back to article Guess who's still most moaned about UK ISP... Rhymes with BorkBork

Despite efforts to return to its roots as a broadband-only biz, TalkTalk remains the most moaned about ISP in the UK, according to data from regulator Ofcom. TalkTalk scored highest out of the top seven providers, with 31 complaints per 100,000 customers – a slight increase on last quarter. The main reasons for customer …

I have never used TalkTalk and I never will, simply because of the stories I read about them on here and because of the leak they had a couple of years ago that they tried to cover up.

However... there are others just as bad. I've just got out of my Virgin media contract a little early because of 'utilisation' issues... Which basically means their network isn't capable of supporting the number of customers they have. This was proven over the course of several months by taking daily screenshots of various speed tests, that showed an average of 20Mbps on a 100Mbps line. Speeds would drop as low as 68Kbps but never higher than 30Mbps.

So I switched to Vodafone in March... and have already terminated my service because they couldn't even transfer my number. Confirmed with Virgin that they've never even requested it.

Virgins customer dept are pretty useless dealing with things, and you have to escalate a complaint and threaten to take it to the regulator before they respond.

Vodafone simply ignore ALL complaints, and you have to email the ceo nick.jeffery@ before they pay attention.

I am currently in limbo... there's a phone line with a temp number blocking the line... I'm still paying Virgin for a phone line and I can't get a new broadband provider installed until Vodaphone terminate the line... Because any new provider will try to take over the temp number and not my actual number.

The moral of this story... all 3 of these providers (TalkTalk, Virgin & Vodafone) are a bunch of lying, deceptive, unfit for purpose feckwits... and No one should ever use them at all.

Anonymous Coward

Yeah Virgin is patchy as hell. I'm on Virgin and I've had very few issues and I get the advertised speed. However my parents 10 miles away got shocking service.

I'm in a heavily subscribed area as well.

I will point out though that I have my router set to modem mode and have a Linksys router behind it. Their routers are absolute shit for anything other than acting as a modem.

VoIP is you friend

I got fed-up ‘protecting’ my phone number and transferred my number out to a VoIP provider. Some were a bit more restrictive than others if the line was from Sky as they didn't have a relationship with Sky (or so I understand) so I went for a pay monthly one (voipfone) at the beginning. Something like £25 to transfer number and £2.40 per month and you pay for calls on top. I also use a free one as a test and both seem good.

House phone was the siemens gigaset so all I had to buy from eBay was a n300a VoIP add-on box and so my phones work as before, just connected to my network rather than my phone line.

Now I can shift my isp and they can issue any phone number they want (if they still need to) or better still when it’s available, no line rental, as I won’t ever be using it again.

Cheers

Silver badge

PlusNet

On the infrequent occasions that I've had to call them, they've always been helpful and friendly.

Are they not mostly at the mercy of OpenReach anyway?

Re: PlusNet

Have to say the same. I've been with Plusnet in three different houses over the past six or seven years, and never had a significant problem that wasn't down to crappy copper - which isn't Plusnet's fault. The helldesk staff are always helpful and knowledgeable, and don't seem to want to get me off the line as soon as possible to meet their targets.

Zen here too, i am willing to pay extra to have a knowledgable and technical person at the other end of the phone when i do have an issue, not a script monkey! I did leave Zen once when things were tight moneywise, but the tech support at Virgin made me run a mile. Router's WiFi status lights are off, power cycling wont make them come back on and i cannot see any SSID's being broadcast. Tech support say open web browser and type http://192.168.1.1 , i tell them I am not connected to any networks this will not work, support agent just try anyway it might work, me scream with rage and run back to Zen.

Windows

I'm on TalkTalk...

£23.31/month for between 768 kbps to 1024 kbps down. You can't beat that quality.

Anonymous Coward

t I t S u P

It just came to me

Anonymous Coward

not doing us proud then? maybe they'll change their slogan

"We continue to roll out service improvements, including new online tools to help customers resolve issues more quickly and conveniently."

How to I contact them online when my line is down? Not quick. Not convenient.

Silver badge

Last year TalkTalk announced it was ditching its mobile service to concentrate on its core broadband business

I assume that circa 913K mobile subscribers [TalkTalk 2017 Annual Report] aren't profitable. I wonder how many will take the up-to 25% off O2 tariffs offer.

GBE

Talk rhymes with Bork?

Eh?

In what English dialect does "talk" rhyme with "bork"?

Re: Talk rhymes with Bork?

Try beer. It does sound similar. If not, try more beer, it will sound similar. Keep trying!

Anonymous Coward

Re: In what English dialect does "talk" rhyme with "bork"?

er, mine?

Joke

Surely it's more a dialect of Swedish?

Silver badge

And "York"? Does that also rhyme with "talk"? Alas, poor Jorvik, I thought I knew it well ... a city of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

(Note to my fellow Yanks: The Brit's version of the English Language changes depending on time, date, weather and where on their tiny little island the speaker hails from. The "rules" are rather like Fizzbin, in that there are no rules other than "The British Way is Best". It's easier to just nod tiredly and move on when they attempt to "correct" other groups of people who also use English to communicate.)

Silver badge

Yes. English is just a dialect of Swedish. If you squint. No need for a joke icon.

Anonymous Coward

Swedish as in Swedish chef, bork-bork.

Happy

"It's easier to just nod tiredly and move on when they attempt to "correct" other groups of people who also use English to communicate."

Ah. You've failed to notice the British laughing into their warm beer when you dear Americans try to pronounce the word 'Edinburgh'. That's marvellous.

Tinkity Tonk!

I love giving my 'Merkin' friends some lessons in English pronunciation.

Worcestershire is pronounced Wo-sest-eer-shy-ree

Leciester or Leiscetershire is Lay-Sest-eer & Lay-sest-eer-shy-ree

Sadly some of them caught on... so I started slipping in more innocuous ones instead. Can't wait for one of them to visit this summer... Gonna be fun. :)

Oh and I've convinced at least some of them that we call their version of 'football' kiddie rugby or hand egg. :)

Silver badge

Excuse me? Us Yanks know perfectly well that the Scots can't spell "borough" ... when we pissmronounce it, we're just taking the mick.

Silver badge

Muppet.

Silver badge

I believe Mr. The Dogs Meevonks' testimony largely proves my point.

(Note to my serial downvoter: I hope your little tantrum provided at least some catharsis. It must be hell, living with that 'orrible level of insecurity about your written and spoken language. Might want to lighten up and learn to laugh at yourself, you'll probably live longer.)

Its not 'borough'. The 'burgh' element is pronounced in the same way as 'brough' is.

This seems to be a common issue around where I live as there are plenty of towns that end in both 'brough' and 'borough'. Although they all come from the same word meaning, the pronunciation is different.

Silver badge

Fascinating. I wonder how many minutes of its life my serial downvoter/boo-bird/fanboi wasted downvoting 150 (or so) of my comments. Did it find satisfaction? Does it silently mouth "take that!" with each button push? Was drool or spittle involved? Does it invent a scenario where I am appalled (sad, irritated, upset, whatever) when I notice? Is it capable of understanding that its little tantrum demonstrates why, exactly, downvoting has absolutely zero meaning whatsoever, thus completely negating its effort?

Poor thing. There, there. Mummy probably loves you anyway. ::hugs::

Silver badge

Huh?

Talk doesn't rhyme with Bork. At least not where I come from.

Re: Huh?

Here in South Yorkshire 'talk' is said like the word 'torque' / 't-OR-c, thus does rhyme (sort of) with 'bork'

Silver badge

As in "Hoi sveethot, ve gun tok. Ist gut."*

*Thanks to the Jägerkin in Girl Genius

"Talk doesn't rhyme with Bork. At least not where I come from."

It does where I'm from (also South Yorkshire), and where I live now (Fife). I can't think of any dialect where it doesn't, so what does "talk" rhyme with where you are from?

Silver badge

Walk.

No moaning at all !!

I've been with them in east london for 10 years, measured the speed, which has been great for years, even without fibre. Checked the security, which also has been great. I have no problem with talktalk at all !

Anonymous Coward

Re: No moaning at all !!

I can feel the stirring, as if of a Great Beasts.

And it will come to pass that thou shalt forever rue the day thou uttered those words

Yea until the very end of time.

Behold the great WankWank riseth up

Trollface

Pretty sure BT doesn't rhyme with BorkBork.

TalkTalk themselves need to shop around

I bet the complaints would be cut in half if they just ditched those awful entry-level Huawei routers for something even a little better. Fast, cheap broadband is pointless if you ship routers that drop connections/crash any time there's an increase in traffic

Get a real ISP

IDNet rocks. I had a problem recently and they not only got a BT engineer out in a day (as it was a physical problem), they also told him how to do his job when he was just going to walk away and blame my equipment instead of finding and fixing the problem. Try getting anything close to that out of TorkTork.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018