back to article UK worker who sold customers' data to nuisance callers must cough up £1k

A staffer at an accident repair biz has had to pay almost £1,000 after he sold customers' personal data to cold-calling firms. Phillip Bagnall, who worked at Nationwide Accident Repair Services in Greater Manchester, England, was found to have snaffled up at least 2,700 customers' personal details, which were then used to …

Page:

1. TheVogon

I have used Truecaller for several years without issue. Blocks almoat all spam calls and tells me who most of the rest are before i answer.

Truecallers policy says "we would like to state that Truecaller does not sell data, and we follow Google Play and Apple Store policies, meaning we do not upload numbers to make them publicly searchable."

Most likely you installed a similarly named fake app.

2. Mr Dogshit

I misread that

I thought it said "11k" and thought "Hmm... it's a start I suppose. Should have cut his bollocks off with a rusty spoon though."

3. M Mouse

inadequate fine...

and I wonder whether he was paid with cash in an envelope or whether HMRC could investigate for undisclosed earnings...

They (HMRC) can make people bankrupt (and do, as I know to my cost, with plucked out of the air figures) and probably have more investigatory powers than ICO against individuals...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No other security software?

Don't waste time speaking to these low-lifes.

All my landline incoming calls go to answerphone unless the CLI shows a recognised number, otherwise I eavesdrop and if it's a wanted call, interrupt the answerphone. Peak time for spam calls is 16:00-19:00. Similar for mobile, an app screens calls for known garbage, then I choose: pick-up or leave to voicemail.

I will promise my vote to any political party that undertakes to drop the pussy-footing around and wipe out these scum.

5. Torchy

Lock him up.

He should have been locked up for an hour for every persons details that he sold on.

Punishments in the UK are anything but.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like