back to article Windows Admin Center: Vulture gets claws on browser-based server admin

Microsoft has released Windows Admin Center (formerly known as Project Honolulu) to general availability. Windows Admin Center is a browser application for managing servers and computers on a Windows network. What’s the point? Under the covers, Windows Admin Center uses Remote Powershell and WMI (Windows Management Interface …

Page:

1. Nate Amsden Silver badge

Re: Slowly...

Maybe you didn't read the article but it doesn't sound anything like managing a unix system over a SSH connection. A web UI and a CLI seem to be pretty miles apart.

Webmin may be a really vague comparison but I'm sure that is quite far apart as well. Though I recall back in earlier days of webmin (last time I used it I think late 90s), in several cases which it didn't support some feature you could edit the raw config from the webmin UI to do things(so in that respect may be kind of similar to CLI for those use cases).

My favorite command shell on windows historically(other than a cygwin bash which I have used for basic things over the past ~18 years - little more than vi/tail/less/ssh/<file management commands>) was 4NT (and 4DOS for win9x).

1. J J Carter Silver badge
    Trollface

Much cheapness

This makes server admin so easy, I'm getting in a grad to manage the lot. A grad in sociology mind, I demanded they have an 'ology.

1. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

Re: Much cheapness

"I demanded they have an 'ology."

Most of our admins have an 'opathy. Some in more than one field.

1. Fungus Bob Silver badge
        Windows

Re: Much cheapness

Like Osteopathy?

2. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: browser-based administration is a logical step

IMHO The World should be going in the Opposite Direction. Just reading the latest US-CERT email which includes strings to watch out for in network traffic, it strikes me that the problem we're up against with browser traffic (where unencrypted) is that there are so many variations on what could be typed in in order for a hacker to circumvent packet matching.

There should be a facility baked into browsers which forbids the translation of strings which may arrive in upper case, lower case, hex strings, ascii cardinals, etc., etc. and in any permutation thereof. Until that is enforced on all browsers surely it is far safer to have the conventional coded style of control panel interface (CLI) which only accepts exactly the strings typed in, defeating spoofing and injection attacks, and as an easy way to control the size of buffer used to hold the typed-in content (no buffer overflows).

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Fungus Bob Silver badge
      Trollface

They're paid to...

2. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Tim99 Silver badge
    Windows

MS SBS

I'm old now and the memory may be going, but, didn't MS Small business Server include an adequate remote web base management tool 15-20 years ago? It was basic, but covered most of the normal management tasks for Workgroups of up to 50 users, and seemed to be quite reliable. I suspect it was killed off to appease the larger MS Service Partners, and to encourage the rush to MS's idea of the cloud.

5. guicom

Hi

nice tool

Bur for MS 2016 i have some categories that i cannot find on Win 10 1709 like File explorer or Windows updates .. which will be interesting ! :)

have the same behavior ?

thanks

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019