back to article Cyborg fined for riding train without valid ticket

A self-described “cyborg” who slipped a public transport smartcard under his skin has pled guilty to riding trains without a valid ticket and copped a fine, plus costs. Meow-Ludo Disco Gamma Meow-Meow, the chap’s actual name, claims to be a bio-hacker and, as we wrote in 2017, wanted to pay for train journeys with a wave of …

Page:

1. Scott 53
        Headmaster

Re: Did he pay the appropriate fare for the journey?

"just tinkerers from other preffesions?"

You're obviously not an English preffesor.

1. Jos V

Re: Did he pay the appropriate fare for the journey?

I think the Ts & Cs are pretty clear on what you can and can't do with an Opal card.

If you get one, and use one, you agree to these, cyborg or not:

https://transportnsw.info/document/2114/opal-terms-of-use.pdf

A good start is reading item 40.

IANAL, but point 82 seems pretty clear:

Acceptance of terms:

By using your Device as a ticket on a public passenger service you agree to be bound by the Terms of Use in force at that time. If you do not agree to be bound, you must refrain from using your Device.

What I (might have) missed from the article is whether or not his "card" was topped up, or if he was indeed traveling without paying. If you want to use PT, pay up.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
    Go

Logans (Transit) Run

While you are it, why not get a lifeclock embedded in your hand.

Now I have Jenny Agutter wearing that short dress in my mind for the rest of the night. :D

1. TheOldGuy

Jenny Agutter wearing that short dress

Ah yes, I remember that!

Dammit, now I need a cold shower....

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Jenny Agutter wearing that short dress

Now, now kids. Get your minds out of a gutter ...

2. DavCrav Silver badge

"Dammit, now I need a cold shower...."

That post should come with a trigger warning. Our bloody boiler broke last night and we have no hot water or heating.

1. Symon Silver badge
          Pint

DavCrav, was it cold where you are last night? Does the boiler make an awful gurgling noise? Try melting the ice in the condensate drain pipe with a kettle of hot water. Good luck.

https://www.google.com/search?q=condensate+pipe+frozen

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Try melting the ice in the condensate drain pipe with a kettle of hot water."

Yeah, that works - for about fifteen minutes, then it just freezes up again.

As a practical matter (as miniBeast is on its way) it's easier to disconnect the drain and attach a temporary hose to a bucket. You can sort out the run so it won't get exposed to freezing weather at a later date.

This kind of thing is an installation FAIL, usually justified by "It doesn't get cold enough to freeze pipes around here mate"

3. Winkypop Silver badge
        Meh

Oooh dear, I remember that too.

Here is the antidote:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/nintchdbpict000202028163.jpg?strip=all&w=640

2. ukgnome Silver badge

Re: Logans (Transit) Run

And now I have the fear in mine.

I'm that old I skipped carousel and now I am living in an office full of cats.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: I'm that old I skipped carousel ...

I'm still busy collecting and freezing fish and sea greens, plankton and protein from the sea.

1. ukgnome Silver badge

@TRT

thanks a lot!

You have no idea how scared I still am of that bloody robot.

3. Simon Harris Silver badge

Re: Logans (Transit) Run

"Jenny Agutter..."

How am I going to get any work done now with those thoughts in my head?

2. I3N
    Pint

Where was the mention of tDCS ...

anybody?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just wait until ...

... it becomes compulsary for everyone to be chipped at birth.

... doing it to pet dogs was just the pilot scheme.

Go

Re: Just wait until ...

See Logan.

4. OffBeatMammal

so, you can now pay for an Opal ticket using an Amex or an Opal card. I wonder if pulling the NFC chip out of there would have got the same offence?

1. TRT Silver badge

Probably. Depends how they define a valid ticket.

5. jake Silver badge

One wonders ...

Just about every piece of plastic I have gets replaced by the issuing authority on a fairly regular basis, and not just because the original expires, either. One of my credit cards was replaced four times in the space of six months, for no apparent reason other than a new colo(u)r scheme. So one wonders, how many times will people like Mr. Meow have to replace this kind of thing before they become bored? Or is part of the fun building up scar tissue?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a strange chap...

"Meow-Meow explained the story behind his name in an interview with HuffPost Australia last year.

"I was name agnostic. I thought it would be a really interesting experience to change your name because not many people have that experience," he told the website."

Except most women who get married, some men who get married, and a lot of others who just don't like their birth name.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What a strange chap...

I don't think he knows what 'agnostic' means in this context. If he didn't give a shit, he wouldn't have felt enough about it to change it.

And as you point out, other people do change their names,... one colleague changed theirs when they changed their gender, so it's often larger life events that cause people to change their name, not agnosticism.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: I don't think he knows what 'agnostic' means...

Or 'attention seeking twat' either. Still, one should revel in the glory of the diversity of humanity.

1. Mark 85 Silver badge

Re: I don't think he knows what 'agnostic' means...

Still, one should revel in the glory of the diversity of humanity.

Revel or weep? Sometimes there's a thin line between those...

7. Chris King Silver badge

I don't know of anyone trying that over here in the UK, the nearest we've got to that is the "Croydon Wizard" who embedded the chip in his Oyster card into a wand.

1. sabroni Silver badge

re: embedded the chip in his Oyster card into his wand.

Ouch!!!

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: re: embedded the chip in his Oyster card into his wand.

TfL once issued staff "Oyster" cards inside official TfL watches. It wasn't popular.

8. John Robson Silver badge

Missed opportunity...

Surely the second charge was waved...

I’ll get my coat...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a very strange and arrogant thing to do, it's like he has a chip on his shoulder.

10. Paul Westerman
    Facepalm

Meow meow meow meow

I've got the old 'Meow Mix' jingle in my head now.

11. JimmyPage Silver badge

Not bio-hacker "and" twat.

"Bio hacker" is a synonym for "twat".

Am I an old fossil, or do other Regtards recall one "captain cyborg" aka Kevin Warwick ?

1. Alistair Silver badge
      Windows

Re: Not bio-hacker "and" twat.

@JimmyP:

I try very hard not to recall Capt. Cyborg.

FAIL

Re: Not bio-hacker "and" twat.

I apparently resurrected\rebooted CC the day before last.

12. Little Mouse

Lawyer logic

"the law had not kept pace with his client’s ideas""

On what planet could that be a valid defense?

Prisons are full of people who think the law shouldn't apply to them either.

1. Mike Moyle Silver badge

Re: Lawyer logic

As with any job, some days you just have to do the best you can with what you're given to work with.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

name like that

screams "attention whore" and pretty much invalidates in everyone's mind, anything else they might attempt to accomplish. Even if that someone hits on, whether accidentally or not, a real genius moment.

the problem with living in a "society" is that "society" has expectations of commonality, common interpretations, morals, and ways of doing things.

You spend too much time trying to piss out of "society" you really gotta be off your rocker to expect that, or ANY "society" to acknowledge or even recognize your presence.

its like people deliberately set themselves up for failure, as failure is seen like a virtue...

14. unwarranted triumphalism

Facts? We don't need no stinking facts

Interesting how so many of you commentards are throwing around accusations without being able to agree on the facts of what happened.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Facts? We don't need no stinking facts

Only following our governments lead, dear person of unspecified gender ...

15. fobobob

Implant...

... the whole card. Problem solved. If it's visible through a thin layer of skin, that should be fine, right?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019