back to article Are you taking the peacock? United Airlines deny flight to 'emotional support' bird

An artist was left spitting feathers after United Airlines told her she couldn't board a plane with her "emotional support" peacock. In a video published by travel site JetSet, the woman is seen wheeling her case across the departures hall in Newark airport, New Jersey, with the large bird perched atop her shoulder, as …

Anonymous Coward

Never do this

Yeah, your emotional comfort rights end up right where my comfort begins.

Emotional Support Peacock

Their first two albums were essential, but they went downhill after the ocarina player left in '74.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Emotional Support Peacock

Yes, it was a sad time because the pan pipe replacement just didn't cut the mustard.

Silver badge

I was once at a gig and I saw a pan pipe player cutting the mustard. At least that's what I think he was doing, bent over the cistern.

Silver badge
Coat

at least he wasn't cutting the cheese

Anonymous Coward

I'm now worried about my emotional support donkey, if they think for one minute I'm not taking it on the flight they can kiss my ass.

Silver badge
Coat

If you fly with a donkey you're on burroed time.

Pint

emotional support donkey

But what about my emotional support warthog?

Re: emotional support donkey

Yeah, and my inflight entertainment baboon?

Silver badge

Eee awww eee awww

eee awwwtn't have said that

Silver badge

I want an emotional support tiger to deal with the annoying little brats who sit in the seat behind me and kick my seat back the entire journey.

Silver badge

As the Captain of the B Ark, I do hope they will still let me take my bath with me...

Anonymous Coward

An A-10 for emotional support? Sounds good to me.

Silver badge

sit in the seat behind me and kick my seat back the entire journey

Had that all the way on a flight to Dubai (from the UK). Whole family (well - women and children) in the row behind me.

Husband was up in 1st class - apparently his family didn't deserve the same luxuries as him.

Anonymous Coward

"[...] sit in the seat behind me and kick my seat back the entire journey"

My first commercial flight was 12 hours - in the long-gone days when everyone had a window seat on a 747. An emergency mission for the company - so I was travelling on the first eligible day allowed with my smallpox vaccination. Kid in the seat behind kept jabbing my sore arm.

Anonymous Coward

"Husband was up in 1st class [...]"

Travelled back from Bristol by train on a very hot summer's Saturday in the 1990s. The express route to London was "reservations only" - so I was on a train that ambled along the scenic route of the South Coast. Felt like a 1950s time warp in old BR rolling stock with no air conditioning - occasionally stopping at picturesque towns.

It was pretty much full of folks in summer holiday gear - except for the woman covered head to toe in a black burka. She and her two children occupied three of the four seats round a table. The fourth seat was empty. Later in the journey I realised that the man sitting a few seats away was apparently her husband.

Bronze badge

Some things were just never meant to fly.

Silver badge
Coat

Like my emotional support elephant

Sorry, I'll get me coat

Silver badge
Joke

Re: Some things were just never meant to fly.

This gives me an idea. I should try to board a flight with my emotional support turkey. Then, when denied access, I can utter the inimitable words of Mr. Carlson. To wit, "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly..."

* for my British cousins who might not know, "WKRP In Cincinatti" was a late 1970s sitcom about the amusing and bizarre life of a radio station and its staff. For context, here is the full episode

Silver badge

Some things were just never meant to fly

Peacocks can (not well though - about as well as yer average chicken) - I have a photo (taken on a loooong exposure) of them nesting on top of a 30-metre ruined wall. Top get there, they have to do a series of short flights upwards to get from the base of the walls (via lower bits of ruin) to get to the top.

I'm amazed at the audacity and sheer stupidity of some people.

It's a wild fucking animal - and a reasonably big one too.

Putting aside the obvious animal cruelty aspects - if that thing decided to attack other people in mid-air in a confined metal tube, it has the potential to do some serious harm.

Idiots... we're surrounded by idiots...

Anonymous Coward

Idiots... we're surrounded by idiots...

I am also dissatisfied with the general standard of the Emotional Support Commentards around here [1] :-)

[1] But not you, dear Reader - just all the other ESCs.

Anonymous Coward

"[...] it has the potential to do some serious harm."

You missed out their piercing screams.

I feel like this whole "emotional support animal" thing is a scam that people are using to fly their pets around for cheaper than if they did it properly.

Silver badge

Sadly the fallout from this will hurt the people who actually need animals for support. Last time I was back in the UK I noticed a few places had signs on the disabled loos saying that not all disabilities are visible; the fact they're needed suggests that some disabled people have been on the receiving end of some horrible abuse.

Silver badge
Coat

So, if you ever get caught using the disabled lav when you shouldn't, when questioned, just reply "WHAT?" to every question.

Monkey dust anyone?

https://youtu.be/lP1lpzvfrgA?t=982

Silver badge
Megaphone

"Sadly the fallout from this will hurt the people who actually need animals for support"

sorry, my compassion has been seared away by too many SJW types making B.S. claims (like emotional support peacocks). I say "put the animal in a kennel/crate as checked baggage" and be done with it. Or leave your animal at home. Or in a kennel/zoo/whatever or a friend that you've taken advantage of. whatever. NOT on the damn plane, please! NO exceptions.

/me points out that _CELEBRATING_ the lowest rung of society is bass-ackwards. We should be celebrating SUCCESS, not denegrating it. And we should be BERATING those at the bottom end who insist on inconveniencing the rest of us because "they have issues". JOKE 'em if they can't take a @#$%!!

Silver badge

A sadly

missed, very funny but dark show.

Anonymous Coward

Seems to me that the

liberals have taken over the asylum. Or forum.

Come have a beer with me.

Coat

Bird Brain

Not sure which was which.

Perhaps she was trying to wing it.... ok, I'll get my coat

S

Silver badge
Coat

Re: Bird Brain

Probably the pea(cock) brained one

Silver badge

'Owls of dismay

Good job Harry Potter can do his own flying then.

Silver badge

Special Snowlfakes at it again, wanting a "safe space" for themselves, and using their pets to do so?

Pfft, airlines should put their foot down and ban "emotional support animals" altogether. Too high a risk in a confined area moving at speed and at high altitude.

Silver badge

Problem is, yhere's an actual federal law in the books concerning them, due to people going into true panics without their comfort pets. Serves as an out for airlines otherwise faced with a dilemma.

Thing is, it doesn't apply here because the law let's airlines set a few basic criteria which in this case weren't met.

Silver badge

The ADA only applies to service animals not emotional support animals. See Q3 of the FAQ. Simply asking if it is a service animal required because of a disability and then asking what work/task it has been trained to perform will weed out a good number of cheaters as somehow I don't think sitting on your shoulder like an oversize pirate's parrot counts as work. Having said that, there is no need to bring or show certifications for the service animal so businesses have to take your word on it.

Silver badge

Not the ADA in this case. The Air Carrier Access Act (1986) requires airlines to accommodate for emotional support animals (NOT covered under the ADA because they don't provide physical services). Thing is, you need a letter from a therapist stating the need for the animals AND you need to let the airline know ahead of time.

Silver badge
Facepalm

"due to people going into true panics without their comfort pets"

To such people I say:

a) your psychological issues are not MY fault, nor MY business. If you can't sit in your seat for xx hours without going into a panic, charter your own damn plane or STAY OFF of the ones I fly on.

b) My compassion was seared and burned away LONG ago by all of the bleeding heart and SJW types. I just dno't give a CRAP any more. You want to fly, LEARN NOT TO PANIC.

c) Celebrating and coddling the lowest rungs of society ONLY ENCOURAGES THEM to be EVEN WORSE, instead of DEMANDING that they IMPROVE.

yeah it's frustrating to be 'a regular person'.

Silver badge
Devil

"if it is a service animal required because of a disability"

exactly. I doubt ANY reasonable person objects to trained service animals for people with _REAL_ disabilities.

Anonymous Coward

"yeah it's frustrating to be 'a regular person'."

Trouble is, failing to accommodate snowflakes can have tragic consequences. They can break down, fly into rages, and go into rampages, taking innocent people with you (including YOU). Remember, most rampagers have or had "issues".

So forget your compassion. Consider your self-preservation instinct.

Happy

'regular person'

Bob, I don't think anyone here would accuse you of being 'a regular person'.

Silver badge
Devil

Oh sorry!

I've inadvertently used Your Emotional Support Animal as my Lumbar Support Animal...

Now, don't get emotional...

Gold badge

Re: Oh sorry!

At least you didn't use it as your lunch support animal...

You don't need to fly

There are very few countries that really require you to fly in.

In Europe, the only one that comes into mind is Isreal.

The rest can probably be reached by car or boat. Just takes time.

Silver badge

Re: You don't need to fly

Since when is Israel in Europe?

Silver badge

They're in Eurovision, that's close enough

Silver badge

They're in Eurovision, that's close enough

Pretty much all of north Africa is. And the associate members include Australia and New Zealand.

All you need to be in EBU/Eurovision is to be a public service broadcaster, from the European Broadcasting Area (defined by ITU) or be a member of the Council of Europe.

Associate membership is available worldwide.

Anonymous Coward

A simple comfort animal that is both effective and considerate to others has been around for hundreds of years. It's called a teddy bear.

Unfortunately, because teddy bears are ubiquitous, they don't shriek "Look at me! Look at me!" in the way that an increasing number of Internet-fueled, narcissistic self-promoters crave.

Silver badge

Marketing opportunity?

Given the wonderful toy technology now available, I'm sure we could develop a cute teddy-bear that does indeed shriek "Look at me, look at me" whenever squeezed, and probably with Bluetooth as well.

Silver badge

A simple comfort animal that is both effective and considerate to others has been around for hundreds of years. It's called a teddy bear.

Teddy bears are just over a century old.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018