back to article London Mayor calls for social networks and sharing economy to stop harming society

London Mayor Sadiq Khan has called for social networks and sharing economy platforms to act for social good, rather than profit. In a keynote speech at the SXSW festival in Austin, Texas, Khan laid some of the blame for increasing social division and nativist populism at the feet of technology companies. Social networks, he …

Headmaster

Re "Err, what? Does not compute!"

That would be because Mr Bombastic misspelled the name of the TV station concerned. The correct spelling is of course "Fake News". :)

Silver badge

Re: Leader of the free world

apperently you might have missed the memo of the impending trade war, in which America WILL come out the victor. In fact in most things the US doen't even have to go that far to find. So when this Trade War actually lands, and it starts to actually get US Steal Mills back up and, running, as it will! You can bet your sorry rear, that Trump will still be 'round well after 2020.

Silver badge

Re: increasing social division and nativist populism

You aren't that far off... Perphap the "Monkey" would stop flinging turds as you say. If the MSM would just grow up and, get over a certin lil' Girls loss about what Fourteen Months ago now. But, yeah lets balme them rascly Russian Trolls about it instead? And, forget about how Hillery is just pure nurotoxin outside of her rather miniscule base. In which nobody had ever thought to poll outside of. Much to their pained (and most laughable), expresions of utter horror, and contempt.

So yeah of course Trump wants to set a few records straight. Bugger all if he can trust the MSM (Who would personally love to see him dead!), to do that job themselves.

Silver badge

And, just what part of "Make America Great Again!" is leading you to suspect that Trump actually gives a toss about something in your neck of the woods, on some distant shore.... Far... Far away from him? NEWSFLASH He doesn't! Me thinks your thinking of 'ol Berry... Now theres an SOB who'd be a king of the world if he could.

Silver badge

Again. Why should Trump (or by proxy any sane leader of any Country), give so much as a toss about how Country "B" might feel? Its up to Country "B" to do the job of looking out for Country "B"'s People, and nobody elese. This is why the great Bruxelles exprement WILL FAIL. Sadly not today, and not after you manage to limp away with Brexit lite. Which will do nothing for but, to strip you of any say you might have had otherwise. Because your PM is too concerned with the needs of Phil, and Bill, and not Bob, and Steve. To be bothered to do the right thing, which is to tell that lot to fork right the hell off!

Hopefully Italy will manage to get this much correct, in the comming years.

Silver badge

Re: Re "Err, what? Does not compute!"

No the correct speling would either be the BBC, or CNN surly.

Silver badge

Re: increasing social division and nativist populism

"If the MSM would just grow up and, get over a certin lil' Girls loss about what Fourteen Months ago now."

You know who bangs on about Hillary Clinton more than anyone? Clinton is yesterday's news. No-one cares. Yet not a day goes by without some Trump-ite, or the Man-child himself, giving us the old "But Hillary!" whine. And here you are with today's whine.

Meanwhile, back in the real and present world, Trump is securely in Putin's back pocket and his supporters are too blind to notice. Putin could land on the White House front lawn with a fleet of gun helicopters, and Trump would be out the back, waving his arms and shouting "Nothing to see here! Hillary! Emails! Lock her up!"

"Also, what's good for one group of people in the economy is not necessarily any good for a much larger group of people"

More jobs are great for workers, but the increase in wage cost is murder on employers. That's what you meant?

I watched Fox News

It was hilarious.

@Arctic Fox

Faux News

Silver badge

"hopefully BBC is better than the 3 letter networks over on THIS side of the pond when it comes to accurate news reporting"

Sorry, Bob, but no. And oddly I always thought you were a Brit. Well there you go.

Anonymous Coward

Theory not yet disproved

14 years on, and as relevant as ever:

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Flame

"If that duty of care is not exercised, he said social networks can expect harsh regulation like Germany's 24-hour takedown laws or the European Commission's one-hour deadline for removal of terror-related content."

Right now somebody's suing Twitter over that "duty of care" under the claim that they're in violation of California law(Jared Taylor et al vs. Twitter), arguing they qualify as a public forum and thus have to let "race realists" and the like have their say.

Given that all the big networks are based in Cali, I'd just love to see the international shitshow Twitter loses. Unmovable wall and unstoppable object here we come.

Silver badge

You mean like how they did that to Sargon of Akkad Last week? Because all he said was that Merkels great experiment was a failure, and a disater waiting to happen?

Delusional

Sounds like a lovely warm comment from the London Mayor, but does he really think mega-corps in a capitalist society will suddenly change their ways and do things for the greater good rather than cold, hard cash? Yeah right, tell their shareholders or the city that, and watch shares tumble. I can tell you which would win.

Not that I disagree with the comments of course - it makes sense. Social media is tearing society apart, and having a terribly negative effect especially on the young, but he's just delusional I'm afraid.

Silver badge
Megaphone

Re: Delusional

"do things for the greater good rather than cold, hard cash?"

who says they have to be different goals? I say that the GREATEST GOOD is FREE SPEECH! _ANY_ form of censorship, which is what is being asked for here [do NOT doubt me], is NOT "the greatest good".

And when those who define "the greater good" as "being in LOCK STEP with THEM" _ENFORCE_ that "greater good" upon the free speech of OTHERS, you get the OPPOSITE of "the greater good", regardless of "feelings" or intent.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Delusional

bombastic

bɒmˈbastɪk

adjective

high-sounding but with little meaning; inflated.

"bombastic rhetoric"

synonyms: pompous, blustering, ranting, blathering; More

Silver badge

Re: for the greater good

(In a broad West Country accent)

"The greater good"

Thumb Down

Is Sadiq Khan actually a real person...?

I thought he was just an empty construction of social media, a Mayorbot, if you like.

The only thing he does is to get his name (with monotonous regularity) on every TfL poster around.

Anonymous Coward

Junket

Who paid for this guy's junket to Austin?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Junket

He will have to declare who paid for his junket to the GLA/London Assembly.

Now as to when that information will be made public is another matter.

He's definitely a different Mayor than Boris. I don't know if that is a good thing or not. Only time will tell.

Anonymous Coward

Khan do, won't do

Can't take Khan seriously at all, I had the displeasure of being on a flight with him... he was as rude little s#!t to both me and the cabin crew. He didn't spout any race hate or anything but practice what you preach in each of its forms.

Being nice doesn't cost anything and if you are a senior public figure, why would you be rude to joe public? No time for this clown.

Yes, I'm sure he is devastated :(

J27

Sadiq Khan sounds like he wants to control how everyone else lives their life. That's bordering on megalomania. It's a good thing he doesn't have any real power, otherwise he might try to take over the world.

Silver badge

Or in other words....

Would those with a desenting view towards our glorious anachro-communistic NWO just kindly fork off?!

Silver badge
Coat

Re: Or in other words....

"KHHAAAAANNN!!!"

Somebody had to say it...

Silver badge

Re: Or in other words....

To bad your version just isn't anywhere near as likeable, or as suave as the late Ricardo Montalban.

Free speech

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - born 1906, killed circa 2010 by social media.

Silver badge

Re: Free speech

@ Reader2435

""I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - born 1906, killed circa 2010 by social media."

Social media has made it quicker, cheaper and easier to post a view or opinion to more people worldwide. Its governments trying to kill such freedom.

Slx
Silver badge

It's a bit of a genie-out-of-bottle situation though. I'm not really sure that you can put it back in.

On the other side of it, the UK's nice traditional tabloid media has also been hugely responsible for what's happened with Brexit and Fox News and others are deeply responsible for the rise of Trump.

Is the problem social media, or is it just a world where we've lost the ability to distinguish between 'content' and 'journalism'.

Bronze badge
Mushroom

Meaning What?

That they should only be used to call the faithful to prayer three times a day?

Silver badge

WRT Twitter death threats, when did the Internet become real life? I recall back in the early days, when it was mostly Academic users, we used terms like 'netizens' to describe users of the World Wide Web, and saw it as some sort of alternate reality, a projection of ourselves in an alternate landscape.

So when did we start thinking that bile spewed in the upside down drips upwards?

I had death threats back in the day, usually some gun nut or religious fundamentalist. My usual response was 'send me your address, I'll come meet you IRL', and of course, they'd never dare doxx themselves, and to be honest, I wasn't ever going to buy the plane tickets.

I remember once perceiving Europe as becoming more and more liberal....everybody would eventually be able to express themselves without governmental interference.

It was a good feeling!

Silver badge

@ Gravis Ultrasound

"I remember once perceiving Europe as becoming more and more liberal....everybody would eventually be able to express themselves without governmental interference."

Liberal seems to mean something different over here. The translation being- thinking the 'right' way, or- only sticking to 'approved' words and topics, or- government good businesses baaaahd.

Big Brother

In other words....

We need internet communication corporations to do more CENSORSHIP of politically incorrect words and conduct more granular SURVEILLANCE of users in order to find and punish those who would make political incorrect comments.

A good way to FIX the internet would be to ban ENCRYPTION, except for government and corporate approved communication.

The politicians and corporations are ganging up on us. They want absolute control. I think they will win, because most people don't get the message and don't care.

Anonymous Coward

Learning from history

Before twitter and facebook there were other mediums that people used to use to attack politicians. Letters to the thunderer of course would only get through if the editor accepted them, but there was plenty of hate mail carried around by the royal mail before the days of the internet.

Perhaps letters should be banned or regulated. At least a hate filled rant via electronic means won't explode and blow your poor secretaries hands off like physical letter bombs do.

But back before the days of the royal mail it was common to attack politicians using pamphlets and there were moves by the luddite in power to ban those, and ban the printing press as they were the means of production.

I seem to remember from my dim distant past sitting in o-level history lessons that some of the protections built into the English legal system date from this period. It was decided that warrants could not be issued without naming the alleged criminal and what they were alleged to have done.

What ever technology comes along those who can't use it to enhance their grip on power will seek to have it banned.

Anonymous Coward

Effective if he mentioned Anti-Semetic comments

His speech would have been more effective if he mentioned Anti-Sematic comments, but wait Muslims are allowed to do that. Take the log out of your own eye before you go after the spec in mine.

Anonymous Coward

By the time the politicians eventually make some laws

(which will be full of holes and/or not cover the issue) the social media landscape will have moved on anyway

IMHO/IME Facebook (the website and app) social-media centre is in terminal decline. The cool kids aren't joining, and the oldies are posting less and less, and spending less time on there.

Leadership fail

This is a leadership fail, pure and simple. London needs a more competent and inspirational leader.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018