back to article Facebook Messenger ... for who now? Zuck points his digital crack at ever younger kids

"Won't somebody think of the children!" Hur hur. It's the great, sarcastic war cry of the childless middle aged tech guy. For example, when somebody wants to restrict extreme smut. "Won't somebody think of the children?!?" cries Shed Man. Cackle cackle. Sure, let nobody think of the children, ever, and let's see what kind of …

Silver badge

Re: OK...

David Cameron who got a £25,000 one?

I was going to put "who bought one for £25,000" but I guess his advertising mentioning the company bought it for him.

Anonymous Coward

This is a desperation move from Facebook. They realise they are losing the teen and twenties market that their customers prize, so they think that getting the kids when they're younger mean they'll keep them - showing a total misunderstanding of how yoof dynamics work.

Silver badge

"showing a total misunderstanding of how yoof dynamics work."

Oh yes! The younger the child, the shorter the lifespan of the fad.

Bronze badge

"This is really a further expansion of Mark Zuckerberg's crack..."

If his crack expands too much, it'll get packed.

So much for disruption, innovation and all the rest of the gloss. Facebook has "reinvented" Happy Meals for Kids. BFD.

Get 'em hooked while they're young.

And just like Happy Meals, we'll insist that the product not be --acutely-- toxic and then call it all good.

Zuck

has simply run out of flies to eat shit.

Anonymous Coward

Year 6 children, or 10-year-olds, routinely use WhatsApp groups, parents tell me.

this might be the case in your case, but it certainly isn't the case in our case. Unless you're talking about SOME parents of SOME children in year six (and this applies to the following paragraphs too). Naturally, this minority is going to turn into 99.9% majority in year 7....

That said, there was a very interesting BBC piece (newsnight), not about the kids, but about effects on humans, in general. Actually, it's still on youtube:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoIufBVLDvM

While nothing new per se, it asked rather interesting questions, but the conclusions, which are not included in the piece, but followed, in the studio, were grim: there's no protection, there's no way back, we're all fucked. And it's only going to get worse.

Silver badge

Oh er!

Can we bring back article voting so I can upvote?

Silver badge

Miiverse

As a My First Social Network, Nintendo got it about right. It was moderated to within an inch of its life and if you got banned it meant you had to use a new Network ID which you didn't want to do as they are a limited number per console. It turned out to be a nice social network (mostly) about gaming.

Shame it just got knocked on the head, they didn't want to carry on with it on the Switch.

But a Silicon Valley business will never give us with a nice social network because they're obsessed with doing everything with dubiously-effective algorithms instead of realising that they need spend money enploying humans to proactively moderate.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018