back to article The blockchain era is here but big biz, like most folk, hasn't a clue what to do with it

As far as database giant Oracle is concerned, the October announcement of its Blockchain Cloud Service (BCS) was timed perfectly. After dabbling with blockchain internally for a year before joining the Hyperledger consortium in August, it had reached the point where its customers – and a market intrigued by what looks like …

Page:

1. David Roberts
      Windows

Re: Is El reg a home for the elderly now?

I totally get blockchain.

O.K then - share your top 5 real world uses and why blockchain outperforms alternatives,

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is El reg a home for the elderly now?

Indeed you are quite a thing.

1. steelpillow Silver badge

Who?

Who actually needs their transaction records to be distributed?

1. pdh

Re: Who?

> Who actually needs their transaction records to be distributed?

Maybe think of it as "shared" rather than "distributed." Here's an example of why that's useful...

A few months ago my cellphone provider threatened to cut off my service because I hadn't paid the previous month's bill. I logged into my bank's website and I was able to see that my check had cleared several weeks ago, and the phone company had cashed it, so this was clearly an error on the part of the phone company.

However, because the three of us have three different databases (me with my checkbook, the bank with my bank account info, and the cellphone company with their information about my account) and since one of the three databases disagreed with the others, it took two weeks and several phone calls and a bunch of emails to straighten things out.

A trustworthy shared / distributed database can help prevent this kind of thing. We got everything corrected in the end, but the dispute resolution process could have been streamlined pretty substantially if my bank and the cell provider had a shared database that they both trusted.

1. Justicesays

Re: Who?

"but the dispute resolution process could have been streamlined pretty substantially if my bank and the cell provider had a shared database that they both trusted."

Currently the database they both trust is called a clearing house, and it's where your cheque transaction actually happened.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheque_and_Credit_Clearing_Company

in the UK for instance.

The fact your cellphone company is a bunch of incompetent wankers won't change if they use blockchain.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

According to the Werner Vogels, CTO of Amazon...

... at a recent presentation/QA, when asked about Blockchain, paraphrased:

"While Amazon(AWS) is keeping a close eye on the technology, right now it's a solution in search of a problem. So far, we haven't found a problem that can ONLY be solved with blockchain."

He specifically excluded cryptocurrencies.

Make of that what you will. (Before you downvote: he said it! Don't shoot the messenger!)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: According to the Werner Vogels, CTO of Amazon...

>While Amazon(AWS) is keeping a close eye on the technology, right now it's a solution in search of a problem

https://aws.amazon.com/partners/blockchain/

3. RichardB

What I want to know is

... what does the British Computer Society have to say about this egregious appropriation of their TLA?

1. Wensleydale Cheese

Re: What I want to know is

"... what does the British Computer Society have to say about this egregious appropriation of their TLA?"

Harumph, Old Chap. This isn't cricket.

Anyone for another G&T?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Distribution

Um... to correct many of the comments here - Blockchains DO NOT HAVE TO BE DISTRIBUTED!!!!

It just so happens that the most famous blockchain is distributed, and it is distributed for a particular set of reasons that may not apply in other circumstances. Blockchain is simply a way of providing a history/log of transactions.

Using blockchains in currency it probably is a dumb idea, since currency has a high volume of transactions and the blocks will get very large very quickly and require more and more processing to validate. However, in supply chains it makes sense, in large assets which change hands infrequently, it makes sense. But for rapid high volume, not so much.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like