back to article ASA tells Poundland and its teabagging elf: Enough with the smutty social ninja sh*t

The UK's gummy-mouthed Advertising Standards Agency has given Poundland a gentle spank over a series of smutty tweets and posts on Facebook published over the Xmas period. The budget store positioned toy character Elfie at the centre of the double entendre laden #ElfBehavingBad* campaign, eliciting complaints from 85 people …

Silver badge

Bravo

Bravo Sir/Madam!

Silver badge

Re: Bravo

That should be incorporated into the headline, nicely done :)

Silver badge

The power and the glory

> The ASA, which has the power to ask ...

I am sure Poundland and every other advertiser is quaking in their boots. Imagine that! Being asked not to display an advertisement.

Although in this case the ASA's power is commensurate with the harm done: both stand at zero

Gold badge

Re: The power and the glory

If they breach that, the ASA can then move up to not allowing their ads to be published without being pre-vetted.

Although in the new days of Internet advertising, this threat is probably less strong than it used to be. I bet Google and Facebook don't comply.

Anonymous Coward

Elf walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre

You can work out the rest.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Elf walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre

Barman says "Fuck me ... an Elf" ?

TRT
Silver badge

Re: Elf walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre

Barman says "I'm sorry, I can't serve you; you look like you're Legolas already."

Coffee/keyboard

Ut oh

Let's all pray that the ASA doesn't notice El Reg's Playmobil shenanigans.

Silver badge

Re: Ut oh

No danger, no people of yoof on here - how would they cope with plain text comments, rit10 wiv no abbrevs?

Re: Ut oh

i read that as rot10 and dryeqrd ofobidrsxq kpdobgkbnc gkc qysxq dy lo oxmbizdon vsuo drsc!

Anonymous Coward

Isn't the 'humour' a tad highbrow?

These are Poundland punters after all.

Silver badge

Re: Isn't the 'humour' a tad highbrow?

The El Reg reader / Poundland consumer Venn diagram is not o o ... they do intersect.

.. albeit primary reason is because there is a branch very close to a rail station I often use, so I buy the odd Twin Peaks bar or whatever

The ASA is a good example of unintended consequences.

Set up to control the accuracy of adverts in relation to products and services and to prevent "snake oil" claims for products they have now moved into social engineering which currently seems to be the removal of any humour and general censorship.

I'm OK with their policing the extremes of prejudice but they should not have the right, triggered by low numbers of "Offended individuals", to spoil the innocent fun for the majority.

Why the FCUK they can't see the fun is beyond me.

Silver badge

Twiitter feeds

if ASA start treating all twitter feed posts by a company as adverts (and thus demand to pre vet everything posted) it could all get very silly, checking every tweet.

.. Though I'm half expecting a Poundland post with an image of several bells, all with an ASA logo on their "ends" or similar

Silver badge

Before we knew it was an actual company...

...our internal software group named themselves "megahard group". They had a nice, massive, cylindrical sign thrust rigidly at attention by the doorway... With two spherical shrubs planted at the bottom.

Complaints? Zip. Even the older women would grin at the sign... You've got to have real balls to display one like that these days!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018