones Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Where's the thumbs up?

Brilliant article - it's times like these I wish we had the option to thumbs-up an article.... I'm sure you used to have such a facility, back in the day....

1. Alistair Dabbs

Re: Where's the thumbs up?

These days, a share on social media is good.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Re: Where's the thumbs up?

Ahhh, I would if I did, but I don't.

3. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Great Stuff

Excellent article. Very informative. Told me a lot I didn't know anything about.

4. Kev99 Silver badge

Fascinating. And all these years the Liquid Crystal Institute at Kent State University held the patents on LCDs. I wonder how the Scots got around them?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

This invention was for TFT - ie practical high resolution displays - not for the LCD mechanism.

Incidentally LCDs were invented in Hull (possibly the only place more glamorous than Dundee) and at RSRE

5. Pangasinan Philippines

So where were CRTs heading?

Back in '75 or '76 there was a commercial exhibition in Hong Kong showcasing the developments in CRT technology.

The Japanese companies were showing small (approx 5 inch) CRTs without the shadowmask, but instead had extra phosphor index stripes that registered the beam as it passed over.

The feedback pulses from the index stripes controlled an RGB switch so that the beam was correct for each of the three colours generated.

They were touted as the future for projection TVs with the extra brightness and reduced heat generated.

So without LCD we could still be using CRTs.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rate this article: 10 out of 10.

"With seven bar patterns per number, you only need 28 connections; add a few other things on the watch display and you still only come to around 50. "

Honourable mention surely needed here for charlieplexing, which allows creative use of circuit design to massively reduce the number of pins needed to control a display e.g. 10 pins for a 90-element display.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlieplexing

Other than that: which adverts do I have to click on to most effectively help fund more articles like this, and the Geek's Guide?

Sorry, 'social media likes' are not now (and have never been, and never will be) an option for some people.

7. Potemkine! Silver badge

Two remarks:

- Good ideas are built on other good ideas - they rarely come from nihil.

- European countries are not good at exploiting industrially and commercially their ideas. They've got plenty of ideas but others make money with them.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like