back to article Bad blood: Theranos CEO charged with massive fraud

The woman heralded as "the next Steve Jobs" has been charged with massive fraud, forced to pay a $500,000 fine and been stripped of control of the company she founded. Theranos CEO Elizabeth Holmes was once pictured on the front pages of numerous tech and business magazines as a future leader in the industry. At one point was …

Page:

1. Schultz
    Boffin

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

(A.C. Clarke)

In this case, the investors just followed the money, assuming someone else had checked the magic. Holmes was happy to lead them along.

Technology will continue to give us great advances in medical diagnostics and treatment, but it takes a lot of work and time to make each little step. Theranos promised it all at once and right now -- that's usually not how science progresses.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Theranos, ...

meet Thanatos...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

2014: "...simply made up figures."

2018: Now it's called 'accrual' and it's the latest Generally Accepted Accounting Practice.

1. tony2heads

Re: 2014: "...simply made up figures."

aren't they just 'alternative figures' just as we now have 'alternative truth' ?

BTW how did this stuff get past accountants for so long?

1. BebopWeBop

Re: 2014: "...simply made up figures."

BTW how did this stuff get past accountants for so long?

Carrilion (in the UK) and many others demonstrate that for PWC and many accountants, large fees will make most things fly until they make the accountants personally responsible.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Buh-bye

Funny that it took a gumshoe from a traditional media outlet (an olde-timey newspaper, no less) to break the reality distortion field around this one. Ars Technica, El Reg, Wired, etc etc, why did the WSJ see through it and not you?

I'm also curious about how Theranos managed to recruit heavyweights (and not, generally, stupid people, even if you detest what they have done in public life) to the board of directors. I mean, I can't just call up Henry Kissinger and say "join my company". Very odd.

1. Guus Leeuw

Re: Buh-bye

Dear Sir,

do you really wonder?

Can I just say that I read 3 articles on ElReg this morning, and I've had my share of bad English for the day... Outfits like ElReg simply regurgitate news (whether that news was already regurgitated or not) for us to swallow. I mean, why in the world would one use the word "artificial" as an adjective to the word "satellite"? Is it to indicate that there are also naturally occuring satellites? In a story about the Keppler Satellite??

It's clear that random people ran write for these media outfits. Nobody needs journalism training anymore... Any twat can write whatever he/she wants and publish it as well (I mean, look at me)... No need for making sure that, at least, the language is sound, never mind the actual contents of the publication.

So old-school journalism *still* is vital to the world, and I for one am happy to see it!

Regards,

Guus

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm pretty sure that "satellite" is being used correctly. The Moon is also a satellite of Earth, as the Earth is a satellite of the Sun.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/satellite

2. rmason

@Guus,

Next time it goes dark outside (and isn't cloudy) nip out side and see if you can spot any natural satellites.

Several are visible to the naked eye, at worst you'll see one, but others are often visible. One is a *our* natural satellite, the others are our fellow satellites around the sun.

3. Jamie Jones Silver badge

You miss his point: On a techie site, talking about Kepler, they felt the need to say "artificial", as if the clarification is needed.

He's still a grumpy old git though!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Funny that it took a gumshoe from a traditional media outlet

That really was an excellent series in the WSJ. What was really fascinating were the comments in the online edition. Ms Holmes had her staunch defenders all through the series, because: sexism, persecution of a visionary, big business is out to get her, etc.

3. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

@bobajob12

why did the WSJ see through it and not you?

El Reg seems to have covered this firm from over a couple of years ago...

https://search.theregister.co.uk/?q=Theranos&advanced=1&date=the+dawn+of+time&results_per_page=100

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not all is lost ;)

Next time she should just stick with Indie Go Go for her future fundraiser company campaign. There people more or less expect to scammed (or so it sometimes looks to me at least) so she should fit right in.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perhaps she'll drive away into the sunset

in a Tesla (because her Delorean is the garage being repaired).

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One would think such catastrophic events would alter the appearance of the CEO. I mean look at how Bill Gates aged like 10 years within 2 years around 1998/99, when US vs MSFT almost split MSFT in two companies. Nope. No grey hair, no wrinkles, no indication of stress at all, nothing. This CEO girl has apparently no ethics at all. She seemingly doesn't care. Next stop for her, start the next fraudulent over hyped gig.

8. Miss_X2m1

Investors actually believed her??? P.T. Barnum was right.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Actual victims

As with the Shkreli case it seems that you can fleece your desperate customers (who need your drugs or are relying on your blood tests) and the US legal systems goes "Meh". But as soon as you annoy the people with the money then, uh oh, you're in big trouble now...

10. Eddy Ito

Poor, stupid girl, maybe dropping out of college to start this company wasn't the best move after all.

The part I don't understand is where was the FDA in all this? Considering all the hoops most medical manufacturers have to jump through to get something as simple as a blood glucose monitor or wheelchair approved, where was the data on this company's products? We'd be better off if we replaced the FDA with an independent third party like UL or FM

1. JohnFen

" where was the FDA in all this?"

The FDA had the company under investigation, and already began to sanction it for related issues.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

where was the FDA in all this?

In the WSJ series, they detail the problems Theranos was having with the FDA. That included "hiding" test equipment from the FDA inspectors.

11. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

Pretty face, ugly brain.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like