back to article Are you Falcon sure, Elon? Musk vows Big Rocket will go up 2019

SpaceX and Tesla chief Elon Musk assured the audience at Austin, Texas media 'n' tech megafest South by Southwest last night that his big rocket would fly next year. Possibly referring to the multi-year delay in the flight of SpaceX's Falcon Heavy and pretty much every other rocket launched by the upstart, or maybe Tesla's …

Re: Musk really does see himself as the Saviour of Mankind

"The Americans could have Moonbase 1, the Russians Moonbase 2...."

And Musk would then have Moonbase 0.

Silver badge

To make it self sufficent just in air and food you need plants. Huge numbers of plants. Insanely huge numbers of plants.

The question is then, will plants from Earth grow there even if there's water and nutrients? Sunlight and warm temperatures are needed. Does Mars get enough "sun" for plants to grow? The warm part is something else to reckon with. A greenhouse can do the warmth.... maybe... I'm not 100% sure though.

That would require a retcon; Moonbase 0 doesn't exist in the source material

Bronze badge

Re: minimum viable poulation size for the purposes of genetic diversity is 4,139 people

He's aiming for a million people on Mars. He's planning bigger, and over longer time scales, than you.

Anonymous Coward

certainly. read the 'unofficial' biography "Elon Musk' - a lot of the things he's done are covered and sense made of rather random operations and ideas.

Silver badge

Closing down sale?

We are told the americans plan to dump the ISS in 2028. That gives Musk about 10 years to make them an offer. Considering that it is impractical to drop it straight into the ocean in one piece, the disassembly into easily disposable chunks will take some time .... and considerable money.

If Musk was to suggest that he would take it off NASA's hands for free and do something useful with it (by then the BFR could well have been replaced by the MFingHR). Possibly converting it into a staging post for Mars trips. Then I wonder just what the practicality of such an idea would be?

Silver badge

Re: Closing down sale?

I can see a trend coming up here, if the successor to the BFR is going to be MFingHR what are they going to call the next one and the one after that, as they get bigger and bigger?

Silver badge

what are they going to call the next one and the one after that, as they get bigger and bigger?

Tiny, because it doesn't feel the need to compensate with its name? ;)

Silver badge

Heart of Gold? Bistromath?

I&I

ly

Silver badge

I think by then most of the ISS is probably not going to be worth keeping so you'd basically be left with just the super structure. But there are probably good reasons to have a moratorium on proposed manned trips to Mars in any case: expensive, dangerous and of little value.

WTFWT - What The Fuck Was That.

OMGIAR - Oh My God It's A Rocket.

MBTY - Mines Bigger Than Yours.

Rama, Rama II, and Rama III.

AWTY - Are We There Yet.

AWTY2 - Are We There Yet, Are We There Yet.

That last one can keep going on forever, just like Simpsons children.

"Musk vows Big Rocket will go up 2019"

up in flames?

Silver badge

He did leave that statement rather open-ended, didn't he?

Anonymous Coward

"...[Musk's] self-driving cars to be 200% safer than puny humans..."

It's not even the slightest bit difficult for any very good (very careful) driver to be much better than "200% safer" (even if that means 3x) than *the average* human driver.

Many truckers and other professional drivers are probably essentially "/0" (divide by zero) better than the average. Some of them earn multiple Million Mile Awards for driving perfection.

In other words, they've never have had an accident of any sort.

These trucker have not even crashed into the side of a Tesla that they perfectly failed to see against the sky.

Silver badge
Pint

"AI taking over the world."

I'm going to have to come up with a lovely stock photo to license out. But I can't be bothered. So I'll just toss this concept out there, public domain concept.

Here's the image:

The LCD monitor in the background is displaying a large friendly message about the CMOS/BIOS battery urgently needing to be replaced. The high power server computer case has been opened, with the screwdriver and case screws strewn about. The CR2032 battery package has somehow been torn open, with a shower of cells rained across the table. The selected little battery is firmly gripped in the robot arm. Those attentive to detail may notice that the robot's claw is made of metal, the lithium cell in the claw is faintly glowing due to the dead short circuit of the metal paw. The robot arm is poised over the motherboard. A HAL 2001 style large red glowing eye peers into the computer, and somehow manages to convey a subtle expression that indicates a deep concern about its chances of success.

That's the image. Help yourself.

Joke

So we have Big Fucking Rocket, how about Space Launch Shit (SLS)?

Anonymous Coward

Impossible

On another site's comments, someone pointed out that it would be impossible for anyone to send a man to Mars because:

The rocket could never be able to get through the Van Allen Radiation belt.

Man has never been higher than low earth orbit.

I've got to believe him, because he knows terms like Van Allen Radiation Belt and low earth orbit.

Anonymous Coward

Waste of Space?

So what is the point of it all exactly, it wastes serious amounts of energy, damages the environment in so many ways, burns serious amounts of money that could be put to other more meaningful use towards the worlds problems rather than blow it up on rockets that make no real difference to the world. Elon is great at building fanboy culture, but if you think about it going to Mars is about as much use as growing crops in remote areas of Siberia and pretending its a frozen planet. Rockets are never going to be real vehicles for real space exploration as they just aren't going to be efficient enough - ever. I bet he is laughing his way to the bank.

Silver badge

Re: Waste of Space?

RTFA

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018