back to article It's April 2018, and we've had to sit on this Windows 10 Spring Creators Update headline for days

Microsoft has yet to release the Spring Creators Update to Windows 10. We've been sitting here waiting with a story about the launch ready to go, and nothing. Now people are starting to talk. Rumored to arrive on April 10 alongside Patch Tuesday, the Spring Creators Update, aka version 1803 aka Red Stone 4, is due to deliver …

Re: cant win

To be fair I've not had any misbehavior from Win10 today. I expect that to change rapidly when I get out of bed and fire up the PC, like every other day to date.

Silver badge

They can't win because their product is shit and has been for decades.

Nobody's fault but their own.

Silver badge
Devil

"and has been for decades"

I'd say "nearly a decade" (since 'Ape' released). 7 was 'ok'. I'd call it 'moderately acceptable'. Everything _SINCE_ then, however, oughta be burned as toxic waste.

Silver badge
Happy

Have an upvote, coming from me ... heaven must must be on fire ...

I was reading through all the comments and reached yours, the first sensible one. MS is not late, it has not given us a date, yet.

Besides, I am still waiting for the corporates to install the patch Tuesday stuff and report issues before I install that, so not a good time, imho, to release a Spring Kreator's Update (aka Bringer of Torture).

Brexit, again ? What has MS got to do with that ? And yes, I use Linux, also ...

Bronze badge

Fantastic, you use linux, good job on that. Next you guys will be blaming the delay on Brexit, as everything else that goes wrong is blamed on brexit

Don't know about "brexit", but wouldn't mind having a nyexit (as in the rest of NY State breaking away from that cesspool known as NYC).

Anonymous Coward

You don't need to be a Linux user/evangelist to find Microsoft utterly deplorable, especially under the new direction of SatNad.

Most people who despise Microsoft use its products... out of necessity and merely tolerating them.

Silver badge
FAIL

Antipodean edition?

It's on the spring for the Northern hemisphere; why do they insist on misnaming it for the other half of the planet... And don't get me started on calling the previous update "fall" instead of autumn!

Silver badge
Trollface

Re: Antipodean edition?

Duh? As you well know the USA is the whole world. Every other country is just a fantasy made up to make the USA look bad. Their laws are global and Trump is 'The Leader of the Free World'. It's true, just ask any American.

Silver badge
Joke

Please. USA is so limiting. Just call it AMERICA.

Anonymous Coward

Just wait for the "Monsoon" edition...

Silver badge
Windows

Zzzzz

Or you could just give an overview of the last Redstone 4 build than came out on the Fast Ring for Insiders

Silver badge

If

If they're making sure it all works well before they release it that's to the good. Previous updates have proven dodgy. Sometimes failing. Other times installing but failing to admit it's installed and trying over and over again..

Personally I'd be pleased if they just provided error messages that had useful information. There's something about an error message for a failed install that decodes along the lines of " installation failed to instal because there was a problem installing it..." that is somewhat infuriating.

Fake news

Several of my coworkers installed SCU earlier this week from an ISO. I've seen them using the new features.

Silver badge

Win 10, the NEW Vista!

The updates to 10 have been the worst I have seen in years.

Truly 10 is the new Vista. Half baked and not ready for prime time.

Silver badge
Trollface

Re: Win 10, the NEW Vista!

you shouldn't insult Windows Vista by comparing it to 10.

Bronze badge

Re: Win 10, the NEW Vista!

you shouldn't insult Windows Vista by comparing it to 10.

"Odd-numbered StarTrek Movie Edition"?

And I doubt many will get it

Given how windows update works these days, there will be many people who never get this update and will be languishing on old versions of windows 10 forever.

For example, I was trying to help a friend who owns a surface that is running windows 10 1607. Because of a firmware problem, the battery in this surface can't store its correct charge, so it will die if disconnected from power. Microsoft realized this and released a fix, but it can only be installed if the device is connected to power and has 40% or more battery. Because of the firmware problem, the battery never gets to 40%, so the problem can't be fixed. Because of the firmware not being up to date, large updates won't install. Because of security updates that are probably big deals, microsoft wants to install new big updates. The result being that the machine still won't function if not plugged in, and the update procedure would download the 3gb windows 10 image every day and fail to install it, only to repeat the next day. I was unable to get the firmware fixed so the updates and battery would work, so the only solution I had was to tape the power adapter into the socket and kill windows update so that it at least wouldn't waste bandwidth downloading the same image. This using microsoft's hardware and software. Maybe they could use these extra days to fix that

Silver badge

Re: And I doubt many will get it

Rule #1: Do not buy software from a hardware company.

Rule #2: Do not buy hardware from a software company.

The exception is Apple because they did hardware and software from day 1, but even that can go wrong - ask BlackBerry.

Anonymous Coward

Revamped user interface

If it doesn't look like and have a start menu that works like Windows 7 then they can fuck off!

Silver badge

Re: Revamped user interface

Well, the Win 7 start menu needed some improvements. It's just that the Win 8.x fiasco and the ghastly Win 10 fudge has made us forget it's faults. The 7 start menu needed to be made easier to organise for a start. Instead they made it hard-to-impossible. F***ing idiots.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

don't forget 3D Skeuomorphic instead of the 2D FLATSO!

Silver badge
Happy

"7 start menu needed to be made easier"

step 1: turn off sort. then you can drag stuff around.

Bronze badge

If it doesn't look like and have a start menu that works like Windows 7 then they can fuck off!

The question is whether this will be the edition that kills ClassicShell.

Silver badge

Where's the obligatory "just install Linux" comment?

This is a techie forum, everyone who's any good at IT already has

Bronze badge
Joke

Where's the obligatory "just install Linux" comment?

Just install ReacOS

I can't even get 1709 to install on my stick PC despite repeated attempts. And the failure doesn't give anything remotely resembling a useful error message. I need to find the time to wrestle with the shitty BIOS so I can convince it to boot off a Linux thumb drive and make the machine actually useful again.

aks

Installed successfully yesterday on my Windows 10 Mobile.

Anonymous Coward

It's Friday 13th...

Maybe Microsoft will release it today?

FAIL

Windowa s Gi-Go

Yes, well perhaps this 'upgrade' will fix the bugs introduced by the last 'upgrade' that screwed around with my wireless keyboard and mouse settings and not cause my wi-fi connection to bob up and down like a yo-yo like the last one.

Windows 7 had its shortfalls, but at least it used to work and not change my system settings.

Do you think this mobile update provides better EDGE support for PWAs?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018