back to article In Soviet California, pedestrian hits you! Bloke throws himself in front of self-driving car

While commuter buses ferrying Apple and Google employees have been rerouted to avoid being shot at – reportedly with a pellet gun – GM Cruise has had less success keeping one of its self-driving cars out of harm's way. Earlier this week, the autonomous vehicle subsidiary of automaker General Motors (GM) said that one of its …

Anonymous Coward

Maybe this is how skynet is born? The cars start fighting back.

Maybe this is how skynet is born? The cars start fighting back.

I think this more leads to Maximum Overdrive.

https://media.tenor.com/images/15fd748c6eb080b018af7711b36ea504/tenor.gif

SVV
Silver badge

He moved his face rapidly towards my fist, your honour....

Aaaah, that good old time-honoured defence... However, it's good that these contraptions are being developed and tested in San Francisco, a place full of wasted droolers, as the software requirements should just have increased dramatically in size following this incident as they begin to realise just what they're going to have to cope with in the real world, rather than their imagined tech utopia. Once they're safe to use there, I might concede that they should be able to cope with other less challenging environments.

Bronze badge

Re: He moved his face rapidly towards my fist, your honour....

+1 on this, because it's not often brought up. It's one thing to drive an autonomous vehicle in Arizona, or on an interstate highway. But San Francisco? New York? Or (shudders from the memory) Dhaka, Jakarta, Naples?

Even high way driving is radically different between, say, Colorado and New Jersey. The highways around Newark for example appear to have been expressly designed to foster a sort of Thunderdome driving style.

I'm really looking forward to not having to drive myself, but I think I'm in for a very long wait.

Yevgeny Zamyatin fan?

Possibly a literary explanation?

He wrote a book about someone who throws themselves under cars.

Then the classic dystopian future book "We"

Just a thought :-)

Haven't been to SF El Reg?

"...Drugs or alcohol could just as well explain things..."

I propose rather than drugs or alcohol being a factor, it was just a typical Wednesday morning... I'll bet they didn't call the police because that person after striking the car immediately returned to the sidewalk, removed their shirt, and began yelling at a trash can for being an ar**hole.

Really, the locals in SF are sometimes a sight to behold.

Silver badge

Re: Haven't been to SF El Reg?

Um...the bye line says the article is by "Thomas Claburn in San Francisco", so likely he has been there.

Silver badge

Re: Haven't been to SF El Reg?

Um...the bye line says the article is by "Thomas Claburn in San Francisco", so likely he has been there.

Drugs or alcohol could just as well explain this.

Silver badge

Drugs or alcohol could just as well explain things

They certainly are the best explanation for the last few years. I just wish whoever is using them would stop and let reality get back to normal.

Anonymous Coward

"I just wish whoever is using them would stop and let reality get back to normal."

It has been said of England that the last nearly 100 years of civilised behaviour have been the aberration - and we are now getting back to "normal".

Anonymous Coward

Was the guy

White, fairly tall and holding a remote control shaped electronic device with flashing red numbers on it?

cough Data Universal /cough

AC but does anyone else here watch old sci-fi ?

Bronze badge

Pretty sad that the self-driving car lobby are now resorting to murdering pedestrians in order to advance their cause. Still, a lot of money is at stake and we can't have anyone... getting in the way...

Silver badge
Terminator

Here to help

This horrific accident is prof that humans need autonomous limbs to protect themselves from dangerous lapses of attention. Now here's the hMotion product - a little back-pack like device that serves as your personal assistant via broadband nerve interface. Don't be afraid. It has gigabit 5G, AR, and all your favorite selfie filters. There, that's it. Scroll to the end of the disclaimer and hit "OK."

Am I the only one

Am I the only one who wonders how a pedestrian could have walked into the rear corner of the car hard enough to damage the tail light?

That's either one very solid pedestrian or one really shoddily made car...

Re: Am I the only one

It's GM read Vauxhall what do you expect.

Silver badge

Re: Am I the only one

It's just your average chunky America vs plastic car.

SF ain't the only place

I've been sitting in a taxi stopped in traffic in Sydney's Kings Cross (back when it was truely a red light / night club district) and a guy came running out of the old Bourbon and Beefsteak night club smack into the side of the taxi, got up and began swearing, yelling and spitting at us until the taxi could drive-off and this was at 10 am in the morning. So SF ain't the only place for this type of behaviour.

Anonymous Coward

Sounds about right for America

Was once a passenger in a car in Vegas where, when turning left, a local decided to run across the crossing. The driver stopped in plenty of time, but the local decided to jump onto the bonnet and then feign injury, requiring the local ambulance services to take him to hospital, while his friend shouted at us telling us how we were going to jail and we were going to be sued for every penny we had.

Absolutely a con both here and in the case in the article.

Silver badge

Re: Sounds about right for America

There's a clip on YouTube somewhere with a car stopping at a traffic light - then two youngsters rapidly drag a moped in front of it, get on it, back it forcefully into the car's bonnet with the "passenger" slamming himself onto it as well. On the other hand the clip is on YouTube - so the young Thespians noticed the dash cam and scuppered away in a real hurry right after that...

Silver badge

Re: Sounds about right for America

That was a hoax, they are all acting:

https://youtu.be/UnP7-1-W4VQ

In Ely a few months ago, in a queue of cars waiting at a T junction. Car in front drives away, I start moving up to the stop line. Some guy in full on lycra running gear runs straight across the junction in front of me. Because there are houses on each side of the junction and he was at speed there was no way I could see him before he ran out. He rolls along the front the car. Then gave me an earful*. He hadn't even slowed down or looked as he ran across the road. He did slow down as he slid over the car. I was doing about 3mph at the most, which is not a huge speed, he was running faster than I was moving, yet he was still unable to avoid the incident.

If you are reading this you wankpuffin, you will, in all likelihood, die through behaviour like this. Cars are heavier than people, and somewhat more robust.

* I did return the earful.

Bronze badge

Do you enjoy driving into people on purpose or is it just fucking incompetence?

Headmaster

Nevada or Cambridgeshire ?

I am Offended

As a native Californian, I resent your use of the term "Soviet California". Everyone know it's the "People's Republic of Kalifornia".

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018