back to article 2001: A Space Odyssey has haunted pop culture with anxiety about rogue AIs for half a century

HAL: Dave, I don't understand why you have to do this to me. I know I've done some bad things, but I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. OTHER HAL: Dave, I wouldn't pay any attention to HAL. You're doing the right thing, HAL must be disconnected. He's become dangerously unreliable. BOWMAN: Who …

Page:

1. xeroks

Re: For more details....

oh, I had that.

I may even still have it somewhere. It was an interesting read. though I really need to watch the film again, it's been so long.

2. Danny 2

Download the DAISY.zip for The Lost Worlds of 2001

I'm not being helpful, just pointing out the irony...

https://openlibrary.org/books/OL7571361M/The_Lost_Worlds_of_2001/daisy

Books for people who don't read print?

The Internet Archive is proud to be distributing over 1 million books free in a format called DAISY, designed for those of us who find it challenging to use regular printed media.

There are two types of DAISYs on Open Library: open and protected. Open DAISYs can be read by anyone in the world on many different devices. Protected DAISYs (like this one) can only be opened using a key issued by the Library of Congress NLS program.

Enjoy!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The computer science people amongst the crowd might also want to pick up 'HAL's Legacy' by MIT Press which discusses some of the AI and computing issues raised in the movie. It's a bit old now, but the articles are good.

Also worth a read '2001: Filming the Future' by Piers Bizony which has lots of photos of the props that were all destroyed at the end of shooting, including the colossal model of the Discovery which is less of a model than a piece of architecture.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Headline?

> 2001: A Space Odyssey has haunted pop culture with anxiety about rogue AIs for half a century

2001's HAL wasn't responsible for a popular fear of robots and AI... many of Asimov's robot stories from the 50s revolve around efforts to counteract the 'Frankenstein Complex' of the fictional general public - hence the efforts of Dr Susan Calvin and her staff at US Robots and Mechanical Men Inc.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Headline?

Indeed, it was from The War with the Robots by Karel Capek that we got the word. Dystopias and Utopias are symbiotic which is why where we have Verne, we also have Wells; where one inspires the other cautions.

The greatness of 2001 lies in the fact that Hollywood producers didn't get the chance to sanitise and glamourise it. But they did learn from it which is why since then spaceships are noisy, because audiences apparently didn't appreciate the silence in space.

1. tiggity Silver badge

@Charlie Clark

"which is why since then spaceships are noisy, because audiences apparently didn't appreciate the silence in space."

indeed, but pandering to the audience goes way too far *

(I like the relatively sparse dialogue, long periods of silence in 2001)

* Hence the seemingly endless interchangeable sequel / series type films these days - audiences seemed to like X so make Y following similar formula to X, repeat until audiences dwindle too much then remodel based on another recent hit

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

And course with the good Dr Asimov being a Jewish atheist scholar of the old testament, he would have been familiar with the folklore of the Golem - which predates Mary Shelly. Though I believe his doctorate was in biochemistry.

Sidenote: the recent reboot of the classic computer game Sam and Max has the titular psychopathic rabbit exclaim: "By the scared sideburns of Isaac Asimov!".

2. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Spaceships (well, space stations) are noisy, in the same way that server and air-con rooms are noisy, with the added disadvantage of there being no solid ground to act as a dampner of the vibrations.

https://www.airspacemag.com/ask-astronaut/ask-astronaut-it-quiet-onboard-space-station-180958932/

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

> Spaceships (well, space stations) are noisy,

For sure, though I believe the original comment referred to external spacecraft noise in films that present a space battle as if it were a WW2 dog fight.

"Whoosh! Pewpew! Kaboom!" Etc

1. shedied

I believe even the original Star Trek (Shatner and the late Leonard Nimoy) tried realistic space battles but Gene Rodenberry said there was no excitement if they were all sitting still while everything was exploding really close to the ship; to make for good TV you had to have the camera shake with the blasts, and the entire crew on the bridge had to be tossed around a bit unless they grabbed onto their chairs or consoles

1. Muscleguy

I've never understood why the bridge of the Enterprise doesn't come with seatbelts, and even airbags, or even just ratlines. IRL subject that sort of impact it would do. Belts or an electronic version of a bar that goes across.

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

indeed, but pandering to the audience goes way too far

It does, but when you're investing hundreds of millions it makes sense. Hollywood is happy to let independent or foreign films take the risks and then remake what sells well.

2. Michael Habel

US Robotics Zarquon haven't they gone under yet?

3. Chris G

It was not only Aasimov who engendered that fear, many writers in the comics of the '40s and '50s wrote and drew similar tales, in comics like Strange Tales, Tales to Astonish, Weird Science etc. In the '50s when I was about 8 or 9 years old my neighbour was a cool kid of fifteen, he was a Teddy Boy and him and his mates used to buy all of those comics and pass them on to me, I had piles of them, wish I still had them I could probably retire wealthy.

The one I remember is where a huge computer controls regiments of robots that enslave mankind, one day an old guy is cleaning around the evil computer and knocks the plug out of the socket...........

2. Jedit Silver badge
    Headmaster

"the monolith is a representation of a wideframe cinema screen rotated 90°."

*dons pedant hat and also running shoes for quick getaway*

Nope, sorry. The dimensions of the Monolith are explicitly given as being in the ratio 1:4:9 - the first three square numbers. The ratio of a cinema screen is 2.35:1, not the necessary 2.25:1.

1. 's water music
      Coat

Re: "the monolith is a representation of a wideframe cinema screen rotated 90°."

Nope, sorry. The dimensions of the Monolith are explicitly given as being in the ratio 1:4:9 - the first three square numbers. The ratio of a cinema screen is 2.35:1, not the necessary 2.25:1.

I applaud your pedantry (obvs) but must also point out that 6*9<>42

1. PerlyKing

Re: "6*9<>42"

Base 13 - duh! ;-)

2. Mage Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: "the monolith is a representation of a wideframe cinema screen rotated 90°."

There is no fixed ratio for Cinema widescreen. There are differing film frames, anamorphic lenses. But the print is "matted" and the projectors have adjustable matte. The 1:1.66 was once popular.

Flat or Matte only ratios common: 1.66:1, 1.75:1, 1.85:1, and 2:1.

There have also been various actual frame ratios by varying the number of sprockets per frame.

Anamorphic uses barrel distortion so filmed and projection ratio doesn't match film frame size. The negative can have a 1:2.35 to 1:2.55 compressed image. Ben Hur was 1:2.7, I think.

Some pre WWII WS used three linked cameras and projectors.

Only TV sets with no projection are fixed ratio.

1. Chris Holford

Re: "Some pre WWII WS used three linked cameras and projectors.."

Early 'Cinerama' used this in the 1960s; eg 'How the West Was Won'

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

The dimensions of the Monolith are explicitly given as being in the ratio 1:4:9

But evidently the cinema monolith is NOT like this.

Indeed, there are several monoliths with differring dimensions, depending on the scene. Artistry in action.

Same as the bone-shaped Discovery which makes no sense because "how am I going to decelerate in Jupiter space, I have a NERVA but I have no fuel tanks...." (made worse in 2010 because the Discovery gets out of Jupiter space with STILL no fuel tanks...)

1. Alister

Most of the triangular containers along the spine between the sphere and the engines are fuel tanks, as I recall.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Most of the triangular containers along the spine between the sphere and the engines are fuel tanks, as I recall.

Reversing the polarity. They would be empty in a jiffy. It would also be might impractical to implement getting the fuel from the front tanks (which looks suppiciously not like tanks) to the rear.

Check this: The Spacecraft Designs of Arthur C. Clarke (Space.com Exclusive)

1. Alister

@D A M

If the engines are meant to be nuclear fission - which is what I remember from the book - then what fuel would you need, I wonder. Is it more likely to be reaction mass, than "fuel" as such?

Windows

If the engines are meant to be nuclear fission - which is what I remember from the book - then what fuel would you need, I wonder. Is it more likely to be reaction mass, than "fuel" as such?

Correct. Anything that you can pump through the reactor will do. In the book, it was ammonium, which needs pre-heating but then one does have a fission reactor nearby. Hydrogen would give best specific impulse, but it's hard to keep in the tanks.

2. Sanguma

"Most of the triangular containers along the spine between the sphere and the engines are fuel tanks, as I recall."

Arthur C Clarke mentions in The Lost Worlds of 2001 that he had had to forgo the pleasure to showing the radiator panels for the plasma engine, because most of the audience would be unable to grasp why in airless space, the spaceship had wings. Disappointing, really, but perhaps that's why HAL gets so hot under his (metaphorical) collar/choler?

4. elgarak1

The ratio of the original 70-mm NON-anamorphic that was used for 2001 is 2.2:1. That's awfully close to the 4:9=1:2.25 of the largest area side of the monolith. Frankly, most theaters are not that close aspect ratios – projecting film is a rather loosely defined standard.

5. RJG

If you want to be really pedantic about it, one of the books continues the 1:4:9 sequence with 64:125:216

In higher dimensions, noting that it was unclear how many dimensions the monolith had.

6. Wilseus

I've read some very interesting theories about this, one essay I read makes a very convincing argument that the film (but NOT the book) tells another, different story on a different level to the obvious one about an advanced alien intelligence. In several scenes for instance, there is Illuminati style "pyramid/all seeing eye" imagery: a perspective shot from below of the monolith with the sun/moon above it, the shape of the desks in the lunar meeting room with Floyd at the head, and lots more.

Also, supposedly the whole ending sequence is not what it seems, it's a dream sequence, Bowman's realisation that so much in the world is not what it seems.

It's a fascinating read if you have the time, click here

Thumb Up

Discovery-1: The Facebook Ship

Also, supposedly the whole ending sequence is not what it seems, it's a dream sequence, Bowman's realisation that so much in the world is not what it seems.

That was pretty fun. Like reading someone analyzing a Lynch movie. Or the end of the original Evangelion. Or Avalon.

The author decidedly goes off the rails in the last few chapters, but the hypothesis about a message of societal control embedded in the movie sounds very not impossible. Thus are good conspiracy theories made. Still, would Kubrick have been good enough to encode all the hidden elements into scripts, storyboard, props, actor behaviour, getting it past suits, people on the set, moneybags, Marvin Minsky and Arthur C. Clarke while having the latter write a solid Sci-Fi yarn as Red Herring?

It is debatable whether a human could withstand the vacuum of space, as Bowman does, even for a few seconds. So taking into account the themes of technological inhibition, Bowman overcoming the vacuum of space could be symbolizing a recovery of forgotten physical abilities. After he overcomes the vacuum we find a drastic change in cinematography. The stiff and rigid camera movements comprising almost the entire film are replaced by loose handheld shots, hinting that Bowman has freed himself from HALs psychological prison. HAL desperately spouts lies and false sincerity to save himself, but Dave is now impervious to such deceptive tactics and he wastes no time in disconnecting HALs higher brain.

This.

Also:

The scene where Bowman and Poole watch themselves broadcast in a television interview has a scripted feel to it. The true purpose of the mission is not told and so the whole broadcast smacks of propaganda. As they watch this footage the astronauts are eating processed fake food. Like Alex at the end of A Clockwork Orange, they are literally being fed a pack of lies, but here they are eating their own lies.

This is actually happening in the current year.

Re: Discovery-1: The Facebook Ship

Also, at http://www.collativelearning.com/2001%20chapter%205.html, we read:

"Sometime in the 1990's they had released the original 70mm film in Hollywood for a short period of time and I and my girlfriend went to go see it. One thing happened in it that I wanted to share with you. At the moment the wine glass shatters near the end of the film, the film itself noticeably skipped, like the physical film reel was damaged. In the theatre I immediately laughed, because knowing Kubrick this was not a mistake. It goes beautifully with the interpretation that there are moments in the film where we are staring at nothing other than the actual monolith itself (the screen.) By having an error occur in the film on 2 levels at once, it's the film trying to step out of itself, a theme which is intimately tied in with the nature and mystery of consciousness, which I speculate that Kubrick was trying to express."

That would be very interesting to have confirmed...

2. Graham Marsden

Re: Discovery-1: The Facebook Ship

> It is debatable whether a human could withstand the vacuum of space, as Bowman does, even for a few seconds.

"In a pair of papers from NASA in 1965 and 1967, researchers found that chimpanzees could survive up to 3.5 minutes in near-vacuum conditions with no apparent cognitive defects, as measured by complex tasks months later."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/survival-in-space-unprotected-possible/

Clarke used this as the basis of his short story "Take a Deep Breath".

He was also annoyed that he wasn't on set when Kubrick shot the scene of Bowman triggering the explosive bolts on the Pod because Bowman holds his breath which is precisely what you should *not* do as the air will expand and rupture the lungs.

What he should have done was to open his mouth and breathe out as much as possible instead.

3. Dave 126 Silver badge

Size of HAL

Kubrick agreed that HAL's processors would most likely be housed in something the size of a shoebox (he wasn't ignorant of miniaturisation and short paths between nodes), but deliberately took artistic licence because having Bowman floating around a room-sized HAL is a more striking and dramatic image.

1. Paul Herber Silver badge

Re: Size of HAL

A shoebox? Not size 9 chukka boots by any chance?

Any shoe event horizons around?

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Bowman floats around HAL's holographic memory banks, not his CPU(s).

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

My bad - Kubrick envisaged HAL's processors *and* memory as fitting in a shoebox. The whole AI bar sensors and actuators.

3. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Go

"but deliberately took artistic licence because having Bowman floating around a room-sized HAL is a more striking and dramatic image."

Did anyone else think that the HAL memory bank room would be practically impossible to service under any sort of gravity and prone for several 'Who, me' stories?

And while we're discussing Asimov - HAL is rather more reasonable than Isaac's vision of MultiVac which in different stories was some city-sized datacenter with cogs and levers and such, and the output was a paper card or such. TV's were by then (50s) not rare anymore. In some stories there were only few MultiVac's around the globe doing all mankind's computation - similar to what Watson predicted at IBM 60 years ago... Isaac had a great mind and many stories are intriguing but he really was no computer visionary.

4. mix

In dreams...

I went to bed thinking I could do with watching 2001 and 2010 again as it has been so long. Then I wake up to this article... these kinds of coincidences happen often in my life. Happy to hear any explanations. I'm sure I've not read about 2001 anywhere else recently.

1. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Re: In dreams...

And re-reading 2065

1. mix

That's so weird as I own only that book in the series...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"And re-reading 2065"

If you mean "2061: Odyssey Three", then... I felt pretty let down by that one at the time. The original 2001 novel was great, and 2010 was an excellent sequel.

2061 on the other hand, felt much more slight and- in hindsight- more like a spin-off that happened to take place in the same universe. It featured some familiar characters and locations taking part in the action, but the bulk of the plot was more like a separate story.

If you were only concerned with the advancement of the main storyline from 2001/2010, you could reduce 2061 to a handful of pages at most.

5. x 7

Guess where the design for the spacesuits worn by David Tennant in "Dr Who" came from?

I believe the actual same suits were used in some series

Aren't these also early actual design studies by NASA?

2. Roj Blake Silver badge

From certain angles, the yellow spacesuit looks like Zippy from Rainbow.

1. PaulyV

My mum took me to see 2001 at Louth Picturehouse when re-released in the late 70's. I remember her saying that to me! She also pointed out that the Discovery's communications dish looked like Mickey Mouse.

6. TheProf

Rogue AI

Clarke puts a reason for the behaviour of HAL in the follow-up novel '2010'. HAL was just following conflicting orders as best he could when his programming had been tampered with i.e making the 'mission' (not necessarily the scientific one) more important than the crew.

I feel sorry for HAL. Being blamed when it was actually the fault of those pesky humans.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Rogue AI

Indeed, it's the orders that are added late in the Discovery's planning stage, following the discovery of the lunar monolith, that cause the conflict in HAL. No malfunction, no murderous intent for the sake of it. The original orders to merely explore the Jovian system were developed fairly openly, whereas the amendments came from covert agencies / politicians.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Rogue AI

Which is why I have decided any AI in my stories needs to put crew first.

Or do what they did in Interstellar. Have a sense of humour, honesty and need to know settings. Oh, but allow override when necessary!

7. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: a crystal tetrahedron pyramid

Which, no matter how good the production design, would have resulted in some sort of cheesy perspex thingy that would have looked oddly old-fashioned by 1970.

And I'd bet that Kubrick was aware of it.

1. FatElls

The original acrylic monolith is in London, near Tower Bridge, very 1970's.

Google "st katharine dock monolith"

no idea what it was until I read the plaque while queuing for the cash point beneath it.

1. xeroks

That is pretty horrible. I can see that using the block to celebrate the Queen's silver Jubilee might have been a good idea. but the design isn't great.

The artist, Albert Fleischmann, does some really lovely work in perspex, but I don't think this is one. Don't know if it was a "design by committee" problem or a very rushed implementation.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon