back to article No sh*t, Sherlock! Bloke suspected of swallowing drug stash keeps colon schtum for 22 DAYS

A suspected drug dealer accused of swallowing his stash has become internet famous – after refusing to take a dump, and thus provide the cops their evidence, for 22 DAYS and counting. The 24-year-old fella was arrested by Essex police on January 17 in Harlow, England. He is believed to have wolfed down several packages of …

Silver badge

"Presumably this bit indicates using the back door approach"

Yes, the article has been changed. Archive.org has the original.

Anonymous Coward

Opiates

If the drug dealer was selling/swallowing opiate based pills he might not be able to sh*t even if he wanted to.

Silver badge
IT Angle

Re: Opiates

Depends on the drugs

Mine sometimes bung everything up... other times, I work from the smallest(and smelliest) room

But I'm left wondering why I give a shit about this when the suspect clearly doesn't

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge

so the court is compelling him to incriminate himself?

Silver badge

He already incriminated himself by being seen ingesting the packages, cops are just waiting on the evidence to appear naturally, so to speak.

Silver badge

Bullshit. Those packages are not proven to contain drugs, so yes, they're forcing him to incriminate himself. In the US, his lawyer would probably file for Habeas Corpus - charge him, or let him go.

Silver badge

BS on the BS. They know it's an indigestible plastic package that would at best pass through undigested and at worst harm the swallower. Why else would the suspect do so except to conceal it? Much like being arrested at the document shredder.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a court order to force feed a laxative.

Anonymous Coward

Habeas Coprolus

more likely

Silver badge

Random Internet person said:

"In the US, his lawyer would probably file for Habeas Corpus - charge him, or let him go."

Article said:

"However, the bloke – who has been charged with possession with intent to supply class A drugs – has refused to make use of the plod's facilities ever since his arrest."

Does random Internet person look stupid now?

TRT
Silver badge

His lawyer...

has submitted a motion to dismiss.

Coat

I bet he wishes he'd never sharted this, by now I bet he's champing at the shit to get out.

Has this ever been dung before?

It sounds unbelievable, but it stool true.

(with apologies)

TRT
Silver badge

You may think it's funny, but...

have you seen the damage that can be done to your insides by holding a poo in? My mate did. As his doctor said... "You know what you've done to your bowels, pal? Rectum."

Re: You may think it's funny, but...

Rectum? Damn near killed 'im!

Silver badge
Holmes

Nice precedent for our corrupt police

So plod can hold you indefinitely by lying to a judge that you have swallowed a packet that might be drugs and haven't pooped yet? That will never be misused.

Stopping this kind of police abuse of power is what the judiciary is supposed to be for.

Icon, because of course...

Silver badge

Re: Nice precedent for our corrupt police

> "Stopping this kind of police abuse of power..."

What abuse? If you come clean, they won't have anything to stick on you.

I admit, the chronically constipated may be inconvenienced...

TRT
Silver badge

The chronically constipated will no doubt produce hard evidence.

Anonymous Coward

"So plod can hold you indefinitely by lying to a judge that you have swallowed a packet that might be drugs and haven't pooped yet?"

If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to hold in. And unlike privacy, any sane person would be happy to let them have it in exchange for their freedom.

TRT
Silver badge

Not meaning to be anally retentive or anything...

Anonymous Coward

> If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to hold in. And unlike privacy, any sane person would be happy to let them have it in exchange for their freedom.

Spot the one who's never been unlawfully arrested.

Silver badge

"Spot the one who's never been unlawfully arrested."

To be fair, that's likely to be the vast majority of the population, let alone just the El Reg readership, so that's a pretty easy game to play.

Silver badge

If you have nothing to hide

Says Anonymous Coward.

What are you, some kind of stool pigeon?

Silver badge

If he was innocent and constipated he'd ask for a laxative and get it over with. Why prolong your own detention if you're innocent? He's refused food, who refuses to eat for so long?

AC said

"So plod can hold you indefinitely by lying to a judge that you have swallowed a packet that might be drugs and haven't pooped yet?"

I strongly suspect the application to the court consisted of more than just that one sentence.

Anonymous Coward

The solution is simple - pump the smell of food constantly into the cell. It will force him to eat. Job done.

TRT
Silver badge

The police are only interested in getting the job done.

Silver badge

He main go mind over matter and deaden his nose. I would think they would've tried the laxative approach by now.

Silver badge

The smell of police food? That explains why he is still stuck up.

Anonymous Coward

> The smell of police food? That explains why he is still stuck up.

It's not that bad actually. In my experience, presentation is below airline food levels and taste about the same, but on the other hand the rations are plentiful, nutritious and well balanced. Nothing to complain about in that respect.

Silver badge
Headmaster

Much more important

Is the need for a criminal prosecution for the CPS drone who said

“the one person preventing this from being resulted...

Abuse of the English language like that, using 'result' as a passive verb, deserves at least three years with hard.

Silver badge
Coat

Re: Much more important @ Pen-y-gors

"Abuse of the English language like that, using 'result' as a passive verb, deserves at least three years with hard."

Would you be subtlety suggesting that the CPS drone was anally retentive?

>> Thanks - it's the High Vis waterproof one with the rubber gloves in the pocketses.

"preventing this from being resulted"

Say whut...? That's not even English. No wonder the CPS has problems.

Silver badge

Re: "preventing this from being resulted"

"Say whut...? That's not even English. No wonder the CPS has problems."

The CPS has deeper problems. Good barristers can earn a lot doing commercial work.

The French system of parallel careers is a good one. Separate training for juges d'examen (if that is still a thing, I'm going on A level French studies.)

Silver badge
Go

Easy

No food for 3 weeks, just throw a bag of Ronald McDonalds fare in his cell. Add a large Coca Cola, he'll come clean...

Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: Easy @chivo

Er ... clean?

Silver badge

I guess he's doiing his best not to be

a stool pigeon.

TRT
Silver badge

It's the exact opposite...

of a dirty protest.

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

My question is...

... how did a shitty Essex story come to reported on from San Francisco? Is Iain Thompson a secret TOWIE fan?

Coat

I guess it's expected after an article like this, that it attracts lots of shit comments.

Mines the bad smelling brown one.

M7S
Coat

It's simple enough to get away with this sort of thing, just sit still

One might almost say...

...motionless.

I thank you.

Silver badge

Uhm, he need to drink some water or liquids, right?

If so, take a leaf out of the BOFH manual and bastardize his lager or liquid refreshment, so that he will impersonate both Timkin Rumbleguts and Grabpot Thundergust simultaneously.

Silver badge

"If so, take a leaf out of the BOFH manual and bastardize his lager or liquid refreshment, so that he will impersonate both Timkin Rumbleguts and Grabpot Thundergust simultaneously."

Such as that stuff in the "pre-op" pack the hospital sends you before a bowel endoscopy? That's like drinking dynamite and ends up with a "ring of fire" worse than any curry can cause.

Silver badge

What we call a colonoscopy. It's probably lactulose. Thing is, that stuff's easy to detect. It's salty (I have taken it once to deal with a bout of constipation).

Holmes

Iconic

See icon description, says it all really..

Silver badge
Holmes

Re: Iconic

Elementary my dear Watson

Joke

Enemantary my dear Watson.

FTFY.

"Alimentary my dear Watson"

FTFY

Silver badge
Holmes

@quxinot +, @onefang +

I was suffering from a bit of grammatical constipation there. Alimentary was the intended word. Will take a spoonful of syrup of figs...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018