back to article US shoppers abandon PC makers in hour of need

America’s PC market sneezed in Q4 calendar and the rest of the world caught a cold: global sales declined in the final three months of last year, stats from Gartner indicated – although rival IDC did not concur. Shipments into the channel – retailers and tech distributors – dropped 2 per cent year-on-year to 71.6 million, …

Silver badge

Re: “US consumer confidence is high…"

So, everybody is really pennyless but the fake numbers make up for it. Pension schemes ain't gonna pay out.

2007, more powerful, when?

Anonymous Coward

Let them burn....

The usual suspects / PC makers... Let them burn... Bloatware / Crapware / Spyware? No thanks! predominantly / exclusively Windows-10 solely? - No thanks! Who wants to pay to have all your activity logged and slurped and sold on by Microsoft.. Plus Win10 Ads and Nags... And forced updates / guinea-pigs for M$ corporate customers.. Fuck that! ... But how about Win7 / Linux? Yes please, but hard to find...

FAIL

With all the "cost-saving advances" in tech...

somehow the price of PCs stays in the stratosphere - or beyond.

PCs are simply too expensive for what people get. I found some good sales in 2015 and picked up a good Lenovo all-in-one with touchscreen and keyboard for about $400. I haven't seen anything close to that since then. HP and Dell are totally ridiculous with their retail pricing for the consumer market.

Anonymous Coward

"PCs are simply too expensive for what people get."

Sure, while a $900 phone is cheap, for what you get, right?

Silver badge

Dazed and confused

'Course CONSUMER sales of PC's are down. Welcome to 2018 : Why would Auntie want to fire up a box next to and the size of a microwave to check her recipe for [black]/[bread] pudding? Why would Grannie want to struggle with a box next to and the size of a dishwasher to email little Johnnie and Joanie? All done on a phone, not even, or seldom, on a notebook.

What would be a lot more interesting and relevant is sales to companies.

Come to think of it what would be even more interesting is, given the ubiquity and multi-functional abilities of the desktop PC, how as a direct result the labour market for a given GDP has shrunk in 20 years.

I am going to stick my neck out here and say that 5 low- to medium-level jobs of a routine or clerical nature of 20 or 25 years ago should now be capable of being done by one person (trained, natch) and a desktop.

And even (it's OK I am going to stop soon) whole departments in larger companies such as internal mail delivery ought to have been mothballed by now.

Bronze badge
Coat

Re: Dazed and confused

"Why would Auntie want to fire up a box next to and the size of a microwave to check her recipe for [black]/[bread] pudding?"

Because she's cooking black box pudding.

"Why would Grannie want to struggle with a box next to and the size of a dishwasher to email little Johnnie and Joanie?"

Because a box was in the way.

I'll walk myself out with my box.

Silver badge

Still a huge market

Nobody should expect sales of anything (apart from baked beans and bog roll) to just keep on climbing year on year.

Each year products seem to be a little better made and longer lived. Examples include clothes and motor cars as well as computers.

This doesn't mean that in the near future there will be no market for new clothes, motor cars and computers. Just that corporates may not be able to deliver year on year growth.

You will know when things are starting to get tough when they introduce major scrappage schemes for PC hardware (not counting OS upgrades and bloating which have driven some of the replacement cycle in the last few years).

Anonymous Coward

PCs are now akin to a water heater, refrigerator or toaster.

A household appliance. Only the most hardcore gamers would upgrade constantly to the latest and greatest hardware. A mid-range machine one generation back is more than capable of playing most of the games out there.

It also doesn't help that Windows 10, preinstalled on all new PCs, is a 'work-in-progress-as-a-service' schizophrenic turd, and for generic web browsing and media consumption, the smartphone is more than competent.

Silver badge

Why upgrade?

I think desktop computers are vastly overpowered for their current surroundings. There's just no use for the extra power except for certain games. If desktop computer makers want to ramp up sales, they need to make some changes in the market.

1) Put an end to the idea that somebody else is the "cloud." Apple, Google, Microsoft, Twitter, and Amazon are holding back technology for their own benefit, trying to convince us to view the world through a web browser. Build consumer-friendly cloud software into every single computer - mail server, file sharing, web sharing, video conferencing, social interaction, etc.

2) Make IPv6 setup easier. Come on, it's time to standardize terminology so configuration is no longer a nightmare.

2) Fight telcos that block peer-to-peer communications. Install awesome cloud software and give it consumer-friendly diagnostics that can point a finger exactly at the place where communications is being blocked.

3) Move away from x86, MacOS, Windows, and Linux. They are archaic and too complex to maintain any longer. Let them die. Collaborate on creating open source virtual machines that can evolve independently of hardware and the low-level drivers. (Apple is doing this already but I don't think they have it right yet.)

Anonymous Coward

Re: Why upgrade?

"Build consumer-friendly cloud software into every single computer"

No thanks, that's a sure fire way to make sure I *don't* buy one.

Anonymous Coward

We struggle to give away laptops only a 5 years old. When we changed 350 devices from Windows 7 laptops to iPads we wiped the old laptops to factory and offered them to staff for free. We managed to give away about 30. These are not slow devices, so if we struggle to give them away people are not going to be rushing out to buy them.

Even at home i am swimming in laptops, 2 MacBook Airs, 1 MacBook Pro, 1 Mac Mini, 2 Windows netbooks and 5 Windows laptops. I will not bin what still works, but saturation is an understatement.

Yawn - space-filler news here

The "consumer users" that I know prefer portables. Sure, many families may still have one box, but everyone has at least one device, which they use most of the time. For 'serious" work, a laptop is more convenient than a box. The ad-flyers push the "laptop PC", just to drive the point home.

So, what's the important news here?

Anonymous Coward

BUgged intel

now that every Chip that intel makes for the next 2 years is a securitys risk whom is going to buy them.

Meltdown and spectre are efectable huge holes in every PC and now every intel system neeedsa WARNING atttached to it saying This system is not safe for any use. it will take 2+ years before they can design a chip without this bug.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018