back to article There is no perceived IT generation gap: Young people really are thick

Blank faces abound. No, not all are blank: some are horrified, revolted even. What did I say? Security is swiftly called. The usual routine, I think, as a pair of uniformed bouncers slip unhurriedly into the open-plan office, fire doors swinging gently behind them. But no – they come to a halt several paces in front of me and …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Dime/Daim available much earlier than 1980's.

NLCSGRV,

Nope !!!

They were available early 70's at least and had a completely different name.

Remember that they were for sale in my local Newpaper Shop / Corner Shop [UK] somewhat North of Watford :).

[Might even had been branded as another company other than Marabou. i.e. licensed to someone else !!!???]

Cannot remember the name but they disappeared for a few years then came back as 'Dime' Bars.

They then got re-branded to 'Daim' probably to make production/distribution cheaper as they could be made with 1 wrapper/name and shipped to whichever country needed the stock.

1. ADRM

Re: Dime/Daim available much earlier than 1980's.

Was it a Swisskit? Would you risk it for a Swisskit?

1. Teiwaz

DIME Bar?

Nope - Didn't like the look of them - Brittle hard toffee/caramel with a thin coat of maybe-chocolate....?

I encountered Highland toffee bars long before trendy Dime...

Give me a Star Bar anyday - chocolate and caramel sleeve you could cunningly eat away to reveal yummy biscuity mash that had had the appearance not unlike a freshly delivered turd.

Leave that on the floor of the toilets and cause a school hygiene crisis for a half day off.

1. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
        Coat

Re: DIME Bar?

...there's a scene in Caddyshack with a Butterfinger bar in the swimming pool...

1. werdsmith Silver badge

I'll raise you a Mint Cracknell, some Pacers and a dentist-enriching packet of old english spangles.

1. Pen-y-gors

a dentist-enriching packet of old english spangles.

Oh god, happy memories!

2. P. Lee

How about a 7p pack of polos?

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"How about a 7p pack of polos?"

That's inflation then - nearly 1/5d in real money. They were tuppence in 1950 (1p).

2. Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?

"Do you remember your first dime?"

Ironically no, however I do know that my kids give me an odd look whenever I state that any food which is soft on the outside and hard on the inside is a surprising alternative to armadillos....

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

You might have an answer to online age verification... the user is presented with an advertising jungle from the 90s and has to name the correct product to proceed. A similar system using the theme music to cartoons might also work.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"the user is presented with an advertising jungle from the 90s and has to name the correct product to proceed""

I stopped watching commercial TV before 1990. An advertising impact study once asked me about a TV advert. I could remember the rather wooden public figure delivering the product endorsement - but couldn't remember which company it was for.

1. Lee D Silver badge

"I stopped watching commercial TV before 1990. An advertising impact study once asked me about a TV advert. I could remember the rather wooden public figure delivering the product endorsement - but couldn't remember which company it was for."

They stopped running the "easily-turn-off-and-on-able" ads because everyone thought they were for British Gas, I think.

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

@AC

I could remember the rather wooden public figure delivering the product endorsement - but couldn't remember which company it was for.

Sir Robert Mark? "I'm convinced they're a major contribution to road safety

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_2RLAIjroE

Alternatively...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE15EtuA6Z8

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"advertising jungle from the 90s"

.... that must be Um-bongo then (though that was probably more 80s than 90s)

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"You might have an answer to online age verification... the user is presented with an advertising jungle from the 90s and has to name the correct product to proceed. A similar system using the theme music to cartoons might also work."

That's basically what "Leisure Suit Larry" used.

2. Haku

Two armadillos?

3. Franco

"Do you remember your first dime?"

No, I likes armadillos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqeGxMgVOHI

Also regarding Highland Toffee, it accounted for perhaps a quarter of my baby teeth. The rest were last to Wham Bars.

1. fluffybunnyuk
        Happy

Armadillo!!!!

2. Sarah Balfour

Fizzy Lizzies here (although I do find that, whenever I mention them, nobody but me can recall their existence) - and not baby teeth, either…

For those that don’t - likely everyone - they were sort of like a short, thick Wham bar with sherbet in the middle.

1. ActionBeard

I remember Fizzy Lizzies - they were a staple from the ice cream van that used to come round our street 2-3 times of an evening.

2. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
          Childcatcher

Sounds Like Swizzels Refreshers.

Still see them about in Ex-Pat stores here in Canada, original size & super long\large versions (Which I would have killed for as a kid).

https://swizzels.com/sweets/refreshers/

I used to like "Little Pals" a fruit gum scotty dog at a ha'penny each, then 1p then 2p, fortunately I moved to High School before the price could jump higher.

On a related note MacKintosh toffee (disappeared from my awareness in the late 60's early 70's) made a comeback, is freely available over here & tries to remove my teeth at a far cheaper & more pleasurable way than my dentist (Who is actually very very good, the worst part of my root canal was the initial injection).

4. DuncanL

Crunchy on the outside, smooth on the inside - armadillos!

5. Sarah Balfour

ARMADILLOS!

Crunchy on the outsoid an’ sarft in the middle - ARMADILLOS!

“You’re a bit thick, aren’t you…?” was a kind of meme round here for months (ah the days before social media, they were a simpler, gentler, kinder, more carefree time…).

6. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Do you remember your first dime?

Never had one, not sure what one is.

But Marathon Bars, Jiff, Wimpy Burgers, OMO, Chocolate Cigarettes, a sachet of salt in every bag of crisps, Sherbet Dips very possibly being a mix of Cocaine and Novichok, Walnut Whips with an edible filling, Wagon Wheels being bigger back then - Now you're talking.

1. big_D Silver badge

Texan bars at the cinema hall matinees.

1. hplasm
          Happy

Texan bars at the cinema hall matinees.

A last request, Seeenor?"

2. short a sandwich

Is it me or does it smell vaguely of boiled cabbage and urine in here?

1. Pen-y-gors

@short a sandwich

What's wrong with boiled cabbage?

1. Steve the Cynic

What's wrong with boiled cabbage?

Let's start with the last word of that sentence, which will suffice to tell you everything that's wrong with boiled cabbage: it's gdmf CABBAGE, ffs.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

it's gdmf CABBAGE, ffs.

No need to be sour about it

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Let's start with the last word of that sentence, which will suffice to tell you everything that's wrong with boiled cabbage: it's gdmf CABBAGE, ffs."

It's also the main ingredient in coleslaw and one of the veg overflowing from your kebab. The only problem with boiled cabbage is most people boil it to death.

2. Teiwaz

People can't tell the difference between boiled cabbage and stir-fryed with bacon and onion it's a sad lookout.

Today its steamed, or what did you buy that expensive trendy pot with a plug on it for anyway? It just sits in the cupboard.

3. Alistair
            Windows

@Pen-Y-gors:

Nowt wrong with boiled cabbage. Corned beef is bubbling away for tonight. Cabbage carrrots and taters to join it soon.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
              Coat

@Alistair

Corned beef is bubbling away for tonight. Cabbage carrrots and taters to join it soon.

to go on a roller-coaster adventure they were all destined for. They'll never be the same when they come out

2. Fungus Bob

"Is it me or does it smell vaguely of boiled cabbage and urine in here?"

No. You're the only one smelling vaguely of boiled cabbage and urine...

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Wagon Wheels being bigger back then"

This especially. The modern variety are Wheelbarrow Wheels.

7. TonyJ

Dime Bar...Harry Enfield..."Aaarrmmmadillo...crunchy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside...." :)

1. Spasticus Autisticus

Brilliant! I'm out fishing with a young person (17) today, he has no idea about anything. Too much fun sometimes.

1. ravenviz Silver badge

To be fair I’m not sure I had any clue at 17 either.

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Pint

@Spasticus Autisticus

I'm out fishing with a young person (17) today, he has no idea about anything.

First he finds out that there is no Santa Claus, and now he will find out that fish have no fingers.

Have a beer yourself. He'll have to wait until he is 18 (in the UK) to buy his own beer

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is self-defeating having to explain the King James Bible or Shakespearean quotes that are intended to portray some human condition.

Even kids who religiously go to Sunday services with their mothers seem unaware of many biblical parables that were stock fodder at 1950s Sunday School.

I've given up qualifying an apparently generous charitable donation with the figurative shrug of "it's not not The Widow's Mite".***

***although there is apparently some debate about the exact meaning of that parable.

1. big_D Silver badge

It is embarrassing, having to explain quotes from Cant, Goethe, Kleist, Schopenhauer, Kafka et al to young Germans...

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Thickies...

This how we get people choosing stuff like "our little life is rounded with a sleep" to advertise beds

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge
          Trollface

Re: Thickies...

This how we get people choosing stuff like "our little life is rounded with a sleep" to advertise beds

Perfect for Dr Kevorkian's Sleep-Tite™ range of beds.

2. Roj Blake Silver badge

re: Cant, Goethe, Kleist, Schopenhauer, Kafka et al

It's good to see Brian Cant listed amongst the greats like that.

3. GrumpenKraut
        Headmaster

> ...having to explain quotes from Cant,...

Kant. I found that using the full name "Immanuel Kant" is a somewhat "safer" choice at English speaking places 8-)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Having to explain things

I was stopped short yesterday when the chap I was talking to (in his 30's) didn't respond positively when I observed that the system he was using offered up more granularity than the previous one. I thought it was a compliment.

He said something else and basically asked me whether I thought it was better or not. I responded, again, saying that the added granularity makes it a lot more efficient.

He finally says 'look mate, I don't know what granularity means' - OH! I see now. So I say 'oh, it means more accurate I suppose'.

To which he replies - 'Stick with accurate then, I'm from Suffolk'

I couldn't help laughing (not in a cruel way).

1. ravenviz Silver badge

Re: Having to explain things

Re not knowing what granularity is, at least he ‘fessed up!

2. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: Having to explain things

More precise, not more accurate.

Having more significant digits doesn't mean you can trust them equally.

2. John G Imrie
          Happy

Thank you

Now I have the Philosophers Song going through my head.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like