back to article Scotland: Get tae f**k on 10Mbps Broadband USO

Scotland is unhappy about Westminster's plans to introduce a 10Mbps universal service obligation, with the Scottish Rural Economy Secretary calling it "grossly unfair". The country is currently pursuing far more ambitious plans to deploy 30Mbps broadband to nearly all homes in the country under a £600m programme that is due to …

Silver badge
Unhappy

Re: Englandshire

Agreed. Scots shouldn’t have to pay twice but as I said below they will. The English scheme is being implemented by industry not the government and if the usual culprits are involved then charges will go up across the board and Scottish consumers will end up paying as well.

Silver badge

Re: Englandshire

UK != Scotland + England.

Silver badge
Facepalm

Scottish investment.

Let's hope they've got a bit better at it. If they hadn't fucked it up in the late 1690's, maybe they'd still be autonomous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darien_scheme

"The land where the Darien colony was built, in the modern province of Guna Yala, is virtually uninhabited today."

Silver badge
Unhappy

BT, the service that keeps on taking

IIRC the last time that the Scottish government gave money to BT we got something stupidly called "Exchange Activate". A whopping 512kbps, which was too slow to do very much. Then when BT upgraded our exchange to ADSL Max (another stupid name?) they did not inform their customers. Why? Because they were charging more money for the slower service!

I had been checking SamKnows and when I rang my ISP to inform them of the speed increase was told that BT never tell them anything.

BT Wholesale is still the sole provider :(

My router tells me that it's connected at 8128kbps down and 448kbps up. Uploading anything vaguely large is very tedious.

---------------------------------------------------

Note for SDR enthusiasts.

Last week I port forwarded Openwebrx running on a RPi. I was able to access it from outside of my network but it took about 30 seconds to initially load the page. I had it tuned to Marine VHF frequencies and it worked pretty well considering the slow upload speed. (set to 4 users)

http://sdr.hu/openwebrx

Anonymous Coward

Re: BT, the service that keeps on taking

"My router tells me that it's connected at 8128kbps down and 448kbps up. "

My ADSL is nominally 16mbps. I used to get a connect speed >12mbps. Nowadays it has dropped to <8mbps.

However my upload connection has remained near enough just under 1mbps.

Anonymous Coward

"My router tells me that it's connected at 8128kbps down and 448kbps up. "

My ADSL is nominally 16mbps. I used to get a connect speed >12mbps. Nowadays it has dropped to <8mbps.

However my upload connection has remained near enough just under 1mbps

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not trying to annoy anyone but I live close enough to the exchange to hear them open the door and start banging around,,,

I get a solid 80Mbit down and a healthy 20Mbit up....

Aussie expat in NZ with true gigabit FTTP into my CBD apartment loungeroom.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/6931367330

this in peak time on an NZ public holiday on a 2014 router. Not bad hey? (937 Mbps down, 562 up on a 1Gb/500mb plan)

Silver badge
Flame

Re: "I am not trying to annoy anyone"

Well you're effing annoying me, I can tell you that.

I'm on communal WiFi, powered by solar panels - when it works.

I can tell you one thing - nobody had better try selling me solar panels, because my reaction may be a tad exaggerated.

Silver badge

Scots are being naive

If they think that the telecom companies won’t add the cost onto Scottish consumers’ bills even if a separate scheme takes place. The companies will want to appear to not be passing the cost onto consumers and what better way than implementing the same price increases to all customers?

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Bit selfish...

Can we English, Welsh, and Northern Irish stop subsidising everything for the Scots since they want to be selfish?

When your energy costs, fuel costs, and delivery charges sky rocket maybe you'll see why we operate as one united country and the English overpay so you get the same consistent prices north and south of the border. A good argument for getting rid of the Barnett Formula too there. Fair is fair.

Re: Bit selfish...

ahem ... billion quid for ten mp votes

Silver badge
FAIL

Re: Bit selfish...

ahem...Pennies compared to the Barnett formula.

Anonymous Coward

Tak a wee breth mon

To be fair, even copper is a bit crap in Scotland. My experience of line noise caused by miles of poorly managed electric cattle fences is almost impossible to resolve for voice, let alone any useful broadband.

Out of toon should be fiber and nothing else IMHO (and costs aside).

Most of Scotland is almost beyond "rural" and would better be described as remote. Getting mains power and water are luxuries, drainage is leaky concrete bunkers called cesspits. Given the usual ride to hospital, or to the nearest builders merchant can be hundreds of miles round trip on overpriced fuel these places need broadband to function and survive. Many are excluded from free delivery even from larger online merchants too. Its another world and quite unexpected these environments are only a couple of hours drive from the English border.

Hanging fiber by the electric utilities would be relatively straightforward as they are the only service to have poles to places aside from BT, I am surprised they haven't found a way of monetising that...

No utilities at all was normal just a generation ago in a lot of places, including a fair bit of the southern uplands never mind the highlands. In Scotlands defence though the Wastemonster plan is still only just keeping up with what other parts of the world consider a most basic service...

Anonymous Coward

Looks like the Register's expanded the use of the Silver badge...

To the same use as the gold, to warn commentards that the poster is likely a right wing biggot.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Re: Looks like the Register's expanded the use of the Silver badge...

I’m a slightly left of centre bigot. Can I keep my badge, I’ve only just got it?

Edit - I’m intolerant of anyone with extreme views.

Silver badge

They should also change the icon for the AC poster to a troll living under a bridge.

Anonymous Coward

Mmm...

Let me get this one straight, you are claiming all commentators with a gold badge are right wind biggots and by defining a group of people based on appearance does that not make you a right wing biggot?

Silver badge

@Not also known as SC

Edit - I’m intolerant of anyone with extreme views.

I quite agree - burn them! burn them AAAAALL!

Anonymous Coward

Meanwile in France

You're lucky if you can get dial-up speeds in many parts of the country. And I am *not* talking just about the countryside.

Silver badge

Re: Meanwile in France

If it's good enough for Minitel it's good enough for the internet!

Silver badge

Mine works great. Always has. Where are you that it's so bad?

Silver badge

That's not my experience. Even parked on the Col de la Lezette I can get a fast WiFi connection from the cafe and my apartment in Deux Alpes has a perfectly good 2mbit connection.

Silver badge

Help ma boab!

They have the interwebs in North Britain Who knew?

I just don't get why there is even a rollout of something that slow to begin with, to my Swedish eyes it's just ridiculously slow, in all reality you need a fiber backbone anyway so to me rolling it out all the way just makes so much more sense.

Silver badge

It doesn't make sense if you didn't grow up in Britain.

Just watch out for a moment a few hundred years down the line where the government is more focused on maintaining its own neolithic/monolithic/archaic existence than actually being useful.

Silver badge

Well, you can add Dyce, Aberdeen to the list of crap speeds...

If I want to upload a longish HD video to YouTube, it is LITERALLY quicker to put it on an SD card, and mail it to a relative in England, and get them to do it.

No bullshit.

Anonymous Coward

Can we get the people that live in the middle of nowheresville to cover the cost of providing pollution free air so that we city folk don't have to see what we are breathing and picture windows to replace the crappy view we have out of our windows?

Flame

So once again the Scottish Tax Payer gets a bill - but gets zero back from Wastemonster. So whatever happened to David Cameron's Love Bombing of Scotland in the runup to 2014!?

Seems to be just a case of "get back in your box Scotland" and business as usual as your wealth gets extracted to prop up the remnant laughing stock that is "Great" Britain.

"Jock's tell Sassenachs", 21st Century Britain folks. Jaysus wept!

Government intervention is toxic

Government should just butt out entirely. If there is a demand for faster Internet then there's a profit to be made. If you live in the sticks then the cables will have to be longer and it will cost more. You can't expect other people to pay that cost, any more than they can expect to get a share of the bigger house you can afford because it's in the sticks.

So it's bad economics and it makes people resentful to boot. As soon as government subsidises something everyone starts arguing over the fairness of the subsidy. It's unbecoming.

Anonymous Coward

2.1Mb and I'm in a large southern town within 1/4 mile of the exchange and next door to to the Fibre cabinet.

Divide and rule

Smokescreen for the superfarce. Scotland and England should stick together and fight for decent access for all. The way things are going BT can just keep cherry picking and the rest can eat satellite while we argue about otherstuff...

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018