back to article Apple's magical quality engineering strikes again: You may want to hold off that macOS High Sierra update...

An increasing number of Mac loyalists are complaining that the latest desktop operating system update from Apple is killing their computers. The 10.13.4 update for macOS High Sierra is recommended for all users, and was emitted at the end of March promising to "improve stability, performance, and security of your Mac." macos …

I'm alright Jack!

Working fine on my late 2013 Mac Pro :)

Thumb Up

I'll just stick to System 7

Trollface

System 7...

...and the endless Extension conflict reboot dance.

Good times, good times.

...Cirdan...

(LinuxMint, baby, MATE)

Re: System 7...

Yes I remember too, Extension Manager was our friend.

Silver badge

It isn't just Apple. I naively updated to Google Earth Pro, except it ran like jerky custard and was pretty much unusable. Probably because this mid 2010 Macbook pro is one of those which has to use gfxCardstatus to keep it always on the internal graphics and not the dedicated graphics card or risk a kernel panic.

So, I tried to use Time Machine to roll things back but no dice. I had to dig about the website to find an install disk for the old version. Even then I would go to use it and find that despite telling it I did not wish to update to Pro there would be Pro sitting there instead. After several iterations I went into the Library and found squatting there like a toad a Pro update widget. It is now totally deleted and all is retro stable.

Apple keep saying I should update to High Sierra but it isn't that long since I bit the bullet and updated to Sierra so I'm in no hurry for another one. The system updates keep coming nevertheless. I'm not abandoned, yet.

Silver badge
Coat

Going to "Special Update Install Mode"

I knew this was going to happen at some point, whenever you start being f'd up and require a special mode to install updates you know the devs have forgotten they are developing software for a UNIX system, so sooner or later, shit will hit the fan.

Anytime a hardware manufacturer decides to solder RAM and SSD's, you know the hardware team are beyond salvation.

What is left at Apple ? I dunno ...

PS: I have ran Apple software from OS 8.5 (8.* and 9.* sucked, but not quite as much as Windows 9x) to 10.9 (including 10.0 Beta). I had fond memories of 10.2 with Omniweb, so upvoted commentard above. When fink and homebrew were not around, you would download Xcode and hunt down the UNIX software you wanted, shit, back then, we would download the Xfree86 sources and compile them to run UNIX gui apps on our macs ... how times have gone by.

Bronze badge

Re: Going to "Special Update Install Mode"

Used to be a PPC Mac was an incredible machine for running OSS.

Time Machine

If they used Time Machine to back up, it's a minor affair to restore to prior state.

I'm on 10.13.5 beta 2 and it's running OK for me. Rendering video takes an age...but it is a several year old mini mac.....and overall I can't complain.

I ran every 10.13.4 beta without issue on my Mid '14 13" rMBP. Currently running latest 10.13.5 beta, also without issue.

Bronze badge

Yes, Register gets it wrong

Like you said, you could be wrong. Again making some big deal about ‘secrecy’ in Apple. I remember with mainframe work when an update came, you’d print out the notes which would be several hundred pages, mainly for developers. Software moves much faster now, but most users have no interest in this stuff. Developers get it from other sources. Apple is secretive with information that other vendors can pick up because Apple has been severly burnt many times. So there is no case here.

Register then brings up that Apple secretly updated and rolled back the new file system during an update. Actually, this was the most comprehensive test in history. Apple showed a great deal of responsibility to take the care to do this. But Register puts on its usual anti-Apple spin.

And this story after I read the article about wireless charging that praised Samsung, even though Samsung seemed to have little to do with the story.

Register needs to get over its chip on the shoulder about Apple.

FAIL

These issues go back way before current build

I am glad to discover I am not the only one. Issues I have with my 15” 2017 MacBook Pro i7 512GB SSD:

1. Frequent app crashes, inc long list of fatal errors.

2. Sluggish login when connected to USB-C Thunderbolt hub

3. Trouble driving more than one external monitor. Monitors flicker on and off and on for ages before going to sleep or finally coming on.

4. Unreliable charging through USB hub with power thru port

5. Duet doesn’t work. I have an iPad Pro 10.5

A lot of the DisplayPort and sleep/wake issues I had with my Surface Pro 4 and previous MacBooks so I concluded after reading on Surface Pro 4 and Apple forums that most of the blame lies with Intel. There is a specific combination of their hardware that leads to these issues and neither Intel Microsoft or Apple appear to be dealing with them.

Silver badge

One basic problem found - maybe

Cautiously confident that at least one of the issues is solved - up to a point.

Mac Pro 2013.

Seems High Sierra 13.4 does not know how to go to sleep. To whit:

Re-installed. Immediately began a Time Machine backup and nothing else. Next time I looked the bastard had crashed.

Happened a second time.

Changed Energy Saver settings to keep the display awake longer and NOT to allow disks to sleep when display sleeps.

So far so good. First backup completed. Bloody miracle!

This did NOT solve the ridiculous install/update issues which again one time ended with a floating frigging question mark on the screen but the OS seems somehow - eventually - to complete the boot/install/update.

Now on to latest developer preview no. 2 of 13.5. Can't be any worse ..... surely? I mean, this came out relatively quickly so maybe Apple actually reads all the crash reports.

Contacted Apple, fo which I have to sign up(!).

Posted this: After installing 10.13.4 my macbook never goes into sleep anymore but reboots instead all the time.

I hear and read that severla people have now this issue, but no information at all to be found.

I had similar problems with earlier updates (but not all the time and the issues disappeared).

I found this information: Apple's magical quality engineering strikes again: You may want to hold off that macOS High Sierra update... • The Regis…

Please undo whatever you put in that update to avoid this. I use this Macbook for my business!

When I want to submit I get this:

You are not allowed to create or update this content.

Grr.

reboot or shutdown...

"The initial install appears to be working fine, but when users go to shutdown or reboot an upgraded system, it goes into recovery mode."

I don't mean to sound smug or anything like that, but I'm just really amazed how reboots and shutdowns are hardwired into peoples habits as something you would willingly do to a computer on a regular basis. I've had a macbook as my sole work computer for a few years now and I don't remember having ever rebooted it outside of what is required by OS upgrades and of course never shut it down. I have maybe pressed the power button twice (in the few years of having this computer) or so to bring it out of hibernation after it had run out of battery on trips, but honestly I have no idea what the power button does if you press it when when the computer is on. I mean, why would I?

As an emacs user, I'm terribly frustrated when an OS upgrade forces me to restart my editor by forcing a reboot of the OS. The idea that someone would willingly reboot their computer more often than that is hard to grasp.

So no, I won't be restarting my computer with 10.13.4; it will reboot when the next OS upgrade comes out and forces a reboot. Why else?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018