back to article Samsung's Galaxy 9s debut, with not much other than new cameras

Samsung has formally launched its next-generation Galaxy 9 flagship smartphones just ahead of 2018's Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. This year's S9 and S9+ models feel like they're treading water versus last year's S8 and S8+. The screen spec is the same at 2960 x 1440 pixels, but Samsung says they're a bit brighter this …

Silver badge

Samsung slowing down Exynos versions?

According to the review at Anandtech, Samsung told them they were going to limit the much faster Exynos versions to performance roughly equivalent with the 845. They saw much lower than expected performance on most benchmarks they tried that was on par with the 845, except for Geekbench.

That would be a stupid plan if they did it, but I'd have to laugh if they did after all the Apple haters who thought it was a terrible thing that Apple limited the iPhones with Qualcomm hardware to match the LTE speed of the Intel hardware (i.e. an iPhone X can hit "only" 600 Mbps instead of 1 Gbps max)

Battery life

The only thing that would get me interested in a new phone would be a longer battery life. I care about that more than more pixels on the camera or face recognition or notches.

Silver badge

Re: Battery life

In that case the reissues Nokia 3310 4G has you covered.

Silver badge

Xiaomi Redmi 4A does it for me.

Recently got upgraded to Android Nougat (7.1) and have a slew of whizzkid features which I'll not use. Can't they make Android modular, so if you want a split-screen function, you just download the appropriate package? Keeping things lean and mean (and less battery-chomping as well).

I still have my old Huawei Mediapad T1 phablet, going strong despite a cracked screen.

Xiaomi is being used as a general day-to-day comms unit (whatsapp/telegram/email etc) whilst the Huawei is used for banking only.

Handset manufacturers will most probably start to collude and design handsets that expire after two years' use, no matter whether they're being used heavily or seldom.

I loved my S7 Edge but sadly I broke the screen. Decided on a second hand Pixel XL (original one) in the end. 128GB storage, Android O, no bloatware and it runs really smooth. Simply can't justify paying £800 for incremental upgrades any more, I'll keep this phone then maybe get a Pixel 3 or S10+ when the prices come down! I don't even use my tablet any more now today's 6 inch phones are so good.

My Nexus 6P 64GB still does everything I need of it and, surprisingly, the battery is still good for a full days heavy use or a couple of days light usage.

I must admit that the S9+ does look nice but, apart from the camera, does nothing more than my 6P so I'll be keeping it for another year at least and maybe longer.

Copy Apple + Paste, Edit Samsung

Apart from the lack of anything new from both of the top boys for useful features, Samsung can't help itself but be a clone of their competitor. The emoji thing is something they pulled from an apprectices side-project to match a side-by-side feature comparison with the iPhone X. Why? Animoji's are just there to woo the millenial/gen x users.

Still Samsung can't pull off anything imaginative (not saying the stuff they do isn't any good). There's a market to branch off business features (to battle corp's who dislike BYOD policies). My biggest issue with Apple is they won't allow profiles on their iOS devices to manage different user types. But their privacy/walled garden concerns (and reliability/consistency of patching) keep me there for now.

Bixby?

Does that turn the phone green and crack the screen?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018