back to article Hey, we've toned down the 'destroying society' shtick, Facebook insists

Facebook has taken the unusual step of responding to comments by former VP Chamath Palihapitiya that the social media giant was "destroying how society works". Palihapitiya said that executives ignored cautionary instincts when creating Facebook, and he now regretted the consequences. The Sri Lanka-born investor who grew up in …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

no problems now, nothing to see

but notice how Zucky keeps dipping his toes into the political swamp. Dumb enough to put his name out in front, or content to continue as the arbiter and decider of who is allowed to sit on the throne? Only his ego, and time, will decide.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A massive improvement on News Corp

Compared to shitheads like Murdoch, Facebook is excellent.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Facebook is nasty and addictive

I do photography as a hobby and started using Facebook as a way to improve my hobby and meet people. It's been good for me, I've got a book deal through my Facebook contacts after someone saw what I was capable of. I've made a great many friends in the UK photography scene and I've even made contact with some of the best known photographers in the UK who've praised my work. All great things that Facebook has given me.

However only recently I've begun to realise how f**king insidious Facebook and social media are. They made me an addict. I became addicted to posting image after image, it made me want to shoot better and better images, a good thing you might think. However it made me so desperate to shoot better images that I became obessed with my work to point that nothing was good enough, no image I shot was ever any good unless I got 1000+ likes. I started to judge all my images by how many likes I got on images. I didn't care what anyone thought, what their opinions of the images were, I simply wanted people to like them and I'd go nuts when they didn't 'cos I didn't get the addicts rush. I would go nuts if anything failed and it made me shoot images purely for the sole reason of posting on Facebook and nothing else. I shot the same old shit over and over in different ways simply to get a fix.

I've had a terrible year trying to find my muse, trying to find out why I can't find my mojo. A month ago I made a promise to myself to quit posting on Facebook. I still shoot images but not a single image I shoot for at least the next year will ever be posted online, not now and not ever. In the last month I've felt so much better. All the self imposed pressure to feed the insatiable social media machine has completely vanished. I'm now shooting images like crazy, out every single day before and after work, even lunch times, just shooting pictures for me and no one else. I'm enjoying it like never before because there is no reason to shoot them other than for me to enjoy it. It's hard to resist posting but like all addicts take it one day at a time.

Facebook is a addictive. People think you're an idiot when you say it, and as a rational person it does sound utterly stupid but everyone has something they can be addicted to. My love of shooting pictures as a hobby was almost ruined by my addiction to getting people who didn't really care about me or my pictures, to simply like them. I'd even paid Facebook to boost my ratings every so often to get a rush of friends and likes, utterly pathetic and no excuse but that's addiciton for you.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: Facebook is nasty and addictive

Would you like an upvote?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Facebook is nasty and addictive

Meanwhile, I upvote to make random AC addicted to El Reg.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

The future as nightmare

There is no technical reasons for this concentration of the means of communication. The original Internet was supposed to be about bringing people together with shared interests. The Facebooks are a bastardized corporate conspiracy to control and manipulate people, replacing rational discussion with f*****g likes. A self referential bubble of only like-minded people agreeing with one another. The majority of subscriber seem to consist of immature teenagers who confuse Facebook 'friends' with real life.

Or representative of commercial entities pretending to be same. Some Facebook 'star' pretending to chat with her 'friends' from the confines of her pretend bedroom. Foella or some such, describing her daily outfit that she just threw on, the entire cost adding up to the best part of a hundred quid. Or people recording their every tedious daily routine and broadcasting it to the Ethersphere, Pewdiepie or some such moniker for one example, I don't care. J.G Ballard once described such in a Vogue essay. It's the future as nightmare, none of this is real, go outside and talk to real people.

Every home will be transformed into its own TV studio. We'll all be simultaneously actor, director and screenwriter in our own soap opera. People will start screening themselves. They will become their own TV programmes.”, 1977 Vogue essay by J.G. Ballard

All this, of course, will be mere electronic wallpaper, the background to the main program in which each of us will be both star and supporting player. Every one of our actions during the day, across the entire spectrum of domestic life, will be instantly recorded on video-tape. In the evening we will sit back to scan the rushes, selected by a computer trained to pick out only our best profiles, our wittiest dialogue, our most affecting expressions filmed through the kindest filters, and then stitch these together into a heightened re-enactment of the day. Regard-less of our place in the family pecking order, each of us within the privacy of our own rooms will be the star in a continually unfolding domestic saga, with parents, husbands, wives and children demoted to an appropriate supporting role.”, 1977 Vogue essay by J.G. Ballard

“Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life.”, Steve Jobs

5. 0laf
    Meh

I'm not sure people are leaving but how much and what they post is changing.

I see far less personal 'life' information being posted. Far more facetious comments or forwarded funnies. It's no longer the running commentary to many peoples lives that it was.

Younger people I don't think are leaving becasue of any privacy concerns. I think commerce has sufficiently brainwashed them into being happy to reveal everything. But I think they are just bored and are looking to move onto the next thing and the next etc.

Plus FB just isn't slick as a comms platforms. It's a PITA having to manage multiple platforms to suit everyones' favourites and FB messenger is probably the clunkiest to use.

I've slipped into using Apple Messenger as my default without even knowing I was doing it. Which I suppose is a mark of well that suits me.

6. 0laf
    Pint

If you can find it... Radio 4 did a new series of the old C4 comedy sketch show Absolutely.

They did a skit of "what if Facebook could talk". It was quite good at highlighting how stupid FB really is.

1. Teiwaz

If you can find it... Radio 4 did a new series of the old C4 comedy sketch show Absolutely.

I'll have to keep an ear open for that...

i think the TV series ('89-92) was the last thing my entire family would gather to watch....

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like